View Full Version : Computer won't boot

amethystgirl
12-09-2005, 09:07 AM
I have a EMachine T1742 with 1.70 GHz cpu. I leave my computer on 24/7. I awoke yesterday morning when I heard a popping noise and noticed my computer would not respond to moving the mouse. The hd light, cdrom light and keyboard lights were just blinking off and on. The computer would not turn off by pressing the button. I turned off the power strip. Today, I turn it on and it doesn't even try to boot up, just the same lights blinking.
Any suggestions?

okcpulse
12-09-2005, 12:16 PM
okay amythestgirl, I have several questions for you.

First, what does your screen say when you turn on your computer? And, what operating system are you running (Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP?) When was the last time you had your PC turned off? And, what kind of internet connection do you have (DSL, dial-up, cable?)

Your popping noise may have come from your hard drive failing. In some cases, leaving your PC 24/7 can cause wear and tear to hardware, including your hard drive, mostly from excessive heat build-up. If you leave books, clothes or papers stacked up around your tower, or your tower is stored in very tight quarters where there isn't much airflow, you will have excessive heat buildup. Dust build-up can also lead to airflow problems.

If your screen is either blank, or giving the following message...

OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND

Then your hard drive had failed and/or is unable to boot. If your have the Windows XP installation disk, try inserting the disk and running the repair console, or do a clean installation. For Windows 98 or ME, try boot floppies if you have them. If this does not work, and since you heard a popping noise, the problem may be mechanical, and your hard drive will need to be replaced.

If you have high-speed internet, leaving your PC on constantly will leave it vulnerable to attcks unless you hvae been good about securing your PC. Often times, boot sector viruses will cause your computer to not boot.

Again, though, because of the noise, a frozen screen and a locked system, all are tell-tale signs of a burned-out hard drive.

amethystgirl
12-09-2005, 01:31 PM
OKCPULSE,
Thanks for responding.

First, what does your screen say when you turn on your computer? The screen is blank and it doesn't sound like the computer is trying to boot at all.

And, what operating system are you running Windows XP Pro

When was the last time you had your PC turned off? About 1 week ago.

And, what kind of internet connection do you have I have dial-up, but my phone line was not plugged into the computer at that time.

Your popping noise may have come from your hard drive failing. I was half asleep when I heard the noise.

Dust build-up can also lead to airflow problems. That is possible, but nothing is stacked around the tower. It is sitting on top of the desk...lol

If your screen is either blank, or giving the following message...
OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND No, there is nothing on the screen. It doesn't seem to be processing anything. I am not even sure if the fan on the power supply was turning.

Thanks.

MadMonk
12-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Sounds like either the power supply or motherboard have gone out.

okcpulse
12-10-2005, 11:01 AM
I concur with madmonk.

ibda12u
12-12-2005, 08:12 AM
When I worked at Bestbuy we used to have an issue with some e-machines getting a bit too hot, and capaciters on the Motherboard bursting. The popping sound you heard, sound a bit like that. Especially if you're pc isn't even trying to power up. Is it under warranty still?

amethystgirl
12-13-2005, 08:29 AM
I bought a 250 watt power supply from CompUSA and it did not fix the problem. So, I guess it is the motherboard. :(
No, it is not under warranty and I didn't buy the service agreement.

ibda12u
12-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Well I'd reccommend either salvaging your existing good parts (cd drives, hard drive, memory?) and then purchase a new case, motherboard and cpu (maybe memory, to be safe). Then build it up, and you're good to go. You'd only need to do a repair on windows, and re-install a few apps, and you'd be good to go.

You can get a Barebones PC (Case motherboard,cpu) from PcClub for around $190.00 that's probably about the price you can find them at compusa. you can return your power supply and get a credit if you wanted to go that option.

The other option is getting a new pc.

MadMonk
12-13-2005, 09:17 AM
You can get a Barebones PC (Case motherboard,cpu) from PcClub for around $190.00 that's probably about the price you can find them at compusa. you can return your power supply and get a credit if you wanted to go that option.
Yep, and you'll be getting better equipment than what you have in an e-machine too.

Yodachaos
01-02-2006, 12:33 AM
i would go to PC Club. for the most part better prices than compusa. better return policy as well. thats where i go if i buy from town and also where some friends go to.

Midtowner
01-02-2006, 07:04 AM
Don't forget RAM. You'll need some of that as well unless you buy a motherboard that's compatible with your old RAM (but that would be a really strange way to shop).