View Full Version : Asian District updates

metro
11-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Asian Business District united by leadership

By Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

Monthly meetings in the basement of a northwest Oklahoma City church have all the makings of a culture clash.
Instead, people with competing interests and from vastly different backgrounds work through disagreements.

Oklahoma City's Asian Business District is a mixture of Asian and non-Asian-owned businesses along Classen Boulevard between NW 23 and NW 30. The area is growing, and Ward 2 Councilman Sam Bowman credits the leadership of the business district for its success.

Tuan Khuu, president of the Asian Business District, said the group's strategy is to unite district members.

"Already we do have to overcome the fact that the name is the Asian Business District," Khuu said. "We don't want people to feel excluded. It's an Asian district, but it encompasses both Asian businesses and non-Asian businesses and residents."

Listen first, talk second
Bowman started the group, hoping it would give the area a unified voice when dealing with the city.

He met with Ann Cong-Tang, owner of Kamp's Market, and Scott Keneda, pastor of Wesley United Methodist Church, over coffee at Kamp's deli. Bowman got more than he expected.

Keneda offered the church's basement as a home for the meetings. The church, 1401 NW 25, is near the district's center. Keneda earned so much respect from the group, he was elected as its only non-Asian officer. Khuu, an attorney with two offices in the district, was elected the group's president.

City planner Bob Mier, who has worked with the group since it began, said Khuu and Keneda listen.

"They wanted to emphasize inclusion. They wanted everyone involved," Mier said.

There were initial concerns from some residents that their interests would be overrun by the growing business development, Khuu said. Khuu also credits the city for its leadership. Bowman started the group and still attends meetings.

Mier is a direct link with city staff. He offers advice on how the group should proceed with its plans -- which city departments need to be contacted, what concerns need to be addressed for something to move forward.

Distinctly Asian, clearly American
Bowman cited a decision to identify the area with street signs as a good example of why the group works.

When members of the group met to discuss the issue, they talked about using Asian languages on the signs. Many cities with Asian districts have up to three languages on their signs, and Bowman said he expected Oklahoma City's Asian business owners would want the same. But the district's prominent red and white signs are printed only in English.

The group is starting a membership drive next month, and members decided to pair up, with one Asian and one non-Asian member going door-to-door on each block. Keneda calls the district, "distinctly Asian, but also clearly American."

The group is working on several projects with the city. Jan Moore and the Japanese American Society of Oklahoma City are planning a Japanese Garden in Military Park. Members are donating the time and the expertise to build and maintain the garden.

Vinh Nguyen, chairman of the Vietnamese American Community of Oklahoma City, is working with veterans groups to put a Vietnam War memorial in the park. Nguyen was a lieutenant colonel in the Republic of Vietnam army and fled from the country as American troops withdrew and communists advanced on Saigon.

Nguyen said the plan is still in its early stages, but he hopes to get city approval for the project and begin raising money soon.

The Asian Business District is the link between the city and those who want these projects to happen.

"One of the things that had been lacking was a strong sense of community in this area," Keneda said. "We are all tied together and the success of the community strengthens everyone."

metro
03-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Look for more improvements to the Asian District soon!!!

http://newsok.com/article/1800279/

John
03-29-2006, 01:34 PM
I love the signage and hope for a large 'statement' arch at the entryway.

metro
05-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Just wanted to send the latest round of updates coming out of the Asian District. Did anyone catch the article in the MidCity Advocate a few weeks back about the church on around 30th and Classen is being torn down. It was most recently Purgatory night club and has had its stint as several underground nightclubs for some time. This eyesore is being torn down and is being replaced with an upscale Asian inspired shopping center. Similar to the other architecture in the area such as the Bank or the Cao Nguyen Asian Market.

http://www.asiandistrictokc.com/

BDP
05-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Ar ethey selling those chandaliers from the church. Those things were cool. Too bad no one was able to turn it into something nice or work with the architecture of it.

escan
05-09-2006, 02:52 PM
I remember Infinity about a billion years ago. I don't even go to church, but it always seemed just a bit sacreligious (especially when named Purgatory!) :)

metro
06-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Several buildings have been torn down in the area in the last few weeks. A streetscape project is fixing to start to make the area a regional destination. New streetlights, crosswalks, sidewalks, resurfacing the streets, and more will be done. Additionally the City is in the planning stages of possibly creating a gateway arch, or some type of icon in the median. These improvements are being funded by a 2000 bond issue as well as private donations.

floater
06-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Just wanted to send the latest round of updates coming out of the Asian District. Did anyone catch the article in the MidCity Advocate a few weeks back about the church on around 30th and Classen is being torn down. It was most recently Purgatory night club and has had its stint as several underground nightclubs for some time. This eyesore is being torn down and is being replaced with an upscale Asian inspired shopping center. Similar to the other architecture in the area such as the Bank or the Cao Nguyen Asian Market.

http://www.asiandistrictokc.com/

I'm feeling bittersweet about this. Sure, it's an eyesore, but dozens of younger adults in the city have memories of that building as a club. You don't find too many buildings like that, and it would have many an interesting location for some business -- studio, restaurant, religious store.

