View Full Version : In this thread, we discuss beer

Patrick
12-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Do you drink beer? What are your favorite brands? Why do you drink? How often?

Midtowner
12-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Yes. Up until 2 days ago, it'd been a rare occurance. Can't say as I had but maybe one beer in November? After my first semester of law school was over, however, I now have a decent stock in the fridge!

My first purchase which I have yet to work through consisted of 12 Spaten Lager.

Jack
12-19-2005, 03:41 PM
I personally think beer is gross. Wine is as well. Give me a pina calada or something sweeter, and I'm game.

MadMonk
12-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Interesting you brought this up. I am just starting to get into beer appreciation and different kinds of beer (my wife calls it "weird beer"):D. I'm not too adventurous yet and have only tried a few "non-macro" brands. I usually have a beer or two on the weekend, and with the occasional party I'll drink a few more.

These are a few I like:
Negra Modelo (Mexican dark beer)
Sam Adams Black Lager (my first really dark beer - its very good, not too "hoppy".
Pete's Wicked Ale
Anchor Steam - a little hoppy, but still good
Shiner Bock
Warsteiner Premium Dunkel (a decent German beer)

Ones I didn't like:
Any India Pale Ale (Waaayy too hoppy for my palate)

If you haven't already, you might check out the Beer Advocate's web site. They have a lot of really good articles and I've learned a lot from them.
http://beeradvocate.com/

If you know of any good liquor stores that carry unusual/hard-to-find items, post it. There's a nice selection at NW Liquor on NW Expressway and Rockwell if you are in that area.

Keith
12-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Do you drink beer? What are your favorite brands? Why do you drink? How often?
Never did drink, and never will.:wink:

PUGalicious
12-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Never been a fan of beer. Now, cocktails are another story...

MadMonk
12-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Never did drink, and never will.:wink:
Thats too bad. You miss out on things if you never try it. :wink:

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
12-19-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm a Guinness guy myself, but I don't really drink very often at all (maybe 3 times a year)

Curt
12-20-2005, 08:59 PM
I like most beers to be honest, but I drink alot of Labatts. As far as moxed drinks goes it's Gin and Tonic and as far as whiskey goes it's Jack Daniels straight up, rum would be Captain Morgans spiced also straight up. I think I drink too much. I know I did last weekend when I was in town. But had a good time at Toby's bar.

Midtowner
12-20-2005, 09:23 PM
I've found that the majority of people that don't like beer have never given it much of a chance.

Budweiser < real beer;

Natural "Natty" Light < real beer;

Michelob < real beer;

Busch < real beer; and

Anything you can buy at the gas station < real beer.

If you are basing your hatred for beer based on these "beverages", then you clearly need help. Typically, the more heavily marketed the beer, the worse it is. Also, nearly every single beer out there has a completely different flavor (except for the stuff you buy in the gas station, hard to tell the difference).

Germans make the best dark beer (Guiness is only good for "black and tans"; for a wheat beer, try Boulevard Wheat (many like it with a squeaze of lemon); stay generally away from Mexican beer (it's okay); for a smooth and sweet beer, try an "amber" -- shiner blonde ain't bad.

If you don't like beer, or at least don't think you do, and are willing to give it a second chance, go to Bricktown and spend some of your hard earned money at Tapwerks. It will be an eye-opening experience!

Patrick
12-20-2005, 10:43 PM
I sorta agree with your statement. When I went to Germany a few years back, my dad gave me a sip of Beck Beer and it wasn't too bad.

Some people simply don't have a liking for the taste though, regardless of how much they drink.

MadMonk
12-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Its definitely an aquired taste; no doubt about it. Its a lot like wine appreciation. There's an amazing variety of beers available (though not all here in OK) as I'm just now discovering. I've got a good friend up in Wash St. who is an expert on the subject (and brews his own). Unfortunately, many of his suggestions for me aren't available locally and I don't believe that you can legally ship beer to OK (but I'm unsure of that).

Curt
12-21-2005, 11:48 AM
It is absolutely an aquired taste and some are more flavorfull than others. I think the worst beer I ever tried was actually an Ale, called Broken Putter Ale, nasty in my oppinion. We have a store near me that has hundreds of different beers from all over the world and I do like to try different beers now and then. I used to be a Michelob Light drinker 20 years ago, then I switched to Miller and then Miller Light, Now I usually either buy Labatts or Molson Golden. I like the Canadian beers. Actually Red Stripe is pretty good too, so is Tacate. I also found about any beer with a slice of lime makes it better, not just Corona. But no matter what, the best beer is always free beer :)

sweetdaisy
12-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Mmmmm...beer. I have developed a great appreciation for this fine classification of beverages, and have tried as many different types as possible. When I lived in Dallas several years ago, one of my favorite places to go was "The Flying Saucer", and they had a very nice selection of different types from different countries.

