View Full Version : What I hate about being single

Pages : [1] 2

sweetdaisy
12-03-2005, 05:21 PM
I've been single for over a year now, and I've made a few observations about the good and bad about singledom. Let me first say that I am a grossly independent woman (almost to a fault) who rarely needs help from people. I'm highly functional and can do anything around my home that needs to be done. For the most parrt, I enjoy my singleness, but do have a few complaints.

I'd really like to hear what other folks hate about being single. But here's my list in the meantime:

1. I have to kill my own bugs. (Yuck)
2. Taking my car in for day-long maintenance work is a pain...you have to find someone who isn't put out by picking you up and hauling you back to the car repair.
3. No really good romantic dinners. (there's only so many romantic dinners I can have by myself before it gets old)
4. Not having anyone to hold me close when i have a bad day. I think this is the worst one, b/c lately I've been having a lot of bad days at work.

These are the big ones for now. I've had some little successes on my own recently, so not having someone here to do things for me just made me puff with pride. :irule:

what do you guys think? what do you hate about it all?

Curt
12-03-2005, 05:36 PM
The lack of intimacy is the only thing I miss about being with someone..but the games that go along with it to me just are not worth it. I can cook, clean the house, do my laundry, pay me bills, do my shopping, etc., etc. But the one thing I cannot do on my own just aint worth the games.

mranderson
12-03-2005, 06:50 PM
(although I do not have to worry about this anymore) A dozen roses and a candle light dinner for one.

dirtrider73068
12-03-2005, 07:44 PM
1. I have to kill my own bugs. (Yuck)
2. Taking my car in for day-long maintenance work is a pain...you have to find someone who isn't put out by picking you up and hauling you back to the car repair.
3. No really good romantic dinners. (there's only so many romantic dinners I can have by myself before it gets old)
4. Not having anyone to hold me close when i have a bad day. I think this is the worst one, b/c lately I've been having a lot of bad days at work.

Number 1 and 2 I don't have to worry I can kill my own bugs, and I can do most if not all my own car work. Now 3 and 4 those I miss, really right now its number 4 I miss the most. There is nothing more comforting than haveing someone hold you telling you everything is going to be ok. For me in the drepressing state I have been in and fighting it for over a year, it helps me out. Another thing is haveing another person to have a conversation with about my days events. Haveing dinner already cooked and ready to eat when I get home. My list could on and on.

sweetdaisy
12-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Another one that annoys me:

Cooking for one. Do they actually make cookbooks for the single? In regular cookbooks, every recipe makes enough for a family. geez. I can only do leftovers a couple days!

Curt
12-04-2005, 08:11 AM
They do make cookbooks for single people, that have recipe's for small portions. I actually ordered a few of these a few years back from Campbells soups, they had some kind of coupon in one of the flyers that came in my mail to order these books and they have some good recipes in them.

gbyte
12-04-2005, 11:38 AM
1) The lack of having someone there to be close with (hugs/kisses/holding)
2) Lack of having that other person you can talk to whenever you need to

Karried
12-04-2005, 03:52 PM
What's interesting is that we could have a thread titled:

"What I hate about being married"
"What I hate about being divorced"
"What I hate about being a widow"

Sometimes the grass is always greener ... :-)

sweetdaisy
12-04-2005, 07:31 PM
What's interesting is that we could have a thread titled:

"What I hate about being married"
"What I hate about being divorced"
"What I hate about being a widow"

Sometimes the grass is always greener ... :-)

I think being widowed or divorced gets you back to the whole single thing.

okieopus
12-04-2005, 10:28 PM
February 14...i hate this day most of all

Karried
12-05-2005, 06:56 AM
I think being widowed or divorced gets you back to the whole single thing.

LOL, yes, you are right - but most people don't choose to lose a spouse or have someone leave them and I know some people who like and want to be single so maybe there are a few differences...

I think it's a great discussion though - I guess my poorly worded post was to say that we all sometimes wish our lives were 'like' someone elses or different .. and really, I think I want some of the singles who might be feeling lonely at this time of year to realize that all the 'warm, fuzzy pictures' you see all around aren't always indicitive of reality.. more than likely the couple just had a fight or the kids just threw a tantrum.. look around, sometimes married couples look miserable ( I've watched couples sit through an entire meal without speaking - that's a slow death in my opinion) and sometimes singles look miserable.

