View Full Version : Centennial idea

downtownguy
11-27-2005, 09:08 AM
After watching the Macy's parade, I wondered why we're not going all the way on getting a national image out for Oklahoma on its 100th birthday. There's still time, I think, to take the one step that I've yet to hear anyone venture out on...

It may seem impossible... but it's not.

A movie. A wide release movie that hits theaters across the country. Of course, it can't be something corny. It can't be a remake of "Oklahoma." It's got to fit in with what today's audiences are looking for.

Think about some of the biggest critical hits the past few years: "Ray." "Walk the Line."

Now, who is widely held up as one of the best representations of Sooner pride, someone whose life story was pretty incredible?

Will Rogers. I'll let someone far more qualified than I take up this argument and explain why his life story is so perfect for the big screen, and why it's time to retell his story to today's generation.

It's time. With Grey Frederickson and others in state, and maybe some help from EK Gaylord II's movie studio, is it really such an impossible idea?

Get a good script writer, convince Frederickson and his young charges that this is the opportunity to make something great, something that can pay off big dividends for their state, and then present a plan to Gaylord's studio that suggests that maybe this can make money and draw in crowds, and if not, it would still be a great service to his state.

Don't make it a musical. You get the right star, and the humor and drama and adventure will make it all very appealing to today's audiences. Will Rogers was the epitome of a great Oklahoman. What a better way to let the world know who we are, even today.

Curt
11-27-2005, 06:31 PM
For what it's worth from a damn yankee, it sounds like a good idea to me.

windowphobe
11-27-2005, 07:54 PM
And after all, it's been over 50 years since the last one - The Story of Will Rogers, directed by Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) - which actually starred Will Jr. as his father.

soonerguru
11-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Jim Thorpe would make a great story.

Wiley Post.

Woody Guthrie.

jbrown84
11-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Yeah Jim Thorpe would be although Will Rogers is probably a more famous name. Problem with doing the Will Rogers story is that I don't think very much of it would actually take place in Oklahoma.

A Trail of Tears movie might showcase Oklahoma more (and parts of the state that people don't know about--mountains, hills, trees).

downtownguy
11-27-2005, 10:30 PM
think again on Will's Oklahoma roots... the 101 ranch, his involvement in politics, his friendship with Wiley Post....

metro
11-28-2005, 07:12 AM
Its a good idea but it would be a stretch to get it done on time. I work for a movie studio. You would have to have a script and start casting right now to get production and post production done on time for a centennial release. It could be a good idea as far as a Will Roger's movie (Ray style).