View Full Version : Connect the Ford Center and Cox Center

Patrick
12-05-2005, 02:13 PM
We need to consider connecting the Ford Center and Cox Center with a sky bridge, or something similar. This would make parking much easier at the Ford Center. You could park under the Cox Center or at the Santa Fe Garage, and have a direct connection via sky bridges. I'd also like to see the Courtyard Marriott connected to the Ford Center with a Sky Bridge, similar to how the Renaissance is connected to the Cox Center.

BDP
12-05-2005, 02:16 PM
I like people on the streets, but that's just me.

John
12-05-2005, 06:32 PM
The Ford Center is less than 50 yards from the Courtyard.

I don't see what the problem is.

Patrick
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Convenience! BTW, the same thing could be said about the bridge connecting the Renaissance and the Cox Center.

Karried
12-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah, Wednesday night when it's 3 degrees walking back to the car from the Hornets game, I might welcome an inside pedestrian bridge - but I'm a wimp that can't handle cold weather.. unless I'm skiing, then I'm fine.. walking to the car, no.

HOT ROD
12-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Convenience! BTW, the same thing could be said about the bridge connecting the Renaissance and the Cox Center.

I think the Renaissance has its bridge for their Convention Centre namesake in addition to the fact that it has convention space and serves as the kitchen for the Cox Centre.

While I agree some sort of Pedestrian bridge might be cool betweek Cox and Ford, I dont think it is necessary. We need the pedestrian traffic and the venues are very close.

I think a stoplight crossing on Reno (between the two) might work! Have a fountain or something monumental (as well as new, updated Cox South Facade) with the crossing would surely emphasize the pedestrian-ability of the area. Plus, that is a superblock - so it could truly slow down traffic in the area (which is needed). Add in the Advertising board and I think the whole concept might actually add Big City feel to the area!

BDP
12-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I think a stoplight crossing on Reno

There actually is one there. It's a large circle paved in brick.

I like your fountain/plaza idea. If I'm picturing it right, there should be room on the Cox side for such an addition.

I'm afraid if we bridge everything, the it decreases the foot traffic that would be exposed to potential merchants in the area.

jbrown84
12-06-2005, 10:04 PM
I don't think it would work to have these kind of bridges because unlike the Cox, the tickets are taken basically as soon as you walk through the door on the main floor, so if you had skywalks connecting the hotel or the Cox it would be like a free entrance, and I think it would also damage the architectural style of the different buildings.