View Full Version : Downtown Library for sale

Patrick
11-29-2005, 01:07 PM
I guess the library won't become lofts afterall. Looks like the city didn't approve the sale at auction.

Used library for sale

By Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City is looking for a buyer for the old downtown library building after a summer auction brought only one disappointing bid.

The city council agreed Tuesday to try to sell the building, 131 Dean A. McGee, which closed last year when its books were moved to the new Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library.

The city council declared the building surplus in May. At an auction three weeks later, the only bid submitted was below the minimum-required $950,000.

The building is 64,530 square feet and was built in 1953 on four lots the city has owned since 1899. The new library was built as part of the Metropolitan Area Projects (MAPS).

metro
11-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Yeah, nothing has changed since the auction back in the summer, they were never going to be lofts, just one of many possible ideas but as the article states, no one ever met the minimum bid and the city never approved anything lower.

PS. You may want to change the title to OLD downtown library so no one gets confused with the NEW library

hipsterdoofus
12-01-2005, 11:01 AM
I must say as far as lofts go, that is one dugeon-ish building. There are very few windows in it at all, having been it in many many times. Personally I think it would be better suited for some ISP, etc, since it is right next to SBC.

Luke
12-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Is it tear-down-able?

BDP
12-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Is it tear-down-able?

With the right amount of TNT, anything is, but hopefully they can find a suitable use for it.

hipsterdoofus
12-02-2005, 01:09 PM
not sure they could do TNT with that. Again, it butts up against the SBC building, so they would have to be very careful. And, something creepy about setting off TNT across from bombing memorial.