View Full Version : An email from Randy Hogan- an answer to our questions

Patrick
09-23-2004, 11:31 PM
I emailed Randy Hogan and asked him about all of the surface parking on the canal. Unfortunately, the response I got wasn't pleasing. You know, I still don't like the way Moshe Tal went at things, but I think he was partially right. Seems like Hogan is just scrambling and throwing things together.....he's just putting it together as new proposals hit his table. Whatever he sees out there, and whoever comes to him with an idea, he just goes with it. Who cares whether it will fit in or not. He could really care less about creating an urban atmosphere in Lower Bricktown. As someone else said (I believe it was BG), all he cares about is the grand American dollar. If it's a solid proposal, go with it.....it's an automatic cash flow. He is right....structured parking is expensive.....but it seems like the theater should realize they're in the middle of a downtown area, and they need to build their own parking garage. You know, John Q. Hammons must actually have a brain in his head. He understands the concept. That's why with all of the hotels he is developing, if there isn't a parking garage nearby, he's building one. And for his hotel patrons, parking is included in the price. Why can't Harkin's do the same? I think I'll email him and ask. Randy thinks the way the rest of our city thinks.....he just doesn't put a lot of planning into any of this.

You know, he always ends his emails the way he ends this one...."I'm busy, have to run." What in the world is this guy busy doing??? He sure doesn't have a lot of development to vouch for how busy he says he is.

Anyways, here's his email:

"Dear Mr. Horn, We are reserving the west end for the possibility of structured parking …but please note we are committed to free parking for visitors to Lower Bricktown specifically for the theatre therefore structured parking[ at $10,000 per space +/- ] is a little bit of a challenge. For example 500 spaces will cost $5,000,000 which requires either TIF financing or people paying lots of money to park. We are for added density when possible but can’t get into a parking problem which in turn damages our tenants. Retail will hopefully follow the success of the next waive of development which is typically the last piece to fall into place and must be earned by the success of Lower Bricktown and the balance of Bricktown as a whole. We are scrambling to get permits and improvements in place by mid next week therefore must run. Jim Couch asked that I forward to you this update."

Sincerely, Randy "

Patrick
09-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Here's the email I sent Randy in reply to the email he sent me. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

"Mr. Hogan,

I just thought I'd add.....I realize that structured parking is expensive. One thing to consider though would be to have Mr. Harkin's pay for structured parking.
John Q. Hammons seems to be able to build structured parking with all of his hotel developments.........he built a garage with his new Marriot Courtyard, and is planning on doing the same with his Embasy Suites. The reason? Mr. Hammons understands that this is a downtown area and thus understands the need for density, to maintain that urban image downtown.
If Mr. Harkins doesn't want his business damaged in Bricktown, then he needs to fork over the money to build a garage like Mr. Hammons has. Your tenants can participate by validating parking permits, thus helping pay for the garage. In regards to Sonic....well, they didn't have surface parking before at their old facility.
The best solution would've been to build a parking structure under the theater at canal level, with retail and cafe spots on the canal level side of the structure. That obviously would've cost more, but it would've made Bricktown a true destination, instead of just another strip development. Obviously that's something they'd do in a development on the east or west coast.

Eventually Lower Bricktown needs to take on an urban image, similar to that seen on the north canal. Otherwise, it will just be a unique version of Ed Noble Parkway in Norman.....just another strip mall with a theater.

By the way, I know it may sound like I'm complaining a lot, but I do commend you for the work you've already done. I know a lot more goes on behind the scenes than what I'm giving you credit for. Thanks for bringing us this far, and I'm confident that as time goes by and interest in Bricktown continues to grow, your development will continue to improve.

- Patrick Horn, Citizen Ward 2, OKC; Moderator of OKC Talk"