View Full Version : An OKC Test This Wednesday

Doug Loudenback
12-10-2005, 08:24 PM
You may be aware of the excellent (and long-standing since during the Charlotte Hornets days) blog at http://www.hornets247.com/ . If you aren't aware, you should be since that website is "gender" neutral as to Charlotte / New Orleans / Oklahoma City. It only focuses on the Hornets, where ever they may be located.

Given the current Hornets 4 game losing streak, here's a copy of a post I just made there.

Certainly, I agree with the main post ... the Hornets were cold and not on track in the game v. Boston.

Beyond that, even after yesterday evening's OT loss to Portland, before a paltry crowd of 12,305 in Portland (who should be sorely embarassed at their lack of fan support), and even though the Hornets record at may well get worse before the Hornets return to OKC midweek (Wednesday) against the Clippers, it remains true that this year is something akin to a "tale of 2 cities", and I don't mean NOLA being one of them.

What I mean is this: (a) the Hornets record (b) juxtaposed to local fan support, whether the team itself wins or loses. Those are the "2 cities" that I mean.

So far so good for the "fan support" in OKC. The Boston game followed a 2 game loss run. Even though weather conditions were horrible in OKC (about 10 degrees, light snow, at a Wednesday game), the game was a near sellout at 18,753.

The Boston loss made it 3 losses in a row, and Portand's game last night made it 4 losses in a row. Not a good "streak".

Tomorrow, the Hornets play at Sacramento, and then at Phoenix, before they return to OKC to play the Clippers on Wednesday next.

It is easily forseeable that, when the Hornets return to OKC on that Wednesday, that they will be 8-13.

That's the tale of "one city", the Hornets W/L success. The tale of the other ... fan support in OKC ... may well be indicated this coming Wednesday if the Hornets lose all of their 3-game road trip.

And, so, as to the latter "city", this upcoming Wednesday, 12/14, may give a clue as to whether the "2nd city" has the mettle to weather the "1st city's" non-thrilling performance of late.

As an Okie, I'm hoping that the "2nd city" is up to the challenge, regardless of what the Hornet's record is when it returns to OKC. But, as a realist, we shall see what we shall see.

I'll be there.

If the Clippers game this coming Wednesday (12/14) is a sellout or very nearly that and regardless of the weather, well, then, I guess that OKC will have passed its first real test, juxtaposed to the New Orleans fan support when the Hornets as a team were not doing so well.

We shall see what we shall see. If OKC delivers its fan support this coming Wednesday, or not, and either way, that will give some new data. NOLA HR.Report posters may wind up gloating, or, on the other hand, we in OKC may be in that position.

Wednesday v. The Clippers will give a clue as to how deeply even though so very quickly rooted our OKC support for the Hornets is, or is not.

Keith
12-10-2005, 08:30 PM
You may be aware of the excellent (and long-standing since during the Charlotte Hornets days) blog at http://www.hornets247.com/ . If you aren't aware, you should be since that website is "gender" neutral as to Charlotte / New Orleans / Oklahoma City. It only focuses on the Hornets, where ever they may be located.

Given the current Hornets 4 game losing streak, here's a copy of a post I just made there.

If the Clippers game this coming Wednesday (12/14) is a sellout or very nearly that and regardless of the weather, well, then, I guess that OKC will have passed its first real test, juxtaposed to the New Orleans fan support when the Hornets as a team were not doing so well.

We shall see what we shall see. If OKC delivers its fan support this coming Wednesday, or not, and either way, that will give some new data. NOLA HR.Report posters may wind up gloating, or, on the other hand, we in OKC may be in that position.

Wednesday v. The Clippers will give a clue as to how deeply even though so very quickly rooted our OKC support for the Hornets is, or is not.
Good point, Doug. As a matter of fact, we have about 85-90 men and boys from our church that will be attending the Wednesday night game....and they are excited.

Doug Loudenback
12-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Keith,

I hate to be so overly enthusiastic so as to build falsle expectations ... but ...

My wife eventually joined me (after weeks of me raving about how great it was) to a Hornets game (actually, now 2, since she's starting to get hooked at least a little, even if not as much as me) and an out-of-town friend (Enid) who I took to the Boston game did, also. Both, I'd like to think, were mesmerised.

Your Church's men/boys are going to have one exceptional time of their lives! At least, I hope that's so.

Please, do give a follow-up report after the Wednesday game ... it would be a good "reality check" to see if I'm "on" or really way "off of" the mark! :LolLolLol

And, by the way, Merry Christmas to you, too!

Keith
12-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Keith,

I hate to be so overly enthusiastic so as to build falsle expectations ... but ...

My wife eventually joined me (after weeks of me raving about how great it was) to a Hornets game (actually, now 2, since she's starting to get hooked at least a little, even if not as much as me) and an out-of-town friend (Enid) who I took to the Boston game did, also. Both, I'd like to think, were mesmerised.

Your Church's men/boys are going to have one exceptional time of their lives! At least, I hope that's so.

Please, do give a follow-up report after the Wednesday game ... it would be a good "reality check" to see if I'm "on" or really way "off of" the mark! :LolLolLol

And, by the way, Merry Christmas to you, too!
Hey Doug, we had over 90 men and boys that went to that game and they had a huge blast. This was the first real basketball game that many of these boys had ever been to, and they were mesmorized, from what I understood. They were still talking about it yesterday at church.

Doug Loudenback
12-20-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks, Keith ... sounds like your LARGE church group had a great time ... but your message sounds like you weren't able to go. If so, bummer. You need to get hooked, too, don't you know?

Merry Christmas!