My first beer was Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat. Holy cow...that was some good stuff. Another former favorite was "Fat Tire". I'm also a fan of the Negro Modelo.

MadMonk
12-21-2005, 12:02 PM
My first beer was Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat.
I just passed that up on my last purchase. I'll have to pick it up and try it based on that glowing recommendation. :tiphat:

sweetdaisy
12-21-2005, 12:14 PM
I just passed that up on my last purchase. I'll have to pick it up and try it based on that glowing recommendation. :tiphat:

I haven't had it in a while, but I always loved it. One of the great things about it is its seasonality, so you aren't as likely to get old beer. (Some liquor stores seem to be really bad about that!) I hope you enjoy it!

Faith
12-21-2005, 12:28 PM
I have never been able to drink beer because it taste so bad to me. I use to drink about 3 to 4 times a year sweet mixed drinks that tasted more like candy than alcohol. I decided that there wasn't any point to drinking alcohol even on special occasions anymore. I use to drink when I went out just to help relax me so I could be more social in public and a few drinks always helped me to get the nerve to dance. I love dancing. But now I have decided that I should be able to have a good time without thinking I need a couple of drinks. I don't think I will ever drink again because I don't see the purpose of it and mainly because its not good for me due to health reasons as well.

Midtowner
12-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Mmmmm...beer. I have developed a great appreciation for this fine classification of beverages, and have tried as many different types as possible. When I lived in Dallas several years ago, one of my favorite places to go was "The Flying Saucer", and they had a very nice selection of different types from different countries.

My first beer was Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat. Holy cow...that was some good stuff. Another former favorite was "Fat Tire". I'm also a fan of the Negro Modelo.

Fat tire = great beer. Unfortunately, it's very rare (I think unavailable) in Oklahoma.

sweetdaisy
12-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Fat tire = great beer. Unfortunately, it's very rare (I think unavailable) in Oklahoma.

Yeah, I remember being able to buy it when I was in Michigan and Texas, but haven't been so lucky here. If I do find it, I'll let you know. :D

gonepostal
12-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Corona w/salt and lime mmm mmm good

Curt
12-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I remember being able to buy it when I was in Michigan and Texas, but haven't been so lucky here. If I do find it, I'll let you know. :D
I looked for Fat Tire beer the other night here and they told me they dont sell it east of Chicago. He said they may stretch it as far as Kalamazoo, here in Michigan. Where did you get it Daisy? near Ann Arbor?

sweetdaisy
12-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Hmmm...maybe I was visiting somewhere that had it. Bummer. I could swear I saw it in a grocery up there...oh well...

bandnerd
12-24-2005, 03:29 PM
I used to HATE beer...but thanks to a certain person in my life (you know who you are) I have come to appreciate good beer. Yes, I can be seen with my 89cent draughts at Hudson's with my friends...stupid Bud light...but I would much prefer a good German beer (had some while I was there last summer...my god, what a difference!) or a wheat beer. Bricktown Brewery makes an excellent wheat. I also enjoy the Boulevard, which I have found to be a very "girl friendly" beer and have convinced some of my non-beer drinking girlfriends to enjoy it.

I also enjoy a good cocktail, or sweet martini, or even a good glass of wine. I'm not *that* picky anymore, now that I have aquired the taste for alcohol ;) But like Midtowner, most of the people I know who complain about the taste of it haven't had anything really good!

escan
12-27-2005, 01:45 PM
I love Fat Tire...used to buy it in Portland, OR. Thought I might have seen it at Byron's on NW 23rd.

I also like Boulevard, Red Stripe, Modelo Especial and have discovered Kronenbourg 1776 from France (YUMM) and a Costa Rican beer called Pilsen.

bandnerd
12-27-2005, 03:19 PM
My fiance likes Fat Tire, we've gotten it a few times while visiting Texas. Something about a labeling issue keeps it from being distrubuted here, I think...don't quote me on that, though. I might not have been paying close enough attention heh.

Midtowner
12-27-2005, 04:12 PM
You never do :(

bandnerd
12-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Oh wah you big baby. Like you ever listen to me. ;)

MadMonk
12-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Well, I tried Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Boulevard Wheat this weekend.

