View Full Version : Planning four developments in Bricktown

Pete
12-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Nothing that new here, but a nice summary of the larger projects that are currently planned:

Planning four developments in Bricktown
by Brandice J. Armstrong
The Journal Record
12/7/2005

OKLAHOMA CITY - In the next several years, Bricktown will become home to at least two nationally known hotels. Talks about a third hotel and mixed residential and retail development are in the works.
A six-story Residence Inn is set to open late next year at the southeast corner of the SBC Bricktown Ballpark near Reno Avenue. It will be the third property in Oklahoma City's downtown by Missouri developer John Q. Hammons, who also developed the Renaissance Hotel and Courtyard by Marriott.

The $20 million hotel will have 150 rooms, a swimming pool and patio facing the Bricktown canal.

It will be a cut above the traditional Residence Inn, with a tie to the canal. There will be more balconies on the south side, said JoeVan Bullard, executive director of the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority.

"It will be nice, better decorated (than other Residence Inns), a little more plush," Hammons said.

Construction for a second hotel, The Hampton Inn, is set to begin in March. Situated just north of the ballpark, it will be on the east side of 222 E. Sheridan Ave.

At a cost of $24 million, the eight-story hotel will have 208 rooms, said Jonathan Pitman, associate and son of developer Marsh Pitman.

Managed by the Raymond Group in Madison, Wisc., the hotel is expected to be completed in August 2007.

The third hotel, an Embassy Suites, is still in the planning stage.

Hammons said when he adds the Embassy Suites, which is still in negotiations although construction is scheduled to begin in April or May, his hotels will offer a total of 944 rooms in downtown Oklahoma City/Bricktown.

"There's a market there," Hammons said. "It was created when Bricktown was designed and allowed to go forward."

Talks for the $35 million Embassy Suites have been ongoing since November 2004 when Hammons received a six-month extension from the Urban Renewal Authority to start construction on the site.

Bricktown Entertainment is also planning to add a five-story residential and retail development in lower Bricktown. Situated near Harkins Bricktown Cinemas, three stories will be for for-sale condominiums ranging from 1,000 to 2,000 square feet and two stories for retail, said Randy Hogan, managing partner of Bricktown Entertainment.

Construction could begin in early spring and wrap up in late 2006 or by the first quarter of 2007.

jbrown84
12-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Wasn't the Hampton supposed to be 10 stories?

Pete
12-11-2005, 08:12 AM
They originally said the Hampton would be 9 floors of rooms and the top floor would be storage, for a total of ten.

Doug Loudenback
12-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Nothing that new here, but a nice summary of the larger projects that are currently planned:

Planning four developments in Bricktown
by Brandice J. Armstrong
The Journal Record
12/7/2005

OKLAHOMA CITY - In the next several years, Bricktown will become home to at least two nationally known hotels. Talks about a third hotel and mixed residential and retail development are in the works.
A six-story Residence Inn is set to open late next year at the southeast corner of the SBC Bricktown Ballpark near Reno Avenue. It will be the third property in Oklahoma City's downtown by Missouri developer John Q. Hammons, who also developed the Renaissance Hotel and Courtyard by Marriott.

The $20 million hotel will have 150 rooms, a swimming pool and patio facing the Bricktown canal.

It will be a cut above the traditional Residence Inn, with a tie to the canal. There will be more balconies on the south side, said JoeVan Bullard, executive director of the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority.

"It will be nice, better decorated (than other Residence Inns), a little more plush," Hammons said.

I went to Bricktown today mainly to scope in the location of the Hampton Inn... see http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?p=40095#post40095 . But, while there, I took a few pics of the progress of the Residence Inn, shown below.

Looking SE from the North side of Reno ... Outdoor World is at the left ...

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/residenceinn01.jpg

Closeup of the construction sign ...

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/residenceinn02.jpg

Looking West on Reno from the corner of the construction site ... left to right: Toby Keith's, Harkins, and Sonic ...

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/residenceinn03.jpg

Jack
12-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Although I'd hope for something taller on the canal, the Residence Inn will still be a nice addition.

Not sure how tall the Hampton Inn will be, although anything in the 8-10 story range would be great for Brictkown.

Midtowner
12-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Bricktown developments should not have parking in the front. It is upsetting that these developers are squandering this unique location in OKC. We should settle for no less than a Hyatt Regency in that area.

Very unfortunate.

Karried
12-27-2005, 04:53 PM
OMG - I just saw the parking out front as well - oh no. Why would they approve that???

Extremely disappointing.

Jack
12-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Parking lot faces the street side. Hotel faces the canal side. Would you guys rather have it like Bass Pro? I wish Bass Pro would've been right up on the canal and had parking on the street side.

Doug Loudenback
12-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Parking lot faces the street side. Hotel faces the canal side. Would you guys rather have it like Bass Pro? I wish Bass Pro would've been right up on the canal and had parking on the street side.

I'm with you on that, Jack ... and, at least, this is ONE development that includes PARKING ... would that all of them did.

fromdust
12-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Bricktown developments should not have parking in the front. It is upsetting that these developers are squandering this unique location in OKC. We should settle for no less than a Hyatt Regency in that area.

Very unfortunate.

i agree with you. it is unfortunate.