View Full Version : Legalize prostitution in OKC

SoundMind
11-29-2005, 06:58 PM
I think it's time that we legalize prostitution in OKC. It's time that we shed our conservative ways and move into the 21st century. If a woman wants to sell herself out on S. Robinson, why should it be anyone's business? It's her body.

Uptowner
11-29-2005, 07:23 PM
I concur. As I said in another post, government needs to stay out of people's lives as much as possible. If a woman wants to be a prostitute, she should have the right to choose that way of life.

Shaggy
11-29-2005, 07:29 PM
I concur. As I said in another post, government needs to stay out of people's lives as much as possible. If a woman wants to be a prostitute, she should have the right to choose that way of life.
Yeah, right. Have you ever heard of AIDS? Anybody that engages in prostitution, deserves to get AIDS. Prostitution is illegal, and it needs to stay that way. I get tired of people getting on their high horses and always saying the government needs to stay out of our lives. Give me a break, and get over yourself.:poke:

Curt
11-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Prostitution is legal ten miles from me in Windsor, Canada and they are regularly checked for STD's, so I think that maybe it's the people just not practicing safe sex that is the problem, not so much prostitutes.

BDP
11-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Anybody that engages in prostitution, deserves to get AIDS.

Holy Crap!

I get tired of people getting on their high horses

:LolLolLol

The irony is strong with this one.

It's Freedom Of Religion, Not Freedom From religion

I can't believe that this makes sense to anyone. Does this mean that we're not free to be quiet because we have free speech?

Uptowner
11-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Regulation improves the outcome of all "sinful" acts. For example, alcohol is better controlled today than it was during the times of prohibition, because it's regulated. Age limits are in place.

If we regulated prostitution, AIDS would be much less in the prostitute population.

I'm in favor of legalizing every sinful act, and regulating them.

Let's legalize recreational drugs. Let's legalize tatoos in the state.

Shoot, let's allow minors to smoke and drink. They along with their parents should be able to make their own choices. The government shouldn't run our lives.

Uptowner
11-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Laws on prostitution don't help

San Francisco Chronicle - Monday August 28, 1989
Randy Shilts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sauntering in darkened doorways in the sleaziest parts of town, prostitutes have long represented the worst nightmare of an AIDS-anxious society.
News that a streetwalker with early symptoms of AIDS was working San Francisco's Tenderloin a few years back prompted one local television station to talk about a "walking AIDS time bomb."

In no other area of AIDS law have legislatures moved as fast as to enact new criminal codes quarantining or jailing any AIDS-infected prostitute who continues to ply the world's oldest profession.

Although AIDS debates are normally contentious, there has been an unparalleled unanimity on prostitute legislation -- few have argued the wisdom of such laws. Yet, few issues of AIDS policy have proved as groundless.

The stark fact is that there is virtually no evidence that prostitutes are playing any significant role in the spread of this disease.

For several years, the people who track the spread of the epidemic, the epidemiologists at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, have watched warily for an AIDS-prostitute connection.

What they knew was that huge numbers of prostitutes in Eastern urban areas are infected with HIV, either through their own intravenous drug use or through sex with other addicts. What they feared was that they would go on to infect their clients, who would then bring the virus back to middle-class suburbia and launch a new chain of infection.

In 1985, public health officials -- particularly in New York City, where as many as half of all prostitutes are estimated to be HIV-infected -- predicted that it was only a matter of time before the businessman from Cleveland was spreading around viral souvenirs to his wife or girlfriend.

At the CDC, the epidemiologists waited for evidence that this would happen. And they waited. Several years into their watch, however, it hasn't.

"If there were this suburban propagation of the virus from sources in the inner city, you should start picking it up in blood donors," says Dr. Timothy Dondero Jr. of the CDC. "So far, we haven't seen it."

Sociologist Bill Darrow, who is heading the CDC studies on prostitutes and AIDS, says, "There isn't any evidence that I'm aware of that clearly indicates prostitutes as a transmitter of HIV infection."

Given the fact that HIV-infected prostitutes have been working the streets for at least a decade, most epidemiologists figure that if prostitute-transmitted AIDS was indeed going to turn out to be a major factor in the spread of HIV, it would have happened already.

"Look at New York, where you have had a high number of infected prostitutes for some time," says Priscilla Alexander, executive director of the National Task Force on Prostitution. "A street prostitute is likely to see eight guys a day -- that's 1,500 a year. Given these numbers, if it was going to happen, we would have seen it by now."