I remember when I was between relationships, I felt that everyone had a partner and I was the only single person to be found.. it seemed as if everyone was in love - the reality was they were probably miserable and just in the relationship out of fear of being alone..

BTW, Sweetdaisy, I love your photo in the gallery - I couldn't rate it for some reason but it's really cute - 10!

Anyway, I guess I want the singles to feel okay about their choices at this time of year.

Curt
12-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks Karrie and your right, the grass may always seem greener on the other side of things, but it aint always that way. It took me awhile to adapt the attitude of just making the best of a situation and being happy with what you have at the time and to be honest I am happy right now even though I am alone it's all good. I see alot of people that are married and miserable and vise versa but I guess as long as you can get up out of bed everyday and go on with life and have a roof over your head and your health, things aint that bad.

Jay
12-06-2005, 01:01 AM
I think the only thing I truly hate about being single is coming home to an empty apartment. It sure would be nice to have someone greet me when I come home. Someone who could laugh with me at the old episodes of Night Court that I TIVO.

Other than that rest is an adventure for me especially since I am still learning this whole concept called cooking. Which would be another benefit to having a woman around.

I would not want her to cook for me (unless she wanted to) I just want to learn more than bake at 450 and cook for 5 1/2 minutes vent film cover over entree. I'm terrible when it comes to recipes. The good news is I have not started any fires and I have not had food poisoning so far.

The rest of the household stuff I am an ace at. Five years of living in military barracks and having to wash, press and fold your own laundry will make any man an expert at household chores.

Oh and yes I handle my own bugs too. I try to catch and release when I can if it flies it dies instantly.

kellekokid
12-06-2005, 10:03 AM
I miss having some one to have conversations with, laugh with at your silly jokes or whatever. Feeling like you belong to someone and they to you. (I mean that in a good way not MINE!!) I enjoy cooking for someone(s) who will appreciate it. I agree, sweetdaisy, cooking for one is a drag. I also miss at the end of the day spooning with someone and pillowtalking for a little while before you get comfy on your own side of the bed and drifting off to sleep smiling.

hercules
12-06-2005, 11:16 AM
what i hate about being single is constantly fighting with myself over why it's so difficult for me to trust someone. relationships these days don't seem to last as long as they might have been like in days past. but, the most difficult thing is that cloud of lonliness that hangs over me. add that with having no idea how to talk to women and you got yourself a person who has to live with a fear of never meeting anyone who will cherish, adore, respect, and love you for the rest of your life.

welcome to my world.

sweetdaisy
12-06-2005, 07:48 PM
I also kinda miss the variety in laundry. it'd be nice to iron a shirt without darts for a change (for you guys that don't know what darts are, they give a woman's blouse it's shape) or see some men's underwear tumbling around in my basket of unmentionables. ;)

Kellekokid, you're right on the nose with spooning, too. OHHHH...I love spooning.

Oh, and OklaCity? You can usually pop those entrees in the microwave, too. That's what I do. ;) LOL!

Karried
12-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Hercules, welcome! I guess you have to weigh out what you think might hurt more, falling in love and possibly risk losing that love or never trying and never feeling love... it is scary, no doubt about that.... I think if you turn it around and think to yourself about the person who might be just as lonely as you are and how you might help ease their loneliness, it might help you to take the risk... there is someone out there just waiting for you...

dirtrider73068
12-06-2005, 09:04 PM
what i hate about being single is constantly fighting with myself over why it's so difficult for me to trust someone. relationships these days don't seem to last as long as they might have been like in days past. but, the most difficult thing is that cloud of lonliness that hangs over me. add that with having no idea how to talk to women and you got yourself a person who has to live with a fear of never meeting anyone who will cherish, adore, respect, and love you for the rest of your life.

welcome to my world.

Ditto have been there am there, don't like being there. I am in your world I know exactacly what its like. Anymore I do my thing, if she that one is intrested in wanting to get to know me more she will have to appraoch me and make me believe and trust her, I don't any woman or person for that matter, can think they one wife for that she cheated on me, broke my trust with anybody.

Jay
12-06-2005, 10:22 PM
I also kinda miss the variety in laundry. it'd be nice to iron a shirt without darts for a change (for you guys that don't know what darts are, they give a woman's blouse it's shape) or see some men's underwear tumbling around in my basket of unmentionables. ;)

Kellekokid, you're right on the nose with spooning, too. OHHHH...I love spooning.

