View Full Version : New Hotel News

SOONER
12-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the board, but wanted to share some news about the proposed Embassy Suites planned for Bricktown. Talked to Mr. Hammons himself and told me plans for construction are to begin late 06 (added it would be ten stories, personally wish it was a bit taller). He wouldn't share the location, but did say it's definite. I know it's been talked about for some time, but at least it can be confirmed, sort of. He plans on making an official announcement soon.

Patrick
12-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey Sooner. Glad to have you participate here! Thanks so much for the information. Glad to hear Embassy Suites is still a go for Bricktown. A 10 story Embassy Suites will be a nice addition to the area. Would give us 3 hotels in Bricktown, the other two being the Residence Inn and the Hampton Inn.

BricktownGuy
12-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Yes, the Embassy Suites is a go.

The delay apparently has been caused by an underground electrical line had to be rerouted and a deep sewer line caused a change in the exact location of the building.

Location: between Bass Pro and Sonic headquarters. 250 rooms.

This hotel brings Hammons investment in Bricktown to $118 million.

Doug Loudenback
01-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Yes, the Embassy Suites is a go.

The delay apparently has been caused by an underground electrical line had to be rerouted and a deep sewer line caused a change in the exact location of the building.

Location: between Bass Pro and Sonic headquarters. 250 rooms.

This hotel brings Hammons investment in Bricktown to $118 million.

Bricktown Guy, are you sure that you're not talking about the RESIDENCE Inn, under construction in the area you mentioned? See pics below ...

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/residenceinn02.jpg

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/residenceinn01.jpg
http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/residenceinn03.jpg

BricktownGuy
01-01-2006, 03:16 PM
hmm. what I had posted is what I had read recently.

Nuclear_2525
01-01-2006, 06:12 PM
on that Residence Inn, is that parking lot facing the canal, or is the hotel going to be right up next to the canal?

Doug Loudenback
01-01-2006, 06:40 PM
on that Residence Inn, is that parking lot facing the canal, or is the hotel going to be right up next to the canal?

The parking lot faces Reno and the canal is a bit south of the Residence Inn tract - it does not abut the canal on the south. If you look at the pics, above, particularly the 3rd which looks west and a little southwest on Reno from the corner of the Residence Inn tract, you can see (left to right at the right side of the pic) Toby Keith's, Harkins and Sonic, which should give you the correct perspective.

downtownguy
01-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Just to clarify. John Q. Hammons was going to build an Embassy Suites between Sonic and Bass Pro Shops. He switched that to a Residence Inn, which he is building now. He is about to announce an Embassy Suites somewhere else in Bricktown and/or downtown.

Patrick
01-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Hmmm....notice downtownguy mentions "and/or downtown." Interesting.

BricktownGuy
01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
alright. What I had posted some something I had read from a good reputable source. But, I guess it must have been a misprint. I had just read this about 1 month ago, but still must be incorrect.

Sorry, about causing confusions.

Doug Loudenback
01-04-2006, 09:07 AM
The parking lot faces Reno and the canal is a bit south of the Residence Inn tract - it does not abut the canal on the south. If you look at the pics, above, particularly the 3rd which looks west and a little southwest on Reno from the corner of the Residence Inn tract, you can see (left to right at the right side of the pic) Toby Keith's, Harkins and Sonic, which should give you the correct perspective.

It appears that I was wrong, above, when I said that the southern boundary of the Residence Inn tract will not abut the canal. I took several new downtown & Bricktown pics on Monday and the pic below looks north at the Residence Inn tract ... and it surely looks as though the property will be very near the canal.

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/residenceinn04.jpg

Nuclear_2525
01-04-2006, 01:04 PM
wouldn't it be nice if hammonds was clearing off that land next to the canal to build some retail areas...even though I know that is not the case.

swake
01-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Hey, I am just going by his name, but I bet Bricktownguy (R. Patel) knows a lot more about the hotel industry than he is letting on.

I worked in telecom for a number of years and a lot of my customers were hotels. Well over half of those hotels were owned and/or run by people whose last name was Patel. I had one such gentleman tell me that 75% of the hotels in the United States were owned by members of the Patel family. I had no reason to doubt him based on what I saw. Must be a big family.

brianinok
01-04-2006, 05:50 PM
From what I understand, Patel is like Smith. More than one family.

Also, from what I understand, the Residence Inn will have a small, skinny pool beside the canal (behind a fence or wall), then the building will go up. So, it is very much "on the canal."

Doug Loudenback
01-04-2006, 05:54 PM
From what I understand, Patel is like Smith. More than one family.

Also, from what I understand, the Residence Inn will have a small, skinny pool beside the canal (behind a fence or wall), then the building will go up. So, it is very much "on the canal."
Thanks! That adds some clarity.

BricktownGuy
01-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, Patel is like Smith, fairly common.

But, I would say that probably 75% of the hotels in the United States are owned by Patels.

mranderson
01-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Yes, Patel is like Smith, fairly common.

But, I would say that probably 75% of the hotels in the United States are owned by Patels.

My family has a friend who has the last name Patel. He calls himself the Smith of India.