The Sam Adams was very good and easy to quaff. Nice recommendation Daisy. However, for me the strong cherry flavor became old after a while. Its a good beer to have around for variety though. The smell is almost better than the taste. It smells a lot like a cherry pie out of the oven - almost edible :hungry:

The Boulevard was very good as well. Its a nice pale wheat ale that's easy to drink and has a very mild hop aftertaste. This cloudy beer is good! I think I'll pick up a six-er of Choc beer next weekend and give it a try. Anyone had that one? I think its brewed in Krebs, OK and it has a good reputation as a great beer, especially during the hot summers here.

Stinger
12-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Fat Tire is my favorite beer of all time. It's unavailable in Oklahoma and the best answer for it that I've gotten is they refuse to distribute it warm and you can't buy 6-pt cold in Oklahoma.

Shiner is my favorite beer you can buy around here, but if I don't get that it's usually a bud light or miller light.

flatang
12-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Is anyone familiar with Ballantine. This brewery closed it's doors around 1972 and was located in NJ at one time they were the 3rd largest in the country I believe durning the 1950's when they sponsored the NY Yankees etc. People familiar with this brew remember the 3 rings on the label. I had heard that when the brewery closed other breweries obtained the rights to brew their unique ale (Pabst, Stroh's, Falstaff, etc) but could not duplicate the original Ballantine Ale. The true collector of such items would be familiar with whats considered the"Holy Grail" of beers The "Mother of all mothers" The Ballantine "Burton" Ale a rare brew indeed. This beer was brewed only twice that I know of and then aged for years in oak barrels before being bottled and given away as gifts by the owners to their friends, employees, distributors, etc. Not ever sold to the public. They brewed a batch in 1934 and then bottled it some years later and again in 1946 I've had the pleasure of seeing a few bottles from this 1946 batch one bottle was bottled from the 46' brew in 1961 and another in 1964. Still palatable and actually good even after 50-60 years. I wonder if any brewery is still producing the Ballantine Ale?

sweetdaisy
12-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Well, I tried Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Boulevard Wheat this weekend.

The Sam Adams was very good and easy to quaff. Nice recommendation Daisy. However, for me the strong cherry flavor became old after a while. Its a good beer to have around for variety though. The smell is almost better than the taste. It smells a lot like a cherry pie out of the oven - almost edible :hungry:

The Boulevard was very good as well. Its a nice pale wheat ale that's easy to drink and has a very mild hop aftertaste. This cloudy beer is good! I think I'll pick up a six-er of Choc beer next weekend and give it a try. Anyone had that one? I think its brewed in Krebs, OK and it has a good reputation as a great beer, especially during the hot summers here.

OH! Sorry, MadMonk. I forgot that the cherry taste does get a bit old. It is a great beer for "beginners" and if you're only going to drink a couple or want something a bit different.

Thanks for the recommendation on Boulevard. I'm going to try that this weekend. I'll look forward to hearing about your Choc beer.

Mmmm...beer.

BTW, mariner, I remember where I saw Fat Tire in Michigan! It was at a grocery (can't remember the name) off US-23 and Plymouth-Ann Arbor Road (SW corner). It was a couple years ago, so no telling if they still carry it.

BDP
12-28-2005, 04:01 PM
I like ales mostly, when I drink beer, which is less and less.

Anchor Steam is my favorite.

Karried
12-28-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm feeling like a major beer wimp sitting here drinking my Miller Light! ha,ha... actually I like visiting Bricktown Brewery - I can't take a dark ale but I do enjoy a milder flavored ale. Cheers (Now if you want to talk about wine - Napa Valley anyone?)

Curt
12-28-2005, 07:42 PM
OH! Sorry, MadMonk. I forgot that the cherry taste does get a bit old. It is a great beer for "beginners" and if you're only going to drink a couple or want something a bit different.

Thanks for the recommendation on Boulevard. I'm going to try that this weekend. I'll look forward to hearing about your Choc beer.

Mmmm...beer.

BTW, mariner, I remember where I saw Fat Tire in Michigan! It was at a grocery (can't remember the name) off US-23 and Plymouth-Ann Arbor Road (SW corner). It was a couple years ago, so no telling if they still carry it.
Thanks Daisy, I go by that area when I head up north and in fact I will be going for New Years Eve up to Houghton Lake, so maybe I can stop and pick some up. By the way, do you ever miss Ann Arbor?