Oh, and OklaCity? You can usually pop those entrees in the microwave, too. That's what I do. ;) LOL!

OHHH that is what that big white box with clock on it is for...... and to think I have been using it to dry my underwear and socks all this time. LOL

I love spoons too their great for well........... never mind I'll behave myself and I won't go there.

LOL:boff: ;)

kellekokid
12-08-2005, 09:41 AM
since this is called what I hate about being single and things such as laundry and bug killing are right up there at the top for we girls I thought I'd add getting the oil change done on the car. I noticed just yesterday that mine needs it and the best thing I can think about it is the place I take it to has "lady's day" on Tuesdays so guess that's where I'll be this coming Tuesday Oh the anticipation!!

Leon
12-08-2005, 05:13 PM
February 14...i hate this day most of all

Doesn't that just about say it all?

Leon
12-08-2005, 05:20 PM
What do I hate most about being single?: Absolutely everything!

In particular: That empty hole in my soul that manifests itself as a belly-ache.

kellekokid
12-11-2005, 12:36 PM
along with getting the oil change....pretty much anything to do with car repairs...however, I'm gonna brag on myself a quick second. I had a tail light/blinker out on my car...not a good thing since I have a 45 min. drive home after work..in the dark....and pass at least 2 well known places the cops like to sit and wait on traffic. Anyway. I got to Autozone got the lights to replace them, got home to do so, had the wrong ones, went back got the right ones and then got them put in and now both lights work grand! Would I have preferred to say Honey I have a light out, can you fix that for me?? You bet I would have. However~~
I think most of us singles could say we don't need a partner. Want one? ummm yeah..

sweetdaisy
12-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Congrats to you, kellekokid! That's awesome you took care of it yourself! YAY!

I totally agree with your final comment. "most of us singles could say we don't need a partner. Want one? ummm yeah..." This caused me to contemplate a statement I read from mariner in another thread saying that "women don't need men". It was one that really stumped me. Perhaps someone can set me straight on this...since when does one person REQUIRE (need) someone else? Certainly, it's really great to have a partner, however it's not required in order to lead wonderful fulfilling life.

Several folks on this thread have commented about the loneliness and emptiness of singledom...may I offer this suggestion: try enjoying your life WITHOUT feeling you HAVE to be in a relationship. I think everyone talks themselves into thinking they aren't a complete person or have less to offer just because they are single. Stop thinking that way. It's not true! Some of the unhappiest people I know are married.

I just hate having to kill my own bugs!!!!

dirtrider73068
12-11-2005, 06:51 PM
I have thought about that did once already when I lived alone didn't like it then and don't like it now. And I never will, its not that its a comentment its just haveing someone to talk to when I problem approaches. Like right now I have no body I can talk to about my happens or a how I am feeling. I hav eto keep it bottled up and then that makes its worse. Alot of being alone I have just dealt with cause I know deep down, I will be like this for a long time to come.

Jay
12-11-2005, 11:58 PM
I hate pity parties. It seems to me there are a few singles here that are staying in the rut to get attention from some of the other board members.

Sure I have my moments when I come here to blow off steam but, I try to put a positive spin on it. I always keep it light hearted and never aim to bring people down to feel sorry for me.

In my opinion the pity parties have to stop. You do nothing but make this situation worse when you complain and take no action.

To all you eligible singles out there you will never find anyone while your down in the dumps.

Nobody wants someone who is an emotional wreck. People are attracted to people who lead happy interesting lives.

That does not mean you need a complete life makeover. It means you need to find happiness and find something interesting and challenging to put your talents towards. I do not care who you are everybody has a talent.

Leon
12-12-2005, 12:28 AM
Here, here! I, for one, know I have been down on things over the last many months. But I'm quite a bit better now.

I'm not the Leon most of you are familiar with. It's all behind me now.

The new life looks much better than the old.

kellekokid
12-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Here, here! I, for one, know I have been down on things over the last many months. But I'm quite a bit better now.

I'm not the Leon most of you are familiar with. It's all behind me now.

The new life looks much better than the old.

Yea!! I'm so glad to see that from you Leon! When you first started posting you were not only mad you were so sad. It has been interesting, encouraging and so nice to see you changing through your posts!