Nobody is sure why earlier prostitute fears never panned out.

Several studies have documented the fact that it is more difficult for women to transmit the HIV virus sexually to men than it is for men to infect women. Moreover, most prostitutes apparently prefer servicing clients with oral rather than ******l sex, making the chances of HIV transmission far less likely. For their part, prostitutes' advocacy groups assert that the proletariand of the sex industry have become some of the most avid condom-users in America.

Clearly, it is the ethical imperative of every HIV-infected person not to behave in a way that transmits this god-awful virus to others. However, in responding to the perceived problem of prostitution and AIDS, legislatures have ignored epidemiological reality and opted to score some easy political points. They have enacted draconian punishments for any HIV-infected prostitute who even solicits an act of prostitution, regardless of whether the act would have or could have transmitted the virus.

According to Alexander's figures, 13 states now have laws relating to AIDS and prostitution, most of which add significant penalties to any HIV-infected woman convicted of prostitution.

In California, for example, prostitutes face an added felony charge if they are arrested for soliciting after they have learned that they are HIV positive. The California law has not yet been implemented, but in Nevada, a Las Vegas prostitute was sentenced to 10 years in prison two months ago under a state law that provides for 20 years' imprisonment of any HIV-infected woman convicted of soliciting for prostitution.

There's more politics than public health in such laws. Put simply, prostitutes are easy people to pick on. Few in respectable quarters see any political gain in rallying to their defense, so prostitutes are easy targets for legislators who are out to prove that they're doing something to fight AIDS.

Hence, the politics of prostitution has left another historical anomaly for the epidemic: The legislative area of AIDS that has seen the most decisive action is also the arena in which action has in fact proved most worthless.

hipsterdoofus
12-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Yes because theres absolutely nothing illegal that goes on in prostitution besides the actual selling of sex...nothing like all the pimping, human slavery situations, and drugs. I guess all that should legal too huh?

An you should not tell me that I should have to be forced to spend my taxpayer money to ensure that women who want to sell themselves are regularly checked for STD's.

diesel
12-01-2005, 02:13 PM
if they were to legalize prostitution, i would say that they need to have actual places of business do it.. like they do in nevada.. where the girls actually work there and have to take regular STD tests to make sure that they are clean for their guests.. that would help out alot as far as STD's go and prostitutes...

BDP
12-01-2005, 02:53 PM
nothing like all the pimping, human slavery situations, and drugs. I guess all that should legal too huh?

But a lot of that exists because prostitution is illegal. Making anything that is in demand illegal will inherently cause a network of crime to support that demand.

I'm not saying that prostitution should be universally legal, but making it illegal obviously doesn't stop it from happening. The truth is that you are paying A LOT more in taxes to police, prosecute, and incarcerate for these activities than you would spend on STD tests for the prostitutes. In fact, the prostitutes themselves would probably pay for that with their own taxes. They currently are not paying any, you see. And, in the end, you've spent all that money and it did nothing to stop the practice.

There really is not pragmatic or sensible reason for it to being illegal. It is simply a cultural choice to criminalize something deemed immoral by those in power.

TheImmortal
12-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Hell will freeze over before prostitution is legalized in Oklahoma and that is the only way to put it. I could care less honestly, I am not so pathetic and self loathing that I need to pay for sex to get it. Neither am I so preoccupied with it that I need to pay for it. I wouldn't mind if it were legalized as long as it was restricted by certain boundaries, boundaries far away from our precious revitalized areas. But as we all know, the conservative mindset is strong in Oklahoma.

BDP
12-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Hell will freeze over before prostitution is legalized in Oklahoma and that is the only way to put it.

No doubt about that. We can't even buy wine on Sunday.

I don't think anyone is advocating it based on their desire to practice in it. It's more an idealogical stance on individual liberty, as well as a cost benefit analysis of vice enforcement.

mranderson
12-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Hell will freeze over before prostitution is legalized in Oklahoma and that is the only way to put it. I could care less honestly, I am not so pathetic and self loathing that I need to pay for sex to get it. Neither am I so preoccupied with it that I need to pay for it. I wouldn't mind if it were legalized as long as it was restricted by certain boundaries, boundaries far away from our precious revitalized areas. But as we all know, the conservative mindset is strong in Oklahoma.

The nay sayers said the same thing about major league sports coming to Oklahoma City and being successful... Guess what? Hell froze over. Think about it.