MadMonk
12-29-2005, 07:41 AM

Hey there's nothing to be sorry about. I like it and probably wouldn't have considered it without your input. BTW, my wife's not a big beer fan, but she really likes this one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/icon_cheers.gif

Curt
12-29-2005, 07:45 AM
I'm feeling like a major beer wimp sitting here drinking my Miller Light! ha,ha... actually I like visiting Bricktown Brewery - I can't take a dark ale but I do enjoy a milder flavored ale. Cheers (Now if you want to talk about wine - Napa Valley anyone?)
Hey there is nothing wrong with Miller Lite at all.

MadMonk
12-29-2005, 08:01 AM
Hey there is nothing wrong with Miller Lite at all.
Nope, not at all. My "regular" beer is just a Bud Light. Its cheap. :) Its just fun to try different styles of beer and learn about the different characteristics of each type of brew.

Karried, start up a wine appreciation thread. I have a few that I like and would welcome some suggestions from an expert. ;)

Curt
12-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Nope, not at all. My "regular" beer is just a Bud Light. Its cheap. :) Its just fun to try different styles of beer and learn about the different characteristics of each type of brew.

Karried, start up a wine appreciation thread. I have a few that I like and would welcome some suggestions from an expert. ;)
Hey Bud Light is also a good choice..drink lots of it. I got my start on Miller Lite 25 years ago. Heck I even buy Old Milwaukee sometimes for around the house. Tecate is another good choice. As far as wines go, I am no expert at all and could not tell you what wine goes with what food the best but I do like Pino Grigio.

flatang
12-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Can you tell a lot about a person from the type of beer they drink.
Beers currently in my fridge
ABITA CHRISTMAS ALE LA
ADAMS BROADSIDE ALE UK
ADAMS SSB SUFFOCK BITTER UK
AYINGER OCTOBERFEST GERMANY
BARBARY COAST ROCHESTER,NY
BAVIK BELGIUM
BEL HAVEN SCOTISH ALE SCOTLAND
BLUE MOON PUMPKIN ALE
BLUE RIDGE PORTER MD
BROOKLYN PILSNER NY
BROOKSHIER SPRINGS NY
BRUMMEN NETHERLANDS
BUZZARD BAY MA
CLIPPER CITY MD
COOPERS VINTAGE ALE AUSTRALIA
DUCK RABBIT MILK STOUT NC
EFE'S DARK TURKEY
EISENBAHN BRAZIL
EKU 28 GERMANY
EKU PILS GERMANY
GOLDEN PHEASANT SLOVAK REP
GUINNESS IRELAND
HARP LAGER IRELAND
HARPOON HIBERNIAN BOSTON
HIDDEN RIVER B&T MA
INDICA CA
JENLAIN FRANCE
KARLOVACKO CROATIA
KELPIE ALE UK
KINGS PEAK PORTER UT
KISZ BIER CZECH REP
KULMBACHER EISBOCH GERMANY
LION STOUT MI
MILLSTREAM OATMEAL STOUT IA
MOJO IPA CO
NEGRO MODELO MEXICO
NEWCASTLE BROWN ENGLAND
NUTFIELD STOUT NH
OPTIMATOR SPATEN GERMANY
OSCAR CHOCOLATE STOUT WI
PERONI ITALY
PYRAMID APRICOT
RAHR TX
RED NECKTAR ALE CA
SAMUEL SMITH WINTER ALE
SARANAC IPA UTICA,NY
SNAKE RIVER IPA
ST BRIDGETS PORTER CO
STRAUBS ST MARYS, PA
SUNSHINE WHEAT CO
TSING TAO CHINA
TUCHER GERMANY
XINGU BLACK BRAZIL
YOUNGS OATMEAL STOUT ENGLAND

Midtowner
12-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Flatang -- that's a big fridge you have there.

Unfortunately, as part of the master plan to counter the 'freshman 15' that I gained in my first year of law school, I think beer is probably verboten. Most unfortunate :(

sweetdaisy
12-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Ummm...flatang? Exactly how big is your fridge?

Karried
12-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Well, I can tell you where I'm going when I get thirsty! LOL, just teasing - but wow!

You have quite the collection -

Madmonk - I'm no expert on vino but I do know what I like (and do I really want to be known as the resident wino on the boards?) hhmm - okay, why not? I'll start a Wine thread...

:cheersmf:

Curt
12-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Flatang...do you by chance own a party store or something? either way you better have a party and invite us all over now.

flatang
12-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Im somewhat of a Connoisseur I guess and have always enjoyed trying different kinds. plus its handy for adding to my bottle collection.

