View Full Version : Home Network Help?

Karried
12-01-2005, 08:58 AM
I already posted this but it didn't go through ( Cox cable is having problems with packet loss on my line - fixing it tomorrow)

Anyway... I want to surprise my husband for Christmas with a computer and most importantly - get him connected so that we can go online at the same time.

Where to begin?? I need a network card (2) and a wireless router correct? My house has an upstairs but I think we will only be one wall apart or possibly in the same office.. any ideas on what the best equipment is and where to buy economically?

Please help - it's quickly approaching!

I have Cox Cable ( can't remember the speed but it is the silver package - usually really fast loads) I have a Dell 8400 running Windows XP professional..

Ideally, I want something that won't interfere with our online usage - so that we can both be on simultaneous and not affect the connection speed.

Thanks! I appreciate all help..

ibda12u
12-01-2005, 12:53 PM
I'd get a linksys wireless router Best Buy, has a Linksys Wireless Router Model Number WRT54G. for about $70.00.

Then for super easy setup, I'd just get a USB Wireless Network Card. Bestbuy has one model number WUSB54G for about $60.00.

Then all you do, is plug your cable modem into the Wireless Router, Plug your current pc into the wireless router, via the network cable. renew your IP.

Then on your new pc, plug the USB wireless network adapter into it. Install the software.
Viola. You should both be up and surfing without a problem, and with very minimal connection speed loss, (if any at all).

This option would work even if the new pc was going to be upstairs (as long as it was in signal range), or in another room. And you won't have to run and extra unsightly cords to it. I think this is the easiest solution also, as you won't have to install a network adapter into the new pc, if it's a desktop. If you're getting him a new laptop, it may already have a wireless adapter built into it. So you can save $60, and just purchase a wireless router.

The setup I described above is pretty much a quick access method, you would want to setup some security such as WEP or firewall etc...

ibda12u
12-01-2005, 12:55 PM
My preference is Linksys because of it's ease of use, but Dlink, belkin, and other all make decent products. They should all be fine for home. There are bigger and more expensive products out there, but definatly don't need it for sharing 2 pc's on a cable modem.

Karried
12-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Thank you! ibda12u, it sounds complicated but I think if I take it step by step like above, I should be okay.. okpulse had similar suggestions -

Sounds like you both know what you are talking about - good, since I don't!

Thanks!!

Karried
12-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Here is another question - I haven't researched it too much but can the Vonage router be used as a network router to enable two simutaneous internet connections or is it just for phone usage?

Also, do you recommend the Speedbooster for Linksys -

Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster

I found it on Amazon.com for $74 plus a $15 dollar rebate and free shipping - what do you think?

ibda12u
12-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey Karried,
I'm not sure which Vonage router you have or may be purchasing, but I know of Linksys routers that have the vonage capability, and they can be used for sharing your internet connection. I saw some wireless versions and wired version, on amazon. I only reccommend the wireless over the wired, for ease of setup, and the flexibility you gain in case you want to move one of the pc's to another location (don't have to run a new cable).

I've used routers and an access point with Speedbooster, and I you won't see a speed increase with just surfing. Mainly because your download speed from cox is no faster than 10mb (usually much slower 2mb?) Speedbooster is supposed to give you up to a 35% network improvement in performance, but at 2mb you wouldn't notice it.

IMHO, That's a good price, speedbooster is already on it and maybe one day you would like to upgrade your network to speedbooster adapters, so sounds like a good deal to me.
I've never bought anything except books from amazon though I'm certain their hardware's fine.

okcpulse
12-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Karried, whereever you can save money is a good thing. BTW, what kind of PC where you planning to buy? And, for what purpose would your husband be using the PC?

Karried
12-01-2005, 09:28 PM
What else? Reading OKCTalk, ha,ha

nah, he's a sports fan and purchases items from ebay for his business. Really surfing and shopping basically - not gaming - he has the xbox (Madden NFL).

okcpulse
12-01-2005, 11:14 PM
In that case, average configuration should do. Standard 512 MB of RAM, AMD Athlon 64 processor (I am an AMD fan, anti-Intel), probably on-board video RAM or a low-end graphics card. Your budget will be average.