View Full Version : Not all was lost with Fleming's departure

Patrick
12-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Associated has taken over where Fleming left off. I only wish they'd bring Homeland up to the level of Albertsons. Seems like with the prices they charge, they could accomplish that.

Grocery wholesaler to build OKC facility

Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Associated Wholesale Grocers broke ground on a new distribution center at 5500 S. Council in Oklahoma City Dec. 13.

AWG has been serving retailers in Oklahoma and the surrounding states from its current location at N.W. 36th Street and Lincoln Blvd. for more than 10 years. The Oklahoma City division has experienced significant growth over the past few years.

“We are very excited about breaking ground on this new warehouse,” said Steve Arnold, Senior Vice President and Division Manager. “We already have a great team in place to serve our member retailers and we’re looking forward to increasing our customer base and improving our quality of delivery.”

The new 800,000 square foot warehouse is expected to employ more than 500 people when it is completed in 2007.

More than 200 independent retailers across a four-state area are currently supplied by AWG here in Oklahoma City. The company supplies a wide range of products including standard and specialty grocery items, health and beauty care, fresh produce, meat, bakery and deli items. Founded in 1924 and incorporated in 1926, Associated Wholesale Grocers is second largest retailer-owned grocery wholesaler in the United States and the nation’s oldest grocery cooperative. AWG currently serves over 1500 stores across a 21-state area.

Midtowner
12-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Trading a corporate HQ for a warehouse is not a very good deal.

Patrick
12-19-2005, 02:53 PM
I agree, but Associated still has a pretty large presence here. And with Fleming falling anyways, it was probably a good deal they left before they fell.

rxis
01-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Vista has also opened up shop in Oklahoma. I think there is another distribution facility that opened up but I forget.