View Full Version : Possible Relocation to OKC

Newpoint
12-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Hello,

My husband is in advance discussion w/ a company in OKC & heard good things 'bout Edmond. A quick quick search on OKC, however, got me a little nervous 'bout tornados. I have small children & wanted to see how you guys deal with such conditions?

Am I just getting too paranoid??

BDP
12-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Tornadoes are generally isolated events which occur with other storm activity. The X factor is that their behavior is largely unpredictable as to where exactly they will go and how long they will last. But it's far more predictable that, say, an earthquake and much less widespread. The conditions which produce tornadoes are well known and our local weather people will constantly remind you when those conditions exist... over and over again.

Chances are that, if you move here, you will never be hit by a tornado, but will probably take your "tornado precautions" a few times. That just means that when there is a storm producing tornadoes in your area, you will get in the center most part of your house, preferable a closet or bathroom, or basement (which you won't find in Edmond) and snuggle down with your kids and listen to the radio for half an hour or so until it passes.

Basing your life around it would probably be a bit paranoid, but not being aware and prepared would be foolish. I grew up here and have never met anyone who has been directly hit by a tornado. A little roof damage here and there, maybe losing some trees in a storm, but not a full on tornado strike. However, we do have a tornado kit (water, flashlights, batteries, radio, etc.) and we usually spend some of our spring in the basement watching weather radar, usually with me trying to calm the paranoia of my wife who is from California. :)

Keith
12-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Tornadoes are generally isolated events which occur with other storm activity. The X factor is that their behavior is largely unpredictable as to where exactly they will go and how long they will last. But it's far more predictable that, say, an earthquake and much less widespread. The conditions which produce tornadoes are well known and our local weather people will constantly remind you when those conditions exist... over and over again.

Chances are that, if you move here, you will never be hit by a tornado, but will probably take your "tornado precautions" a few times. That just means that when there is a storm producing tornadoes in your area, you will get in the center most part of your house, preferable a closet or bathroom, or basement (which you won't find in Edmond) and snuggle down with your kids and listen to the radio for half an hour or so until it passes.

Basing your life around it would probably be a bit paranoid, but not being aware and prepared would be foolish. I grew up here and have never met anyone who has been directly hit by a tornado. A little roof damage here and there, maybe losing some trees in a storm, but not a full on tornado strike. However, we do have a tornado kit (water, flashlights, batteries, radio, etc.) and we usually spend some of our spring in the basement watching weather radar, usually with me trying to calm the paranoia of my wife who is from California. :)
Plus, since Oklahoma is in tornado alley, the meteoroligists in OKC have the most updated technological radar systems in the country. We also have an excellent warning system that has been proven effective. Around here you learn to respect tornadoes and keep a close watch on the weather when a tornado watch is issued.

The tornado precautions that BDP posted above are excellent. As long as you follow those precautions and pay attention to the weather men on severe weather days, you will be just fine. After 44 years living in Oklahoma, I have never had any damage from any tornadoes, and I have never had the desire to live anywhere else.

Karried
12-26-2005, 02:10 PM
We relocated from CA nearly 3 years ago from the Bay Area ... I too was scared to death of tornados.. so far, so good.... nary a flying cow! ( But, in the very beginning, I was in my shelter even when the state was under a simple 'watch'.. ha,ha I still laugh at myself hiding in the shelter until a neighbor called my husband at work and told him to Nextel me to come out of the shelter as a tornado watch would be in effect all day long! ) I'm still the laughing stock of seasoned storm chasers on the block!

At any rate, I would love to talk to you about Edmond.. I love it here - absolutely wonderful place to raise children... and a shameless plug, I am a Real Estate Consultant/Realtor and can give you instant access to every property in the area... I won't bug you or hassle you - not my style.. just let me know if you want to see anything or have any questions. karrie@churchillbrown.com

Welcome to OK!

okcpulse
12-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Newpoint, I have lived in Oklahoma all of my life... 27 years... and have only seen one tornado in my life time. We average 53 (mostly weak) tornadoes per year across the state. Oklahoma covers over 69,000 square miles. The last major tornado in the metro was in 1999. The last F3 tornado was in 2003.

I was raised in Edmond and graduated from Edmond Memorial High School in 1998. Edmond is a beautiful suburb and has come a long way even since I moved to OKC in 2000. Here is a definite insiders tip for you...

