View Full Version : Should the Blazers leave OKC?

Patrick
11-29-2005, 12:54 PM
What do you guys think. If the Hornets stay, or if we get another NBA team, should the Blazers leave OKC? Or do you think we could support both? On opening night, the Blazers didn't have the attendance of the past, but they did have around 7-8,000 folks....not bad, on the same night as a Hornets game. If the Blazers left OKC, we could focus solely on our NBA team. But, if the Blazers stayed, it would offer more sports offerings to the OKC market.

metro
11-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Without a doubt stay! People want diversity and options. Not every hockey fan is a basketball fan or will be and vice versa. If this city is going to progress we must have alternatives. What are others to do if the Hornets continue to sellout games; go home?? No keep them occupied with other downtown activities. Especially since the Hornets are not a done deal or even if/when we get a permanent team it may be years, the Blazers have been in and out of OKC for 20-30 years and are already permanent, not to mention one of the best minor league hockey teams ever, especially since the NHL has not got over its problems yet.

windowphobe
11-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Considering that typical Blazers attendance is in the 8000-plus range - last season's average was 8245 - this wasn't exactly a disaster for the icemen.

(Historical note: Peak year for the Blazers was 1993-94, with an average of 10,438 for the regular season.)

BDP
11-29-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't think they should move. With the Hornets here they may fall down to more realistic CHL attendance numbers, but I don't see it doing any worse than that.

wallyboy75
11-30-2005, 12:58 AM
I think the Blazers should stay since that give another option of live sports in OKC metro.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
11-30-2005, 09:27 AM
It would be silly and asinine for Oklahoma City to lose/get rid of the Blazers. Let them stay in the convention center. If OKC is trying to become a "big league" city, then it should keep as many teams as it can, whether or not they are major or minor league. Most major metropololises have at least 3 or 4 teams, and not all of them are major league teams.

Dave Cook
12-09-2005, 02:55 AM
Quite possibly the dumbest topic thread ever.

Stay.

Rifleman2C
04-07-2007, 11:38 AM
And why would the Blazers leave? Where else in the CHL do you get over 7,000 fans per night?

Certainly not Amarillo or Corpus Christi, Texas...

mranderson
04-07-2007, 01:32 PM
When we get an NHL franchise, then, yes. The Blazers should leave. The team should give the Oklahoma City NHL ownership group the rights to the name Blazers, however move the current Blazers to Lawton.

Nixon7
04-07-2007, 02:19 PM
The NHL isn't coming for a looong time...the chl will be here though.

Rifleman2C
04-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Agreed... since the NHL's expansion has ground to a halt, and Pittsburgh has a wiining team this season (and Kansas City was always the front runner for any relocations of that team, anyway), let's just continue to develop and support the good thing we already have instead of insisting that the grass is greener in the NHL department.

Now, I'm all for the NHL in OKC... but just not yet. Let's see how the Sonics do (if they get the chance) in the NBA... that'll be a good litmus test for pro sports in OKC.

chrisok
04-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Don't know if anyone noticed, but the Blazers led all of North America in minor league hockey attendance again this year. Over 8,000 per game.

Nixon7
04-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I am all for the NHL too. I wonder what the population would have to rise to for us to get NBA/NHL.

mranderson
04-07-2007, 03:55 PM
I am all for the NHL too. I wonder what the population would have to rise to for us to get NBA/NHL.

We could handle it now.

kcsooner85
04-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Of course the Blazers should stay here in OKC! We need to continue to get out and support the Blazers and Redhawks. On a side note, I do find it kind of a shame that they at least don't show some of the Blazers or Redhawks games on Cox 7 or something. (I know they only Blazers games I ever see on Cox is when we play Tulsa.)

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Why did this thread rise up again? Was someone mad that they lost so badly Saturday? Of course the Bazers will stay, even if the NHL even tought of coming here (Which it won't for a long while).

Easy180
04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Of course the Blazers should stay here in OKC! We need to continue to get out and support the Blazers and Redhawks. On a side note, I do find it kind of a shame that they at least don't show some of the Blazers or Redhawks games on Cox 7 or something. (I know they only Blazers games I ever see on Cox is when we play Tulsa.)

They should be on more next year with the Hornets going bye bye

Dave Cook
04-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Forget the NHL....what would it take to move the Colorado Eagles into the Ford Center?

Millie
04-16-2007, 09:26 PM
About double the salary cap, according to Coach Sauter's comments in the postgame show...