After posting the list asking the question I thought yeah heres what someone would say is your an alcoholic (hahahah) Actually its the opposite thats why I have so many.

2 refrigerators by the way

Curt
12-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Im somewhat of a Connoisseur I guess and have always enjoyed trying different kinds. plus its handy for adding to my bottle collection.

After posting the list asking the question I thought yeah heres what someone would say is your an alcoholic (hahahah) Actually its the opposite thats why I have so many.

2 refrigerators by the way
Two of the Biggest Kenmore's I would imagine...LOL

sweetdaisy
12-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Glad to hear it's 2 refrigerators...I was wondering where you'd put milk & butter if all that beer was in just one fridge. :)

Curt
12-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Speaking of beer..I think I'll have one right now while I clean the basement.

MadMonk
12-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Flatang, whats your favorite? As a novice, I'm looking for suggestions. I only recognize a few of those you listed. Were you able to obtain those in OK?

Patrick
12-29-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm personally not a fan of beer, but to each his own. I have no problem with others drinking as long as they do so responsibly.

flatang
12-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Flatang, whats your favorite? As a novice, I'm looking for suggestions. I only recognize a few of those you listed. Were you able to obtain those in OK?

My grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses.
Drinks right out of the bottle.
--Henny Youngman

There are so many beers out there it's difficult to pick a favorite. "People who drink the same kind of beer because its their favorite haven't sampled enough and a person who hasn’t sampled enough isn't a beer drinker."

A few American beers that I prefer:
1) Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout from Otter Creek Brewing Vermont available October through April. Made with organic oats, barley and hops. This is a dark beer that produces a very creamy head. Made fresh no preservatives
2) A beer that’s probably the best for quenching your thirst (I prefer water) in my opinion is Straub's out of St Mary's PA an all grain beer has no salt, no sugar, no preservatives. Very crisp, very clean they have been around since 1872 The problem is you can only get it with in a certain radius of the brewery because it has no preservatives the self life is short I guess
3) Sunshine Wheat from the same people who make Fat Tire New Belgium Brewery another thirst quencher. Like Corona does with a lime the Sunshine Wheat is great with an orange wedge
4) If you like a little fruit with your beer Pete's Strawberry Blonde, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat or if you like heat with it spice things up with Ed' Original Chili Beer
Two of the best beers I ever had was a Christmas chocolate cream beer from Europe the company is no longer in business unfortunately and a Blueberry Cream Stout made by a member of a home brewer's club I belong to some years ago.

escan
01-03-2006, 01:58 PM
I like Boulevard too. My favorite local bar, the Cock o' the Walk serves it in big, big glasses!

I'd like a wine thread too. I really prefer wine, but nothing beats a cold beer on a hot day.

Midtowner
01-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Flatang --when you say a beer has "no suguar", how is that even possible? Having brewed beer myself, I'll let you in on a little secret... it's almost nothing BUT sugar.

In fact, with the beer I made, there was so much sugar that I had a very hard time getting it to all dissolve into the (I forget what you call it, but I think it's called the 'stock', but I may be thinking chicken)..

Jack
01-03-2006, 02:34 PM
How about the Red Dog everyone?

Midtowner
01-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Are you referring to the now non-existant beer, or that fine entertainment establishment at 10th and May?

escan
01-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I don't think it's located at 10th and May...isn't that the fairgrounds?

Oki_Man5
01-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Flatang --when you say a beer has "no suguar", how is that even possible? Having brewed beer myself, I'll let you in on a little secret... it's almost nothing BUT sugar.

In fact, with the beer I made, there was so much sugar that I had a very hard time getting it to all dissolve into the (I forget what you call it, but I think it's called the 'stock', but I may be thinking chicken)..

Is it called a "crock"?

flatang
01-03-2006, 09:49 PM

Midtowner good point, but we don't have to keep it a secret...... I believe the term "no sugar" is loosely used and refers in this instance to the addition of more sugars such as cane or corn sugar to the wort or at bottling. Sugar plays an important role in brewing and aids in the production of the alcohol. Instead of adding sugar to the brewing process the beer I mentioned extracts this complex ingredient naturally by mixing water with cornflakes and malted barley. This mixture is heated, producing a sweet golden syrup called wort. The wort is placed in a brewing kettle and Hops are then added, the mixture is heated, then cooled where at some point yeast will be added to start the fermenting process. The yeast will consume these fermenting sugars and somewhere durning this process you end up with beer.