North Oklahoma City (just west of Edmond) is the fastest growing region in the state. Why? Residents in this region north of Quail Springs Mall enjoy several benefits. (1) Edmond Public Schools and Deer Creek Public Schools. (2) Lower cost of Oklahoma City utilities. (3) Lower property tax levies, and (4) right next to a major regional shopping power center. Everything you need is at the intersection of Memorial and Pennsylvania, including more than a dozen good restaurants, 24 theaters, shopping mall with 140 stores, two bookstores, three electronic stores, two home improvement stores, two supermarkets, one wholesale warehouse, and several banks. Only downside of this area is bad roads. The rapid construction growth tore up otherwise country farm roads, but OKC is working hard to widen every county road in that area. That and traffic.

In east Edmond, the terrain comprises of trees and hills, easy access to I-35 and near Arcadia Lake. And, if you like upscale shopping, Spring Creek is a work in progress on 15th and Bryant.

You'll love Oklahoma City. Don't worry about tornadoes. They are often short-lived and damage paths narrow. Remember, no matter where you are on planet Earth, you cannot escape natural phenomenon, be it floods, typhoons, earthquakes, blizzards, tornadoes, electrical storms, mudslides, hurricanes, etc.

Newpoint
12-27-2005, 05:52 AM
Thank you all for your quick and thoughtful insights. I've been reading EdmondSun newpaper on a regular basis to get informed 'bout the area. If everything goes well, we might take a couple of days trip to OKC (sometime early next month) to get familiarized about communities.

Thanks again.

Midtowner
12-27-2005, 07:09 AM
Don't move to Moore, OK.

That is all.

Karried
12-27-2005, 08:01 AM
Midtowner - lol - I give you the award for your shortest comment on record! :congrats:Ha,ha..

Jack
12-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Check out the east side of Edmond. It's absolutely lovely. Very heavily wooded, gently rolling hills.

Jack
12-27-2005, 03:18 PM
BTW, tornados are only an issue a few weeks during the spring, and even then, most are mild and in rural areas. Tornados typically steer away from the concrete of the city. We have many many structures that have been standing for close to a century. I don't believe Downtown OKC has ever been hit by a tornado.

If you move here, remember, our media goes overboard. So don't get too scared off by them. If there'a little wind, they'll cry tornado! LOL!

Karried
12-27-2005, 03:35 PM
That's interesting - why do tornados steer away from concrete?

Midtowner
12-27-2005, 04:10 PM
I'd speculate that it has more to do with the durability of concrete structures as opposed to mobile homes than the fact that tornados simply haven't been that way. Jack, I hate to turn this thread in to 'one of those' types, but do you have any science to back that up?

Randy
12-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Don't move to Moore, OK.

That is all.
Actually, I lived in Moore for over 20 years, and find that Moore is one of the best places to live.

Jack
12-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Midtowner, it's pretty much a known fact that every weatherman has mentioned. Dry city heat rising from the concrete of the city dries out storm systems and weakens them. That's why when tornadoes leave the city area, much of the time the storm is weakened and doesn't spawn any more tornados. In contrast, tornadoes pick up steam over farmland which is made up of cooler, more humid soil.

Jack
12-27-2005, 07:10 PM
At the same time, moist areas, like lakes tend to spawn tornadoes. That's why water spouts are so common.

Keith
12-27-2005, 08:11 PM
At the same time, moist areas, like lakes tend to spawn tornadoes. That's why water spouts are so common.
I remember several years ago when a tornado struck NW. OKC. The tornado did not actually touch ground until it was over Lake Hefner. As it moved in to western Okla. County, it was just a funnel until it got over Lake Hefner. Then it dropped down on Lake Hefner and moved NE across the NW part of the city.

Newpoint
12-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Hello,

would you guys recommend me a decent apartment (short-term, about 6months until find a house) around Edmond area? I have searched Yahoo real estate section & saw some good looking ones, but I wanted to check w/ you guys.. Thanks!!

brianinok
12-31-2005, 09:24 AM
I am not sure what apartments are offered in actual Edmond, I am sure there are some nice ones. I assume that you are looking for Class A apartments, so that is the info I will give you. In far north Oklahoma City (just west of Edmond), in the Edmond school district (if that is important to you), there are 3 nice Class A apartments. They are in the Quail Springs area. There are loads of shopping and restaurants in the area, and more being built all the time. The 3 are:

Sycamore Farms
Stoneleigh on May
Quail Landing

I live in Quail Landing, so I know the website. It is http://www.quaillandingapts.com. And their phone is 405.749.1310.

