View Full Version : BR Stats Affect "Home" Stats

Doug Loudenback
12-19-2005, 03:26 AM
According to ESPN's attendance stats, cited & shown below, games played in Baton Rogue, and presumably New Orleans if any spring BR games are played there, affect "home" attendance figures & rankings, as well as W/L stats.

I'm not sleeping well tonight ... still too excited about last night's game ... I caught the last half at BBW (at end of 1st half, I decided listening on the radio was just not good enough ... there crowd there at BWW was whooping it up, too!

Anyway, back to topic.

Here is the Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

I'm keeping stats in a spreadsheet for home games, among other things. Here's where we are after 10 or 11 "home" games, depending on how BRLA games are characterized (and the "LA" will include NOLA if any spring games are played there).

Here is my data compilation,

http://www.dougloudenback.com/hornets/HornetsHome2.gif

To finish the analyis, I went to ESPN's attendance page, here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance ... here is a cropped view ...

http://www.dougloudenback.com/hornets/espnattendance1.gif

The NO/Oklahoma City does not include stats for last night's game. By ESPN's reckoning, the last "home" game shown (#10) was the BR game. Then, I checked to see if the # of games shown for Utah, Golden State, New York and Cleveland was inclusive of any games played at home through Sunday night. All were.

So, the "Good" ... for only OKC games, the average is now 18,670 and we are 6-4 for such games, and, using only such games, we would remain at 7th, inching up against San Antonio's figure.

The "Bad" ... even if the BR is included, with a combined OKC/LA average of 17,636, we have actually crept up from 11th to 10th, edging out Utah, since the ESPN data, above, does not consider last night's 19,297 at the Ford Center. Still, droppng from 7th to 10th because of the BR game has to be called "Bad".

The "Ugly" ... according to the ESPN reckoning (and I don't know if that's considered NBA to be the correct manner of dealing with the LA games, but probably it is), in addition to the above, we are 6-5 at "home" instead of 6-4.

Additional note: 7th is probably the "highest" that we have the potential to achieve ... 6th, San Antonio, will probably continue to sell out all their home games ... that's 18,797. Even with the Ford Center finding a few unused "cracks" of space for last night's game which have heretofore been unavailable, that only made 134 chairs available, and that may not happen again or often, and, even if that happens, 134 seats will not likely be statistically significant in the end.

So, the odds of us being able to inch past San Antonio's average, while mathematically possible, are not good, even if only using OKC attendance to do the math.

John
12-19-2005, 10:55 AM
It's garbage that we have to have BR's attendance included with ours.

They're 'road' games for all intents and purposes.

Karried
12-19-2005, 11:01 AM
No kidding, they should definitely take into account all the reasons that attendance isn't normal in BR and not count it against us... who do we write?

BDP
12-19-2005, 11:07 AM
It sucks to have BR drag down the cumlative figures, but I am pretty sure the NBA knows OKC's attendance, net of BR, very well.

Midtowner
12-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Anyone who matters in making decisions should be intelligent enough to look at a spreadsheet.

If nothing else, the BR stats will work in our favor.

Other than that, no reason to get worked up over a stat that as has been adequately pointed out due to the inclusion of BR is meaningless.

Doing the math, sans-BR, we average about 18,670 per game. That would put us at #7 in the league. Pretty major difference. I trust that if I can do the math, the people who matter will also be able to do the math. They'll put the Hornets where they have the best potential to make big $.

Doug Loudenback
12-19-2005, 01:12 PM
YIKES! I was too dense to notice, until some significant time passed by until it dawned on me, as to the immediately preceding post, THAT IT IS , YOU, MIDTOWNER, MY HERO!!!

WELCOME BACK from an old geezer to a young geezer! :dizzy: :tweeted: :backtotop

Doug Loudenback
12-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Midtowner, I just tried to send you a PM ... your inbox needs cleaning!

Midtowner
12-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Doug, apparently, my inbox is clogged with some 160 emails.

One of these days, I will get around to the cleansing of the box. I'm not sure how soon that'll be.

Doug Loudenback
12-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Doug, apparently, my inbox is clogged with some 160 emails.

One of these days, I will get around to the cleansing of the box. I'm not sure how soon that'll be.

Not a problem ... I just wanted to give you a more personal welcome back.

windowphobe
12-19-2005, 05:35 PM
And after the 100.5 percent turnout for the Spurs game, the Bees are back in the top 10.

Not to worry, say I.