View Full Version : GM Closure Impact?

dcsooner
11-21-2005, 02:17 PM
What it any impact will the GM closure have on Hornet season ticket sales?

No Impact
Minimal Impact
Major Impact
Catastrophic Impact

Patrick
11-21-2005, 02:33 PM
I doubt it will have any impact. 2,000 workers isn't a lot when you're talking about over a million people in the metro area. GM workers weren't the ones putting up the big bucks anyways.

Curt
11-21-2005, 03:11 PM
I doubt it will have any impact. 2,000 workers isn't a lot when you're talking about over a million people in the metro area. GM workers weren't the ones putting up the big bucks anyways.
One thing you have to remember though is that those 2000 people spent there money elsewhere to give the other people money to go out and buy tickets..and all the other extras that make life fun..closings like this dont just affect those people it all trickles down to everyone..so those 2000 people losing their jobs could affect many more thousands.

windowphobe
11-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Since the plant is being idled, the workers will draw somewhat-reduced pay even after the line is shut down, probably until the end of the current UAW contract.

There are indeed a lot of automotive suppliers in this state. (We make a heck of a lot of tires, for one thing.)

BDP
11-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Minimal impact. Yes, there will be an affect, but much of it will be absorbed elsewhere. Those that don't leave will get other jobs and patronize the same places. So the base impact will eventaully be less than 2k, which is not a large part of the work force.

It is not something that will show up on the Hornets radar.

plmccordj
11-22-2005, 03:50 AM
Can we put the blame where it belongs? The oil and gas industry's insistance on the more than 100% increase in fuel prices has caused virtually every industry in America to have to raise their prices. Since GM in Oklahoma City manufactures SUV's they are a direct impact of the price gouging that we are experience.

We have listened to one excuse after another and and have had to endure lies and more lies. Does anyone besides maybe a journalist really believe it has anything to do with Iraq or the hurricane? Where is the outrage with being run over by the fuel companies? Why do we have to endure the apologists here that say "We are still not as expensive as Europe?" What kind of logic is this? So it is ok to rip people off just because Europe is doing it? Our whole economy is affected when a necessary resource is suddenly raised more than 100%. This is not a Democrat vs. Republican thing. This is the American public being kicked during the time of war and crisis. Our oil companies boasting record profits at the expense of our whole economy suffering.

Am I the only one who is outraged? For the record, I am a conservative.

Thanks,
Paul

plmccordj
11-22-2005, 03:54 AM
I guess the website automatically adds a link to your posts when you type Democrat or Republican becase I did not add those links.

Curt
11-22-2005, 04:35 AM
Can we put the blame where it belongs? The oil and gas industry's insistance on the more than 100% increase in fuel prices has caused virtually every industry in America to have to raise their prices. Since GM in Oklahoma City manufactures SUV's they are a direct impact of the price gouging that we are experience.

We have listened to one excuse after another and and have had to endure lies and more lies. Does anyone besides maybe a journalist really believe it has anything to do with Iraq or the hurricane? Where is the outrage with being run over by the fuel companies? Why do we have to endure the apologists here that say "We are still not as expensive as Europe?" What kind of logic is this? So it is ok to rip people off just because Europe is doing it? Our whole economy is affected when a necessary resource is suddenly raised more than 100%. This is not a Democrat vs. Republican thing. This is the American public being kicked during the time of war and crisis. Our oil companies boasting record profits at the expense of our whole economy suffering.

Am I the only one who is outraged? For the record, I am a conservative.

Thanks,
Paul
No your not the only one who is outraged but the few of us that are is not enough to do any good because there are way too many people who would rather sit on their butt and do nothing about it..but rather just accept it and have an "Oh Well" attitude..it's the same with anything else as things get worse people just cave in and dont try to change it.

windowphobe
11-22-2005, 05:12 PM
The reason we're "not as expensive as Europe" is simply that Europe slaps huge taxes on fuelstuffs. (Diesel is taxed at a lower rate, which is why diesels are so popular on the Continent.)

And however much the oil companies are making, government (Federal and state) is making a whole lot more, even on our lower-than-European taxes.

For you math majors: A 42-gallon barrel of crude costs around $60. This will produce almost, but not quite, 42 gallons of gasoline, not including additives and such. Already you're looking at a buck-forty. Add thirty-odd cents in taxes, and how much markup can there be if they're selling it for $1.85?

Yes, I remember three-dollar gas. (Never bought any, though I hit the $2.90 range a couple of times; timing is everything.) Didn't last long, did it?

Curt
12-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Minimal impact. Yes, there will be an affect, but much of it will be absorbed elsewhere. Those that don't leave will get other jobs and patronize the same places. So the base impact will eventaully be less than 2k, which is not a large part of the work force.

It is not something that will show up on the Hornets radar.
I realize this thread is a bit old, but here is some information I came across today that shows how big of an impact just one automotive related job loss can have. One auto worker's job affects 9.4 other non related jobs. So yah these people may find jobs, but they wont make the money they are making now and therefore wont be spending it on the things they used to.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2005512090446