Sorry, I don't know the others' websites or phones, but I am sure you can look it up online. You can get attached garages at all these places. The thing I like about Quail Landing is that every building is only 2 stories. I live on the 2nd floor above garages, so noone disturbs me, and I don't disturb anyone. That is a very rare find in apartments (that are not concrete structures, like downtown).

Yodachaos
01-02-2006, 09:11 PM
The apartments by Qual Springs mall are pretty nice. They are on penn I believe heading toward33rd street. The last I saw they are pretty high but very nice.(might of been mentioned above)

Other than those most of the apartments intown edmond arent the best. im getting you want to rent at a nice complex, so you will probably want to rule out any section 8 apartments. from what i have seen and heard from people is that the section 8 apartments arent that nice.

If you want a more detail i can look around in the next few days.

Curt
01-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Those apartments behind the Hampton Inn across from Quail Springs mall, and behind IHOP dont look too bad to me, I noticed them when I was staying at the Hampton a few weeks ago.

Newpoint
01-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks, guys. You're right. I'm looking at class A type apartment, especially when my future employer might cover 1/2 of the bill (for 'bout 3 months).. I'll use Google Earth to look at streets/buildings & so on until I have a chance to visit there sometime this month.

Thanks again.

Midtowner
01-03-2006, 07:56 AM
In Edmond, Legacy Woods is considered to be the best apartment complex. Also, you'll find that the schools on the north part of town (in the North HS and Memorial HS districts) tend to be a little nicer -- at least that was my observation from subbing there for a year. On the south side of town, you get a lot of Oklahoma City kids whose parents view Public school as a babysitting service, and not someplace for their kids to better themselves.

Yodachaos
01-03-2006, 09:51 AM
have to agree with midtowner on that. I havent checked out all the apartments in Edmond.

John
01-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Quail Landing/Sycamore Farms/Stoneleigh are the place to be in NW OKC for class A apartments.

In Edmond, Legacy Woods was pretty much the only class A digs until Villages @ Stonebridge just opened on Blvd, just south of 33rd.

Jack
01-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Have to be careful with the apartments around Quail Springs Mall. Most of those mentioned are okay, but those around 122nd and Penn, Rain Dance, The Highlands, etc. aren't good. Lincoln Greens and Grouse Run are kept well, but I don't care for that area. Quail Run is fair. Quail Lakes is fair.
Most complexes in Edmond are decent, EXCEPT the one off 15th and Boulevard.

Crown Pointe, The Gables, Deer Creek Condominiums, and the Warrington along 122nd and MacArthur are decent.

Yodachaos
01-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Broadway village is also pretty bad. when I lived there there were drugs in different part of the complex. police were out there all the time. im pretty sure there was a meth lab. thats been about 3 to 4 years. but when i have been driving past it, it still looks no that well kept.

Midtowner
01-03-2006, 02:29 PM
I don't like Edmond. Too much traffic, no plan for expansion except to maximize the profits of developers.

I just needed to get that off my chest.

Jack
01-03-2006, 02:39 PM
I don't like Edmond either. Getting in and out of Edmond sucks.

Yodachaos
01-03-2006, 02:51 PM
its ok. certain parts of edmond is ok. traffic is getting worse.

Karried
01-03-2006, 04:12 PM
I researched cities for months before choosing Edmond. I'm so glad I did.

Yeah, the traffic is congested at times but that's because there are so many retail choices, eating establishments and so many people have chosen to move here.

I like Edmond but that's because I feel it's a great family oriented place to raise children and give them a quality education. I think families and people who have children can better appreciate good schools and safe 'somewhat boring' suburban areas. Not to mention, I like the statistics for educated professionals living here and the low crime rates.