Leon
12-12-2005, 07:15 PM
I hate doing ALL the Christmas shopping.....Two hours tonight, and guess what I came home with.....a twelve pack of beer. :kicking:

Karried
12-12-2005, 07:37 PM
I think for some people this might be the one place that they can come to and vent and express their hurt and lonliness. I don't see it as an attention getter - just a safe place to express themselves and share with others who might be feeling the same way. We all heal and recover at different rates.

But I also agree that we have to move forward and put ourselves out there in order to meet people.

Leon
12-12-2005, 09:15 PM
I think for some people this might be the one place that they can come to and vent and express their hurt and lonliness. I don't see it as an attention getter - just a safe place to express themselves and share with others who might be feeling the same way. We all heal and recover at different rates.

But I also agree that we have to move forward and put ourselves out there in order to meet people.

Ummm,.....yeah, yeah, Baby, Let's go party! LOL

Curt
12-12-2005, 09:17 PM
I hate doing ALL the Christmas shopping.....Two hours tonight, and guess what I came home with.....a twelve pack of beer. :kicking:
You plan on sharing that with anyone? :spin:

Curt
12-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Ummm,.....yeah, yeah, Baby, Let's go party! LOL
Down boy, down...she is married but maybe if'n I came down we could go round up some phillies to dance with?

Leon
12-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Down boy, down...she is married but maybe if'n I came down we could go round up some phillies to dance with?

You ever come to OKC, PM me first, let me know...I've found two smokin' hot clubs:kicking: recently.

Leon
12-12-2005, 10:26 PM

Kerrie's 'good people'. Risking her's, her family's, or my well-being is not even to be considered. But if she ever needs a cold beer, flat changed, or a dry shoulder, she'll be taken care of.

Kerried, aren't you from California?....You know what 'good people' means?

Leon
12-12-2005, 10:39 PM
OK, another "Hate About Being Single": My place would probably look a lot more friendly if I had a little of that fru-fru stuff women put about. They call it "decorating", and men snub their noses at it 'cause we're just no damned good at it......Not too much, mind you,....that stuff has to be dusted.

kellekokid
12-12-2005, 11:24 PM

Party at Leon's!! :Smiley051

osupa05
12-28-2005, 08:23 AM
I would love to have somebody to scratch that one stinkin' spot in the middle of my back that always itches and I can never reach no matter how contortionistic (spl?) I become... Because really, can that itch ever be satisfied by rubbing against a door??? I think not!!!!

sweetdaisy
12-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Graduation gift for osupa05 - back scratcher. (I think one of those snazzy red plastic ones with the little hand on one end.)

osupa05
12-28-2005, 08:02 PM
haha! but it's not a substitute.. you still have to do all the work.. how bout a very cute back scratcher in the form of a tall, dark and handsome man!!!

mranderson
12-28-2005, 08:17 PM
haha! but it's not a substitute.. you still have to do all the work.. how bout a very cute back scratcher in the form of a tall, dark and handsome man!!!
Sorry ladies. I am spoken for now.:LolLolLol

Curt
12-28-2005, 10:54 PM
I want a back scratcher in the form of Sara Evans......

sweetdaisy
12-29-2005, 07:37 AM

I'm wishing for a dishwasher that looks like that. :)

sweetdaisy
12-31-2005, 08:06 AM
I have to add one more to the "what I hate about being single" list. I can't get my Christmas tree into my attic! An 8 ft. tree (Wow! That sucker is heavy!) going uphill on an attic ladder is not something little ol' me can do. SUCKY!

mranderson
12-31-2005, 08:10 AM
I have to add one more to the "what I hate about being single" list. I can't get my Christmas tree into my attic! An 8 ft. tree (Wow! That sucker is heavy!) going uphill on an attic ladder is not something little ol' me can do. SUCKY!

You could do what we are doing. We are having a holiday tree. February is a Valentines tree, March a St Patricks day tree, April an Easter tree, May a Memorial day tree, etc.

sweetdaisy
12-31-2005, 08:12 AM
LMAO! That's awesome, Mr. Anderson! :)

Oki_Man5
12-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Goodness, and here before I read all this stuff that people must think married people do for each other, I thought I was married. I have been with the same woman with the benefit of having stood in front of a preacher for so many years that I cannot count them any more, but most of the things youall speak of as being part of being married, I cannot relate to.

Happy New Year!

Pete

osupa05
01-01-2006, 12:26 AM
You mean I won't get my back scratched every night???? Boo! ;~)

mranderson
01-01-2006, 05:31 AM
"what do you guys think? what do you hate about it all?"

