View Full Version : Chuck Long leaving OU

Patrick
12-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Personally, I wouldn't be too sad over this. His offenses have been pretty predictable over his years as offensive coordinator. I'd rather see someone else in there.

--------------

OU's Long reportedly offered San Diego job

By George Schroeder
The Oklahoman

NORMAN -- Chuck Long will be doing more than visiting San Diego for the Holiday Bowl.

Sources said Friday morning the Oklahoma offensive coordinator has been offered and could be named San Diego State’s head coach as early as Saturday.

Long did not return phone calls Thursday and Friday. Neither did San Diego State athletic director Jeff Schemmel. But two sources told The Oklahoman Long was offered the job Thursday and had accepted.

San Diego State media relations director Mike May said Friday morning no news conference had been scheduled. But an announcement is expected to come today.

Last week, Long denied he had been in contact with San Diego State officials or had conversations about the vacancy. But this week, an agent with knowledge of the situation said Long had been interviewed. And a separate source also said Long had been in conversation with San Diego State about the job.

A source said much of the contact between Long and San Diego State was handled by Chuck Neinas, the Boulder, Colo.-based consultant who is well known for brokering deals between schools and coaches.

It wasn’t clear whether Long would continue coaching though the Holiday Bowl.

Long would be the fourth OU assistant under Stoops to move on to a head-coaching position. Mike Leach (1999, Texas Tech), Mark Mangino (2001, Kansas) and Mike Stoops (2003, Arizona) preceded him in making the move up.

The other three departed for their new jobs before the bowl game.

But this might be a unique situation.

Because of location, Long could conceivably split duties as OU’s offensive coordinator through the Holiday Bowl, even while transitioning to the new job.

OU is scheduled to practice at San Diego State while at the Holiday Bowl, an arrangement that presumably would be convenient to Long’s adjustment.

Long, 42, is in his sixth season as an OU assistant, his fifth as the Sooners’ offensive coordinator. In 2004, he was a finalist for the Frank Broyles Award, given to the nation’s best college assistant coach. He is in his 11th season as a college assistant after spending eight seasons in the NFL.

Long was criticized earlier this season when OU’s offense sputtered, although the struggles were partly because of injuries and youth. Stoops adamantly supported his offensive coordinator then, recounting the Sooners’ offensive success during Long’s tenure in several different offensive styles.

Speculation had Long as a candidate for an opening at Illinois last season.

And he was listed among candidates to replace Bill Snyder at Kansas State; the job was eventually filled by Ron Prince. But he said he was not contacted about the opening. “I would look at anything that came along, but at the same time I’m very happy here,” Long said last month, shortly after Snyder announced his retirement. “I’m excited about our program, where it is, what we’ve done so far this year and where it could go in the future. ... I do aspire to be a head coach, but it has to be the right situation for me and my family.”