View Full Version : New Mall

roboticbrad
11-28-2005, 04:20 PM
My aunt lives in norman and she said she heard about a new mall in norman thats going to be the 3rd largest mall. I looked everywhere for a news article about it, but i havent found one. Have you heard anything about this?

Patrick
11-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Might be an outdoor shopping village, but I doubt another indoor mall would be built in Norman. The market in Norman couldn't support two malls.

You could be thinking about a new shopping village/outdoor mall that's been proposed for the open land off Robinson, near the Westheimer Airport.

Luke
11-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Funny, I heard the same thing. But my assumption is that it's that village thing too.

BG918
11-28-2005, 10:13 PM
It's University North Park, and it's an outdoor shopping center anchored by a Super Target. It's not your typical shopping center though, it also is going to have a mix of office and residential space.

Luke
11-29-2005, 04:34 AM
Is there a master plan online? I'd be curious to see what this looks like.

metro
11-29-2005, 07:22 AM
You could be thinking about a new shopping village/outdoor mall that's been proposed for the open land off Robinson, near the Westheimer Airport.

This is correct. It will be more of a lifestyle center, indoor shopping is still a possibility for some of the area although I don't think designs are set yet. He is correct in that Super Target will be an anchor and it is already under construction, next time you are over that way, you will also notice that the old rifle range or the dirt mound is now gone.

BG918
11-30-2005, 06:22 PM
I haven't been able to find a master plan anywhere, but this is from the Norman City Council minutes about the project:

Mr. Carl Edwards, Managing Partner of Price, Edwards, and Company-Commercial Real Estate Services, provided a conceptual land use plan; an illustrative master plan; an aerial view of the retail district; a street level of the primary street; conceptual retail and office space around the Town Square; and proposed residential development to complement the retail center.

Sounds like something similar to Southlake Town Center in Southlake, Texas. A "town square" with retail/restaurants around where 24th Street makes its way through the property and residential (houses and apartments) all around it. I think some office space is included as well, maybe above the stores in the town square? I like to hope this is a well-done project but without seeing any plans or renderings I have my doubts...

autoMATTic
12-17-2005, 01:09 PM
I've never understood why they have to re-create "town squares" in cities like Norman that already have real ones. I guess putting a Super Target in downtown Norman could be tough...

davido
12-17-2005, 02:19 PM
I wondered what all that dirt work was. I wonder if it is going to be like that outlet mall in gainesville tx.

dirtrider73068
12-17-2005, 04:29 PM
This is correct. It will be more of a lifestyle center, indoor shopping is still a possibility for some of the area although I don't think designs are set yet. He is correct in that Super Target will be an anchor and it is already under construction, next time you are over that way, you will also notice that the old rifle range or the dirt mound is now gone.

That rifle dirt mound is still there, I see it everyday. Though they have broke ground couple months ago on the site and have been doing a bunch of gradeing and things to get ready for building. From my understanding of the first article about this they are going to sift some of the dirt mound to save what artifacts they may find and put them in a museum and they are supose to erect a monument/plaque on site that has the history info of that land space. Last I have read they were haveing conflicts cause of the old capped oil well. They were going to do some ground test asnd some air test to make sure it was not releaseing some methane. Target reps were saying if they have to they will put up breather lines next to the building so as if there is still methane or gases in the capped well, they could be let out and not let pressure build up. One thing I am wondering is if htey ground was a well wouldn't there be a big pocket of open underground. Wouldn't be a case for a cave in? I guess they have already planned for this I am sure. I haven't seen any design plans, just read what I have seen in the paper. If there is a search done on the paper reports something might be found or look on city of norman's website maybe they have something listed about it.