BDP
01-06-2006, 11:28 AM
the Residence Inn will have a small, skinny pool beside the canal (behind a fence or wall),

So, they're building on the canal, but walling off the property from it?? Sometimes I wonder why we even built the thing with how the developments on the lower end seem to ignore it rather than incorporate it.

swake
01-06-2006, 11:49 AM
So, Bricktownguy, do you own or are you planning on soon owning a new Bricktown hotel? Is there a plan you can share?

BricktownGuy
01-06-2006, 05:26 PM
lol. It is a possiblity in the future. Although, I may stay a silent investor.

Currently weighing all options. My investments may not be limited to just hotels, though.

Nuclear_2525
01-06-2006, 08:42 PM
lol. It is a possiblity in the future. Although, I may stay a silent investor.

Currently weighing all options. My investments may not be limited to just hotels, though.

Hotels are boring anyway...I say go for high-rise residential!!!

shane453
01-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Okay, how does everyone here feel about the Residence Inn having a green roof? Or a pitched roof at all?

It's not consistent with Bricktown architecture. Nothing in Bricktown has a pitched roof. I wish they would have realized that before starting construction. It's going to look terrible, if you ask me.

I suppose it wouldn't be too late for them to realize their error and correct the roof design. But I just wanted to know why no one else noticed the inconsistency? I think it's a pretty tacky design...

John
01-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Okay, how does everyone here feel about the Residence Inn having a green roof? Or a pitched roof at all?

It's not consistent with Bricktown architecture. Nothing in Bricktown has a pitched roof. I wish they would have realized that before starting construction. It's going to look terrible, if you ask me.

I suppose it wouldn't be too late for them to realize their error and correct the roof design. But I just wanted to know why no one else noticed the inconsistency? I think it's a pretty tacky design...

The roof and roof lines match those of Bass Pro and the Courtyard. Two of downtown/bricktowns finest examples of architecture! :rolleyes:

BG918
01-07-2006, 06:10 PM
I won't judge it completely until it's done but it sure doesn't impress me much from the renderings. I could come up with a much better design that incorporates the canal and has canalside retail/cafes and no surface parking. I still don't understand why they had to deviate from the entirely brick warehouse theme. That is what makes the area cool and they are ruining it.

brianinok
01-07-2006, 06:56 PM
So, they're building on the canal, but walling off the property from it?? Sometimes I wonder why we even built the thing with how the developments on the lower end seem to ignore it rather than incorporate it. Well, incase you have forgotten, it is illegal to not have a pool behind a fence. From what I understand, it will be behind a wrought iron fence, with some landscaping. The pool and courtyard area will tie the canal to the hotel building itself. It's not meant to be "separate."

I know we all want the best for Bricktown, Downtown, and all of OKC, but I am getting sick of everyone (and I have been guilty, too) complaining about every single project that is announced. The reason I have been coming on this board less and less lately is that every story has a negative spin on it. Is there another board that is at least middle-of-the-road that I can go to? :surrender

TheImmortal
01-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Would you rather we settle for mediocre projects? I would rather have no hotel than one that looks as if the developers could give a rats ass about improving the area. I am not trying to be a jerk, but all of us just realize that more could be done to make this a better project, and it is blatantly obvious.

BDP
01-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, incase you have forgotten...

I didn't forget. I never knew it. I must have missed the discussion on pool statutes. But if that's the case, then get rid of the pool. It's kind of disgusting to watch these developers take the very thing that makes their location valuable and wall it off or surround it with black top. I can't blame people for complaining about developments which have completely ignored, ruined, or undermined the spirit of the public improvements that give their projects reason to exist in the first place. It's a slap in the face to people who cared about the area, so until we see developments which are conscious of their surroundings and the public investment made, you will continue to hear complaints which, imo, are wholly justified.

BricktownGuy
01-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Hotels are boring anyway...I say go for high-rise residential!!!

Some like it hot, some like it cold. Just a matter of opinion.

Hotels can be interesting, depends on the developers.

http://www.shangri-la.com/miami/shangri-la/en/index.aspx

Nuclear_2525
01-09-2006, 08:58 PM
You build a hotel like that downtown and I will take back the statement about hotels being boring!!!

venture
01-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Build a hotel with plenty of glass/natural light...and throw in an indoor water park - and it'll be the busiest hotel in downtown. :)

BricktownGuy
01-19-2006, 10:58 PM
I was not hinting that I would be teaming up with some investors for a hotel like the Shangri-La Hotel in Miami. I was simply saying that hotels can be interesting.

I am NOT saying OKC could not support a hotel like the Shangri-La Hotel in Miami either. Currently, at the moment, no it could not, but in the future, its possible.

The Shangri-La hotel in Miami will be part of a $480 million mixed-use Island Gardens project. Cost for the hotel itself, is unknown by me.

But, back to Bricktown Hotels now...

BricktownGuy
02-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Look for more NEW hotel news to come in the coming months.

metro
02-10-2006, 02:48 PM
sounds interesting.............

Nuclear_2525
02-10-2006, 04:18 PM
I HATE EVERYONE OF YOU THAT MAKES COMMENTS LIKE THAT!!! Just wait to say something until it is a couple days off! LOL

HOT ROD
02-10-2006, 04:44 PM
ha ha ha ha ha, lol.

Ya, I hate the suspense also.

But Im definitely glad to have it - versus nothing to report (like in the late 1980's-1994)!!!