If I didn't have children, I might like the excitement of downtown or the fun of a college town like Norman, but I have to think about the best place to raise my family which I believe is here, some don't - that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Curt
01-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Well Karrie..I think you made a wise choice myself in relocating where you did.

brianinok
01-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Back to the topic at hand:

Steer clear of the complexes south of Memorial Rd. There are about 10 of them. A couple are okay, but most are not. And with the neighbors not being good, the good ones can go downhill fast. None of them are Class A anyway (built in 70s and early 80s). Stick north of Memorial Rd with Quail Landing, Stoneleigh on May (both on May Ave), or Sycamore Farms (on Penn Ave). If you want to be in actual Edmond, the two mentioned earlier as Class A in Edmond are good. You would be okay renting from any of these 5 sight-unseen. But, if you are going to make a trip out here, if this is the area you want to be in, I am sure you will end up at one of these 5 complexes.

Karried
01-03-2006, 05:33 PM
brianok - I agree completely with your recommended apartment complexes... anything North of Memorial is okay - May - North of Memorial is very nice.

okcpulse
01-03-2006, 06:18 PM
newpoint,

Remember if you are using Google Earth, those images are from 2002 for the Oklahoma City metro area. I can tell by what isn't there on Google Earth.

And, some streets have been widened in that area, such as Western between Memorial and NW 150th. NW 150th is undergoing improvements between Western and Pennsylvania as we speak.

JOHNINSOKC
03-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Edmond is a great place to live, but Moore is the leading growth suburb in OKC currently. In fact, Moore led all suburbs in housing starts the past two years. I liken Moore to Edmond in the 1990's. It's THE place to be despite it's recent reputation for tornadoes. The Moore School District is on par with Edmond and Deer Creek. It has always had a great reputation for it's schools. Moore is also the third largest school district in the state. So, Edmond is not the only place to be in the metro.

Mandy
10-22-2006, 04:27 PM
This thread is almost a year old, and I found it through a search engine when looking for info about Quail Landing apartments. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them online. I haven't seen any other apartments as nice that are in the same price range online. I am moving to OKC in December, and I'm wondering if Quail Landing is still a great place to live. I've heard nothing but nice things about it (online)! I just hope they have the apartment I need available when I move! We're calling Monday!

Any information and opinions about Quail Landing a year later is appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Patrick
10-22-2006, 04:32 PM
This thread is almost a year old, and I found it through a search engine when looking for info about Quail Landing apartments. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them online. I haven't seen any other apartments as nice that are in the same price range online. I am moving to OKC in December, and I'm wondering if Quail Landing is still a great place to live. I've heard nothing but nice things about it (online)! I just hope they have the apartment I need available when I move! We're calling Monday!

Any information and opinions about Quail Landing a year later is appreciated!

Thanks! :)

I looked into them a few years ago and turned them down for a number of reasons. First, being so close to the mall, the mall traffic would've annoyed the heck out of me. Second, I thought they were overpriced. There's nothing really special about them that makes them any differnet than any other new apartment complex. The fact that they were built on a prairie pasture gives them absolutely no character whatsoever.

That all being said, they'd probably be pretty nice apartments if you have the money to afford them and don't mind the same ole same ole. Also it's important to note that are amongst many other apartments in the vicinity, so expect a variety of people.

Mandy
10-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Oh, also, what would traffic be like from there to Integris Southwest Medical Center, for example? Google Maps estimates 22 minutes driving time, but that depends on traffic! Thank you so much!

Mandy
10-22-2006, 04:37 PM
I looked into them a few years ago and turned them down for a number of reasons. First, being so close to the mall, the mall traffic would've annoyed the heck out of me. Second, I thought they were overpriced. There's nothing really special about them that makes them any differnet than any other new apartment complex. The fact that they were built on a prairie pasture gives them absolutely no character whatsoever.

That all being said, they'd probably be pretty nice apartments if you have the money to afford them and don't mind the same ole same ole. Also it's important to note that are amongst many other apartments in the vicinity, so expect a variety of people.

Thanks! May I ask which ones you chose instead? Or which ones you would consider better? I'm open, I've just seen some really scary ones online and when I saw these it was like :kicking: !

SOONER8693
10-22-2006, 04:39 PM
You could probably make it in 22 min. if you are going by helicopter or there is absolutely no traffic. On a normal traffic day, you got problems. Those apts. are on the far north side and Integris is south side.

yahoo12
10-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Edmond is probably the best suburb in the entire state. People like it there.