View Full Version : Foster parents must go smokeless inside home.

Keith
09-22-2004, 02:43 PM
I think this is an excellent rule, seeing that we need to do all we can to protect children from second hand smoke. Foster parents are suppose to provide a safe and healthy environment for foster children to live in.

By Kirsten McIntyre
News 9

Beginning October 1st, foster parents can no longer smoke around their children that means in their homes and in their vehicles.

One foster parent I talked to agrees with the new rule despite the fact, she smokes.

There's never a dull moment at Andree Reutlinger's home. She's been a foster parent now for almost five years.

And to a place she never expected.

At 57, Andree is a parent again. She's adopted two of her foster children, 2-year-old Cody and 5-year-old TJ.

But Andree admits she handles the stress of raising five children by smoking cigarettes.

Which is why George Johnson says the new no smoking policy is in place.

Meanwhile, for Andree, the new rule will have no impact on her family. Already, she steps outside, away from her children, before lighting up.

Andree says she's concerned some people won't want to be foster parents because of this new policy, even though there's a desperate need for more of them.

DHS Spokesperson George Johnson tells us they'll enforce the new policy by asking children questions during their monthly visits.

Joe Schmoe
09-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Yeah, you're right. As part of the foster parent program, they need to fullfil any requirements that the State sets for them. This is an unbelievably tough job, dealing with someone else's problem kids is not a job I would want.

So, I send kudos for anyone who is willing to be a foster parent. Even the ones who smoke... just keep from the kids.

I'd like to see more legislation to help foster parents, rather than more restrictions, even though this is one I agree with.

Patrick
09-22-2004, 07:17 PM
I second that. These foster kids have been through enough. The last thing they need is to be exposed to second hand smoke.

Midtowner
09-29-2004, 06:36 AM
I concur.

However, Joe is right. We need more to help these people and less to make their jobs tougher. I hope that this doesn't get any foster parents to quit their jobs.