View Full Version : Hornets Beat Spurs!! 89-76

writerranger
12-18-2005, 07:42 PM
This will raise some eyebrows around the league!
WOW!

-

Doug Loudenback
12-18-2005, 08:00 PM
This will raise some eyebrows around the league!
WOW!

OHH YEAH!!! 89-76 ... attendance 19,297 (that's SRO ... capacity is 19,163!!!) HOOH-AHHH!!!

Intrepid
12-18-2005, 08:11 PM
It was a great game! I was very proud of how we played.

Patrick
12-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Hmmmm, that's a tad bit larger attendance than what was in Baton Rouge for the last game! You think we made a statement?

Patrick
12-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Hornets topple Spurs

By Jeff Latzke
AP Sports Writer

P.J. Brown, involved in an altercation earlier in the game, sparked the decisive run for the New Orleans Hornets in an 89-76 victory over the San Antonio Spurs on Sunday night.

Brown and the Hornets also held Tim Duncan to 11 points, matching his season low, before a Ford Center-record crowd of 19,267.

David West scored 19 points and Chris Paul finished one assist shy of his first career triple-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds for the Hornets, who returned to Oklahoma City after playing their first game of the season in Baton Rouge, La., on Friday.

Michael Finley and Tony Parker had 17 points apiece for the Spurs.

Brown broke a 69-all tie with a jumper from the right elbow with 8:12 left in the game and Speedy Claxton followed with a fast-break layup after Paul's steal. Claxton then grabbed a steal of his own and raced downcourt for a layup. He hit the ensuing free throw, and Paul followed with a three-point play of his own.

After converting his layup off an inbounds pass, Paul pumped his fist and slapped a high-five with teammates on the Hornets bench.

Robert Horry's 3-pointer from the right wing pulled the defending NBA champions within 79-74, but West responded with three straight jumpers to ice the game.

The crowd -- 104 more than the Ford Center's capacity -- stood and cheered as the final 30 seconds ran off the clock. The Hornets opened a special section of seats in an upper-deck press box for hockey games and set a new attendance record for any event at the Ford Center.

An early confrontation between Brown and Finley helped get the crowd fired up.

Apparently feeling he had been fouled by Duncan on a shot block under the basket, Brown stepped into Finley's path on his way back up the court and was called for a flagrant foul.

Finley stepped toward Brown and pushed the ball into Brown's chest as Horry approached. After the players were split up, Finley followed Brown as he backed toward midcourt and the two continued talking to each other.

Brown, Finley, Horry and Desmond Mason were all called for technical fouls, and Finley made both shots from the flagrant foul to pull San Antonio within 35-33. Parker tied the game at 37 with back-to-back baskets before halftime.

San Antonio made seven of its first eight shots to start the second half and took a 53-46 on Parker's jumper from the right side.

The Hornets responded by pushing the pace for a 9-1 spurt, with Mason getting a three-point play off a fast-break dunk and Paul adding a fast-break layup and two free throws to put New Orleans ahead 55-54. The Spurs scored seven straight points to go up 62-57 on Rasho Nesterovic's jumper, but had their lead trimmed to 62-60 at the end of the third quarter.

Patrick
12-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Anyone want to try posting tonight's attendance on HornetsReport? LOL!

Karried
12-19-2005, 06:48 AM
That is awesome!! I missed the game last night so I woke up to a very pleasant surprise - I wish that one had been televised!! That attendance in mind boggling!

GO HORNETS!!

Doug Loudenback
12-19-2005, 07:04 AM
That is awesome!! I missed the game last night so I woke up to a very pleasant surprise - I wish that one had been televised!! That attendance in mind boggling!

GO HORNETS!!

You WHAT? Haven't cha got a radio??? The game was over around 9 p.m.

Karrie, I'm starting to wonder about your enthusiasm ... :LolLolLol

vxt
12-19-2005, 08:26 AM
That was a great game for the hornets, however if manu was playing I don't think the spur would of lost by 13 pts. Nevertheless, a great win and I can't wait till the 28th when my two favorite teams play: the hornets vs the rockets.

Karried
12-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Doug, I get confused when I listen to the radio! I'm a visual learner ha,ha...

I need tickets!!!

I'm going to the Mavs, I don't care what it costs - I'm tired of missing the games! I am enthusiastic but it is hard to get tickets to sold out games.. boo,hoo I wish I had gotten season tickets!

scotplum
12-19-2005, 02:33 PM
That was a great game for the hornets, however if manu was playing I don't think the spur would of lost by 13 pts. Nevertheless, a great win and I can't wait till the 28th when my two favorite teams play: the hornets vs the rockets.

Having Ginobili wouldn't have hurt however, having an All-Star such as Michael Finley to fill in for him really doesn't lose much for the Spurs.

windowphobe
12-19-2005, 05:40 PM
The absence of Manu merely points out the need for a solid bench behind one's starting five. And one could argue that the Hornets, too, were missing a starter or two: Nachbar's been out for weeks, and the Birdman got only limited playing time.

workman45
12-20-2005, 10:44 AM
The Birdman wasn't on court much, but made a solid impact when he was, and PJ more than earned his MVP for the game. Had an excelent time and know I'm going to have to do it again. Just too cool.