View Full Version : Canal changes needed

Patrick
12-05-2005, 02:11 PM
I've noticed while walking at canal level in Lower Bricktown, that there simply aren't any crossover bridges at that level. THe city needs to consider building a couple of canal-level bridges.

Also, now is the time that we need to consider plans for land surrounding the canal south of the current I-40. I know some want to leave it a park like setting, but personally, I think the river will have anough park like setting. We need to develop the canal.

BDP
12-05-2005, 02:18 PM
I agree with developing the canal and making the river more of a park. But if they develop it like lower bricktown, then i'm in favor of it being a park. ;)

Patrick
12-05-2005, 02:24 PM
I agree with developing the canal and making the river more of a park. But if they develop it like lower bricktown, then i'm in favor of it being a park. ;)

I concur.

Pete
12-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Remember that they'll be connected the southern part of the canal to the Oklahoma River, so water taxis will be coming all the way from Meridian.

That area is prime for more hotels and housing.

Patrick
12-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Sort of. They'll never be officially connected. But one segment will be extended to reach close to the other. The types of boats used on each segment will be different though.

metro
12-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Also, now is the time that we need to consider plans for land surrounding the canal south of the current I-40. I know some want to leave it a park like setting, but personally, I think the river will have anough park like setting. We need to develop the canal.

These things have been considered for years now. You may want to check out the master plans with the planning department with the city. Input is and will always still be considered. The private sector will also determine some development as well

venture
12-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Lower Bricktown and the Canal towards the river would be idea for another upscale hotel - such as the planned Embassy Suites. I firmly believe they should go all out and build it to where the Canal will actually travel through the center of the hotel - think Disney's Contemporary Hotel.

Karried
12-06-2005, 09:04 PM
An upscale hotel with boutiques! We need retail!! Shopping is always needed to increase interest and revenue... more shops.. more options.

I think the problem has been that retailers are trying to accomodate locals instead of visitors.. tourists and convention attendees need to have something to do and something to bring home.

I did notice that there really weren't very many shopping options when I brought out of town visitors to Bricktown.

Other than shopping, I think a winery and a wine tasting room would be a nice touch along the canal.

HOT ROD
12-07-2005, 03:59 PM
An upscale hotel with boutiques! We need retail!! Shopping is always needed to increase interest and revenue... more shops.. more options.

I think the problem has been that retailers are trying to accomodate locals instead of visitors.. tourists and convention attendees need to have something to do and something to bring home.

I did notice that there really weren't very many shopping options when I brought out of town visitors to Bricktown.

Other than shopping, I think a winery and a wine tasting room would be a nice touch along the canal.

Karried. I could not have said that any better.

Why are retailers always catoring to locals, what about OKC's burgeoning tourism industry (and tourists, conventioneers, and business transient travelers)? One thing we do when we travel is SHOP!!!

The Old Downtown Guy
12-12-2005, 09:59 PM
The new I-40 scheme changes a lot of the landscape immediately South of the end of the upper canal. There is new storm drain being installed in place of the present open grass lined ditch to allow improvements that will provide a transition between the upper canal and the river below. I believe that the existing railroad track either goes away or receives a grade-separated crossing.

Studio Architecture (Jim Hassenbeck, Stan Carroll and others) recently won an AIA honor award for their Oklahoma River master plan. It was a fabulous conceptual piece that presented the riverside as the front lawn/porch of the residential and commercial development along the banks. In addition, suggested structures extending into the river improving and adding additional texture to the river's edge.

There is still so much open space down there and the landscaping is so young that it will be a while before the look of future development can be easily visualized. Give it five to ten years. Right now, a trip to the end of the canal is rewarded with a 360 degree panorama of interesting sights including the partially completed monumental Land Run sculpture, the Chesapeake Boathouse and the OKC skyline. It's a great spot to watch a great OKC sunset.