View Full Version : A Must Read Article by Asst. Coach Jim Cleamons

Doug Loudenback
12-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks to Ron Hitley of http://www.hornets247.com/ for picking up this great article at the Salt Lake City Tribune, http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_3299444 by Jim Cleamons, Assistant Coach of the Hornets (college: Ohio State):
http://www.dougloudenback.com/hornets/HornetsCoach.JimCleamons.jpg

Cleamons: Fans make difference for struggling teams
By Jim Cleamons

This season, my team, the New Orleans Hornets, is playing its home games in Oklahoma City and, frankly, we're not the greatest team in the NBA. Yet the smallest home crowd we have played before thus far is 17,500 people.

From the perspective of a professional coach, that's a heck of a statement.

It takes a lot of energy to support a team that is struggling, like mine. Fans who stick with their teams during lean years should be commended for their faithfulness.

You can't overestimate what it means to the team.

My team, one of the league's worst last season, has been hovering around .500, and I think that's at least partially due to the support we have received from the fans.

Fans should know that players and coaches don't take them for granted, that they want and know they need their support to succeed.

There are a number of teams in the league in the same boat as mine, striving to successfully compete. Unfortunately, a lot of fans think their team is better than it really is, especially if it's getting beaten up night in and night out, and have unrealistic expectations. A lot of fans just don't really understand and appreciate what it takes to build a consistent winner in this league, and what a team has to endure in order to become competitive again.

One thing that's very important for fans to understand is that there's nobody out on the court trying to lose games. The players, the coaches, the organization itself, they all do truly feel the fans' pain from losing.

In fact, we feel it more profoundly than anyone.

The problem for many franchises is that they've drafted young players who are not yet ready to assume the type of responsibility it takes to win. When you have a young team, it's simply going to take time for it to mature. You have to look beyond tomorrow.

If I were to attend a game as a fan, I would not boo my struggling team. What I would insist on knowing, first off, is the big picture for my team. What's the owner's vision? Has he hired the right basketball people? What's the coach's philosophy? Have the players bought into it?

If so, then I see my job as being supportive of my team. I wouldn't get on the officials or the players. I'd support my guys, because this is the time they need it most.

Remember, when you have a bad day at the office, you suffer through it on your own. When ballplayers have a bad day, as they will as they are only human, then it's on display for the entire world. A fan's job, I believe, is to have empathy for his team and players on those days. Some nights they're just going to stink it up. That's when I'd be the biggest cheerleader that team has. Maybe two days from now, that team will find a way to get through a bad night, to win anyway, to mature.

There's an old saying in my profession: When things are going well, you're not as good as you think; when you're down, you're not as bad as you think.

Jim Cleamons, an assistant coach for the New Orleans Hornets, writes a weekly column for The Tribune. He has won eight NBA championships as a player and coach.

Wow! What a powerful article by Coach Cleamons! Do his thougtful remarks tell us (a) we're doing pretty darn good in Oklahoma City so far, and (b) that we need to keep on keepin' on?

To my brothers and sisters in Oklahoma City, you know that he speaks the truth, and, you know that we get what Coach Cleamons said. The team needs our crazy support, in good times and bad. And, we know that we will give that needed support. We Okies get it, and we'll be there!

The silly balloons passed out to fans behind the goals to make opponents miss their free throws don't seem to matter very much ... just fluff ... or have I miscompared the "yeas" with the "groans" when free throws by opponents are tossed? I mean, HOW MANY fans can squeeze their bodies into that narrow zone behind the basket?

BUT, the near or completely sold-out houses with screaming crazy fans, game in and game out, ranking us 7th in NBA attendance ... I think that's what he's talkin' about ... and we're doin' it ... and doesn't that make you PROUD?

I just love this town ... and I'm so proud, too, that THIS TOWN just fking loves the Hornets!

Karried
12-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah! Can't wait for the home games so we can 'will' a win for the Hornets! (Or at least drown out the plays of the other team ha,ha!).

I think they love playing here - they know we love them!

Go Hornets!!!!

ps - Anyone have spare tickets for Wednesday?