I hate the fact that when your dog lays dying, there is no one there to hold you while you cry your eyes out.

Oki_Man5
01-01-2006, 06:02 AM
OSUPA LOL

Noticing that line of guys who heard about your needs extending from your front door all the way down the block and winding down the street all the way to Wal-Mart where they are getting that last minute manicure (LOL That is me getting the pedicure LOL I wanna do it a different way. (Scratch that itch, now, so get your mind back on that itch) LOL), so when they have their ill-fated attempt to fulfill your scratching need and squelch your craving, they will leave no marks. LOL

It is a challenge for us guys to keep the next guy from getting a chance at it.

Pete

Note: My apologies in advance if this is considered offensive; it was not meant to be.

Jack
01-03-2006, 02:28 PM
"what do you guys think? what do you hate about it all?"

I hate the fact that when your dog lays dying, there is no one there to hold you while you cry your eyes out.

That's what will probably happen when your relationship falls. I've read your posts, and it sounds like you're in your relationship for the wrong reasons. Just my opinion though.

osupa05
01-03-2006, 02:41 PM
OSUPA LOL

Noticing that line of guys who heard about your needs extending from your front door all the way down the block and winding down the street all the way to Wal-Mart where they are getting that last minute manicure (LOL That is me getting the pedicure LOL I wanna do it a different way. (Scratch that itch, now, so get your mind back on that itch) LOL), so when they have their ill-fated attempt to fulfill your scratching need and squelch your craving, they will leave no marks. LOL

It is a challenge for us guys to keep the next guy from getting a chance at it.

Pete

Note: My apologies in advance if this is considered offensive; it was not meant to be.

haha.. well that line of guys must have blew away the other day.... before I got home! I'm content using my lovely wooden back scratcher.. aka.. the door-jam for now!

Oki_Man5
01-03-2006, 04:47 PM
I use one of the posts between the living room and dining room.

Those guys are all out fighting fires, so go easy with that scratcher lest you start another fire.

Leon
01-03-2006, 04:54 PM
I hate the lackonookie.

osupa05
01-03-2006, 05:01 PM
"lackonookie" Nice phrase coinage going on there, Mr. Leon.

Yes.. too much back scratchin' on the post has increased fire starting potential! Well, I'm off to buy a candle... I really do like fires, so long as they are nicely contained within the confines of a glass jar or fireplace!!!

Leon
01-05-2006, 09:11 PM

Ya like that, aye? LOL

Oki_Man5
01-09-2006, 05:09 PM

Yes.. too much back scratchin' on the post has increased fire starting potential! Well, I'm off to buy a candle... I really do like fires, so long as they are nicely contained within the confines of a glass jar or fireplace!!!

I been thinking I wanted to try making some candles, so with a Michael's 40-percent-off coupon, I bought 11 pounds of candle wax; then some time with another 40-percent-off coupon, bought some wicks. And they lay in the closet for months.

For Christmas, with a 40-percent-off coupon from Hobby Lobby of course, bought a candlemaker kit. Took it out of the box and put it together, and it sits on the shelf in the closet.

Whew, I guess those candle-making items are resting. Maybe when I get the roof on the garage which might take maybe another month, I will have some free time for things like that.

:backtotop If only I knew what the topic was.

Pete

Leon
01-17-2006, 10:15 PM
I hate hanging pictures alone.

Bought a large desert landscape painting at the starving artist show this weekend. Now my wall looks like a pincushion 'cause I was just too close to tell how it looked.

Does anyone here love the desert? Ever listen to the words of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" by the Eagles? Is my age showing?

mranderson
01-18-2006, 06:10 AM
That's what will probably happen when your relationship falls. I've read your posts, and it sounds like you're in your relationship for the wrong reasons. Just my opinion though.

This is off topic, however, you opened the door. What makes you think I am in a relationship for the "wrong" reasons? You have no idea what goes on behind my doors.

sweetdaisy
01-18-2006, 07:24 AM
I hate hanging pictures alone.

Bought a large desert landscape painting at the starving artist show this weekend. Now my wall looks like a pincushion 'cause I was just too close to tell how it looked.

Does anyone here love the desert? Ever listen to the words of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" by the Eagles? Is my age showing?

Almost moved to Tucson, AZ years ago. Desert is pretty groovy, plus there's no grass to mow! In addition, none of those pesky wildfires. :D

Buy a laser level...they work very well.