View Full Version : Stepping Back for A Little Objectivity

Doug Loudenback
12-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Lest we in OKC get too attached to the Hornets, maybe it is good to consider the following ...

1st, in the Houston Chronicle, 11/27/05, http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3486103.html a part of the article reads,

OKLAHOMA CITY - They'll be walking to New Orleans. Eventually.

That's what Hornets owner George Shinn says about his NBA franchise, despite the warm reception he has received in Oklahoma.

"We're going back," Shinn said. "No question about it. We're going home to New Orleans as soon as it's possible."

It is that kind of talk — even if it's only wishful thinking, for now — that has kept Shinn from getting the criticism that has been heaped on waffling New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson.

Shinn and the Hornets are working with Habitat For Humanity and broke ground this month to build 20 homes in New Orleans.

"It is our plan to have the Hornets representing New Orleans and playing in New Orleans," NBA commissioner David Stern said.

The Hornets have an option to return to Oklahoma City for a second season and likely will have to make that decision by February. The team has six games this season scheduled to be played in Baton Rouge, but there is talk of moving the final three games to New Orleans.

"We need to make sure we're going to have a good crowd and that they're pumped up, because the national media's going to be there," Shinn said.

2nd, in today's (Thursday, 12/08/05) ESPN's "Chat With David Stern" (it's an ESPN "Insider" article for which paid subscription is required) at http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=10103

Joseph (Kansas City): What is your opinion about the Hornets situation in New Orleans? Honestly, they are doing way better in attendance over in Oklahoma City.

David Stern: They are indeed doing great in OKC, but as far as we're concerned it's an interim, temporary home. It is our present intention to keep the team in New Orleans.

Soooo ...

Maybe it's best not to get too Hornet's-sticken (though it's a bit late for ME right now to be able to take my own advice) ... but, instead, that it might be more prudent to be aloof for our own protection and just focus on Okahoma City's potential gains SANS Hornets.

After all, although OKC is proving itself as "a market", which is probably all that might be the slightest bit interesting to Messers. Stern & Shinn, as well as providing a temporary umbrella for a damaged and displaced NBA team, sometimes, just sometimes ... do you think that we're (OKC) are just being played for suckers by getting some "strokes" from time to time by Messrs. Shinn & Stern ("OKC is a Major League city"; and "IF the NBA expands, OKC would be at the top of the list"; and all that sort of stuff)?

To be sure, it's quite possible to say,
The kinds of things Messrs. Stern & Shinn are saying are to be expected ... they are trying to satisfy everyone ... even though, in the end, both know that the economics will determine the outcome ...
... and things like that. BUT ... that would also mean that they are not being completely candid and honest with the NOLA interests ... and, if they are not, why ought OKC be taking their more "favorable" snippets directed to the OKC market with anything BUT a great deal of scrutiny and distrust?

I mean, if they are being misleading to NOLA, why ought we think they are likewise being misleading OKC ... after all, in the "interim", both want the Hornets to do well here so as to continue governmental, corporate, and fan support which means money to the Hornets and NBA.

The distrust that we see at HR.com as to Messrs. Shinn & Stern remarks has, in fact, a legitimate basis, at least, I think so.

If that's so, it might be wise, for our own interests, to step back and be less visceral and more pragmatic in our own perspective ... a little more weary of the "cold hard facts" just is likely to happen from the perspectives of Messrs. Shinn and Stern. Of course, if that happens, OKC will likely be less enthusiastic about supporting the Hornets, and not productive to OKC's possible NBA future.

It's ambiguous, to say the least. But, like is so with HR.com's people, who are apprently so attached to the Hornets to render the team it's most favorite pet beagle ever (and, coming from me, not a higher "pet" compliment could possibly be made), maybe it is a mistake for us to do the same. Maybe.

Of course, all of this "logical" thought comes too late for me. Maybe you can tell that well enough with my obsessive web pages of Hornets Pics, NBA Arenas, constantly updated schedule, etc. I'm even working on a new page now which focuses on the team members and coaches!!!

Oh, well ... I've lost loves before ... but I've never liked it. Very possibly, none of us will know the "truth" for quite a long while from now. That will not likely come by reading the tea leaves that Messrs. Shinn and/or Stern throw on the water from time to time, in and at such times as suits their purposes which, I predict, will continue to be an ebb and flow type of thing - always ambiguous, giving hope to one, but taking it away from the other, and then in the next few or several days, vice versa.

Is it better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all? Yeah, I think so. I guess that I'm a hopeless romantic, cause I surely do love these Hornets ... it's too late for me to be as rational about them as I've suggested that you might want to consider being.

C'est La Vie! :doh:

Karried
12-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Too late for me too!

I really think that's why I do have such compassion for the NO fans losing their team, I've already thought about how I would feel when they leave (and that's after them only being here a very short while).. I just feel empathy for them because I've embraced this team and will be so devastated when they leave. Even if we get another NBA team, it won't be the same ... kinda like a first love - we'll never forget our first NBA experience.

GO HORNETS!

MadMonk
12-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Somehow Doug, I get the feeling that you wouldn't mind the hornets leaving if the Honeybees still stayed. :D

Just like we promised, the Hornets in OKC are temporary and we'll give 'em back when they're ready. However, we've more that proven our case for a future NBA team and should expect to be at the top of the list the next time there is an opportunity.

Doug Loudenback
12-09-2005, 05:38 AM
Somehow Doug, I get the feeling that you wouldn't mind the hornets leaving if the Honeybees still stayed. :D

Just like we promised, the Hornets in OKC are temporary and we'll give 'em back when they're ready. However, we've more that proven our case for a future NBA team and should expect to be at the top of the list the next time there is an opportunity.

Nah, not me! :ohno: Never in a mil .... well, now that the full picture comes to mind ... you mean, like they'd stay, be the team members, too? Hmmmm ... MM, you may have something there! :bright_id

As to the 2nd point, I'm afraid that I got sucked in to the hype and the lack of clarity, combined with innuendo from time to time by Messrs. Shinn & Stern and I eventually came to hope that the team would stay. Most likely, until something definitive occurs, that hope will continue.