View Full Version : Woman attacked at Edmond Wal-Mart

Patrick
09-23-2004, 12:50 PM
I hate to see this happen, but in a way, I hope it finally shuts up some of those snobby Edmond people. My fiancee's sister refuses to go to Bricktown, Tinsletown, etc. because she says the area is bad and she fear getting attacked at night. I always like to go to Tinsletown (because they're a lot cheaper) and she refuses to go because of the area. Heck, I don't think anyone has ever been attacked in the Tinsletown Parking lot. And now someone is attacked in the Wal-Mart parking lot at Danforth and Santa Fe. My fiancee complained the other day because she had to go to Shepherd Mall early in the morning. But yet she wouldn't mind going to Quail Springs early in the morning. Heck, there's more that goes on in the Quail Springs Parking lot. Since Shepherd Mall has become an office park, I haven't heard of one incident occurring there.

-----
"A woman was confronted during an overnight shopping trip by a man who'd been staking out the parking lot looking for a victim.

The victim in this case fought back. She said she works hard for her money and wasn't about to let it go without a struggle. Police say her actions were certainly brave, but not wise, considering the suspect claimed to have a gun.

For some busy moms, it's a necessity. Late night shopping to avoid those long lines at the check stand.

"Sometimes between 10 and 12 is the time I get things done," said Stephanie McKinney. "House work-wise and shopping-wise, it's a time saver. You don't have to cut into work or school."

But it can also be dangerous for an unsuspecting shopper.

A Wal-Mart surveillance video captured the scene as a female customer leaves the store at Danforth and Santa Fe. It's about 3 a.m. Another driver pulls in behind her car. The suspect confronts the woman, threatening to shoot her if she doesn't hand over her cash.

"I will definitely re-think coming back in the middle of the night," she said.

Witnesses said the suspect, 24-year old Joshua Moore, tugged at the wad of money McKinney was carrying, but was eventually scared off by other Wal-Mart customers.

Authorities spotted his car about an hour later, and a lengthy pursuit was on.

Edmond police chased him all the way to Logan County, where the driver finally lost control on a gravel road. The suspect bailed out, but was caught a short time later with a torn piece of money still in his pocket.

In this case, the woman was not injured and the suspect was arrested. But detectives say it's never a good idea to gamble with anyone claiming to have a gun!

"I wouldn't advise to try and confront someone," said Glynda Chu, spokeswoman for the Edmond police department. "If you're in a situation like that, I would go ahead and give them what they want. She said she didn't see any weapons, however, she was in danger. But this time it worked out fine. It worked out great."

If you have to shop late at night, police say it's a good idea to park as close to the store as possible, under a light, and with a shopping companion. Obviously, carrying a large stack of cash is not a good idea.

Moore faces multiple charges, including strong armed robbery and attempting to elude police; all for less than a hundred bucks in cash."

suzi
09-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Okay, I just HAVE to comment on this. Why would any woman be out at 3 a.m. shopping? I don't care what her schedule is, that's just plain STUPID. Also, why was she carrying her money in her hand? The article says he tugged at the wad of money she was carrying, now how smart was that? I'm not saying she asked for it but geez, if you're going to be out shopping at that time use a little COMMON SENSE. Look at your surroundings, if someone is just sitting in their car watching you, go back inside or better yet, have someone in the store watch you until you get in your car. You can do that even if you don't see someone in the lot just sitting in their car.

I am single and am always very aware of what is going on around me when I'm out shopping, even in the day time. I have a large gate at my house that I have to get out and open and I always make sure there is no one following me down my road when I get out and if there is another car, I wait until they pass before I get out of my vehicle. What is it with women these days? Don't they know better? Even when I was in high school (MANY years ago) I was taught to be aware of my surroundings, is this something that is not addressed any more or were my parents just smarter than some?

Midtowner
09-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Patrick, get the lady to enroll in some self defense classes.

Also, if she has to be at dangerous places at bad times, she should also investigate a conceal & carry permit.

Keith
09-27-2004, 06:39 AM
I'd have to agree with suzi. Why would any lady be out at 3 am shopping? I realize that there are many people that have verybusy schedules, but I would rearrange my schedule before I would go to a store at 3 in the morning.

Even being a man, no matter where I go, whether day or night, I am always aware of my surroundings. If I see anything that's the least bit suspicious when I enter a parking lot, then I will not stop, I will keep on going.

This brings up another point. With so many people having cell phones today, you would think that they would be able to finish any conversation they are having before getting out of their vehicles at a shopping center, mall, etc....When someone is on their cell phone, either going into a store or coming out of the store, they haven't the foggiest idea what is going on around them. They walk behind vehicles that are backing out, and they walk right in front of cars as they are crossing the parking lot. Come on, people, there is no reason to have to talk to someone on the phone while walking to and from your car at a store.

Criminals actually watch people that are on their cell phones because they know that person's guard is down.