View Full Version : "Christ"mas School Programs

Faith
12-15-2005, 03:19 PM
I just wanted to say that I was proud today to watch my kindergartener's school program. The entire program was based upon the birth of Jesus Christ. It makes the tuition for the Christian school definitely worth it. Whether or not it is offending to others wasn't an issue since it is a christian school.

Jack
12-16-2005, 02:04 PM
True, private schools receive no government funding, so they can promote Christ if they want.

I see no problem with public schools celebrating Christmas, but at the same time, since they are being funded with public monies, they shouldn't endorse one religion over another.

Midtowner
12-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Jack -- the public money is the reason.

Frankly, doesn't it matter more what the children get to practice at home? Why do we see the necessity to draw battle lines at our public schools where kids should be learning the 3 R's, not about the 4th R (religion) -- save it for Sunday school.

Randy
12-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Jack -- the public money is the reason.

Frankly, doesn't it matter more what the children get to practice at home? Why do we see the necessity to draw battle lines at our public schools where kids should be learning the 3 R's, not about the 4th R (religion) -- save it for Sunday school.
Unfortunately, some parents aren't respectful enough to allow their children to go to Sunday School. So, if they can't learn it from church, then they need to learn it from their school. OKCgoddess, I think it is great that the Christian school your child attends, has a CHRISTmas program and are allowed to proclaim the real meaning of Christmas.

PUGalicious
12-16-2005, 06:33 PM
It's not the responsibility or function of the public school system to evangelize.

fromdust
12-16-2005, 10:25 PM
no the public school shouldnt evangelize, you are right. but i do want to share this with everyone. i dont know if people agree or not about schools having relegious songs in their " winter program". belive what you want. but here is the truth. you can sing these types of songs in public schools.
you should be aware that no court has ever banned the singing of relegious christmas carols by public school choirs. a case that addressed this specific issue upheld this. in florey v. siox falls school dist. ( 1980) the us court of appeals for the eighth circuit held that the study and performance of religious songs, including christmas songs, are constitutional if their purpose is " the advancement of the students' knowledge of scociety's cultural and relegious heritage as well as the provision of an opportunity for students to preform a full range of music, poetry and drama that is likley to be of interest to the students and their audiance."
the federal appeals court in this case found that relegios songs and symbols can be used in public schools if they are presented in a " prudent and objective manner and only as part of the cultural and relegious heritage of the holiday. it is also important to note that the decision in florey was based on 2 us supreme court cases that allow the study of the bible in public schools. in school district of abington township v. schempp (1963) the supreme court stated " it certainly may be said that the bible is worthy for its literary and historic qualities. nothing we have said here indicates that such study of the bible or relegion, when presented objectivley as part of a secular program of education, may not be effected consistentlywith the first amendment."

so if anyones school wont sing christmas songs, show them this. or get a lawyer. singing christmas songs and having relegious symbols in a public school are protected

Randy
12-17-2005, 07:02 AM
no the public school shouldnt evangelize, you are right. but i do want to share this with everyone. i dont know if people agree or not about schools having relegious songs in their " winter program". belive what you want. but here is the truth. you can sing these types of songs in public schools.
you should be aware that no court has ever banned the singing of relegious christmas carols by public school choirs. a case that addressed this specific issue upheld this. in florey v. siox falls school dist. ( 1980) the us court of appeals for the eighth circuit held that the study and performance of religious songs, including christmas songs, are constitutional if their purpose is " the advancement of the students' knowledge of scociety's cultural and relegious heritage as well as the provision of an opportunity for students to preform a full range of music, poetry and drama that is likley to be of interest to the students and their audiance."
the federal appeals court in this case found that relegios songs and symbols can be used in public schools if they are presented in a " prudent and objective manner and only as part of the cultural and relegious heritage of the holiday. it is also important to note that the decision in florey was based on 2 us supreme court cases that allow the study of the bible in public schools. in school district of abington township v. schempp (1963) the supreme court stated " it certainly may be said that the bible is worthy for its literary and historic qualities. nothing we have said here indicates that such study of the bible or relegion, when presented objectivley as part of a secular program of education, may not be effected consistentlywith the first amendment."

so if anyones school wont sing christmas songs, show them this. or get a lawyer. singing christmas songs and having relegious symbols in a public school are protected
I sure didn't know this. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Jack
12-19-2005, 12:12 AM
IMHO, having a "Christ"mas program isn't evangelizing. It's celebrating a holiday, which is celebrated by people of all faiths. Yup, the materialists come out of the closet on Christmas Day! How bout we just call it Materialmas. :)

rxis
01-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Your Christmas is not the same as my Christmas. I celebrate my own holidays throughout the year. I call it a vacation. Tomorrow may be another holiday because I'm so tired yet im on this forum.