Anyway, it's good to hear a new development will be replacing it. It's not the same thing as the cleared land on the east side of Classen around 30th is it?

BDP
06-22-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm with floater. It could use some work, but I can pretty much guess that a strip mall will not be any less of an eyesore that the church is. That thing is very cool on the inside. It just needs a little work. With some landscaping and fresh paint, it would be viewed as a historic building. We don't have many gothic churches in the city. I hate the red paint that's on the trim now, but it certainly is not nearly as ugly as the strip malls that surround it.

But, that's Oklahoma. "Progress" here always seems to start with destruction. That why most of it is just srip malls from the last 20-30 years or so.

metro
06-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Well furthermore I was at an event last night where some key leaders of the Asian District spoke, as well as I'm pretty tuned into the area. It is not just a "strip mall" replacing the old church. I agree it does have historic value and potential but has been a slum for many years now. It will be a plaza with Asian design (much needed in an Asian district). As you know not too many of the buildings in the area actually have an Asian design unlike cities such as San Francisco or New York. OKC's Asian district (named so to be inclusive of all Asian decents unlike larger cities [Little Saigon] etc. ) is already becoming a regional attraction. Our Asian district is the largest in the region and the Cao Nguyen grocery store is the largest Asian grocery store in the MidWest and Southwest. I look forward to the day the streetscaping, the new plazas and buildings, the gateway arch, and more are in place. The bad news is these plans are 5-10 years away for the most part. But at least some progress is underway now!

floater
06-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Well furthermore I was at an event last night where some key leaders of the Asian District spoke, as well as I'm pretty tuned into the area. It is not just a "strip mall" replacing the old church. I agree it does have historic value and potential but has been a slum for many years now. It will be a plaza with Asian design (much needed in an Asian district). As you know not too many of the buildings in the area actually have an Asian design unlike cities such as San Francisco or New York. OKC's Asian district (named so to be inclusive of all Asian decents unlike larger cities [Little Saigon] etc. ) is already becoming a regional attraction. Our Asian district is the largest in the region and the Cao Nguyen grocery store is the largest Asian grocery store in the MidWest and Southwest. I look forward to the day the streetscaping, the new plazas and buildings, the gateway arch, and more are in place. The bad news is these plans are 5-10 years away for the most part. But at least some progress is underway now!

What about the Military Park conversion? I thought that was going to be the site for a plaza and performing arts space.

BDP
06-23-2006, 01:59 PM
I agree it does have historic value and potential but has been a slum for many years now.

Which is why it is sad to see it go. There are many places up and down classen that have no historic or architectural value and filled. And, further still, there are probably a couple that are both slums and have no aesthetic value. Think of what a cool restaurant or store that place would make… Of course, the developer can probably make 10 times as much with a strip mall or plaza with several locations in it.

As you know not too many of the buildings in the area actually have an Asian design unlike cities such as San Francisco or New York.

But I don't see that as a liability per se. It will never look like SF or NYC Chinatowns, or even LA's Chinatown, no matter how many Asian looking facades are placed on strip malls or plazas. But I do think it has the potential of being a very cool and unique Chinatown that blends both the Asian and local heritages. I actually think that would be a reason for people to visit even if they have been to the Chinatown or Asian district of a major US city.

I look forward to the day the streetscaping, the new plazas and buildings, the gateway arch, and more are in place.

Me too. But looking at the district I don't see the need to lose anything in the process. I think the public accents to define, brand, and link the district together are great. I just hope that current assets can be saved as it developed, just like the dome was. It would be so great show people this vibrant Asian district that also has a lot of local character as well. I think that would both define and differentiate our Asian district and increase its appeal and visibility regionally and maybe even nationally.

jbrown84
06-23-2006, 04:35 PM
At least it's not being replaced with a Walgreens.

goinhikin
06-24-2006, 04:24 PM
From what I've heard the Japanese / America Society has acquired the remnants of the Japanese Garden that was housed at the Omniplex. With the help of the OKC parks department they will be installing it in Military Park. I don't know the timetable.

Luke
06-24-2006, 07:51 PM
That's cool.

jbrown84
06-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Why did the Omniplex no longer want it?

This will be a better location for it for sure.

goinhikin
06-29-2006, 12:28 PM
From what I've heard the Omniplex is becoming less "eclectic" and more focused on science. They will contiune to have art and history, but only as it relates to science.

Dave Cook
07-01-2006, 11:36 PM
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Please tell me they aren't tearing down the Bowery Club! So many memories.

First concert I ever attended was the James Brown show there around '83.

To be honest...I hate to the Asian district get a facelift. It'll will probably end up looking more American than Asian. I mean....there are quite a few dumps around here in Phnom Penh that remind me of 23rd street.

metro
07-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Anybody catch this in today's Business section?

http://newsok.com/business/main/

By Steve Lackmeyer
The intersection of NW 23 and Classen long has been identified as the entry to Oklahoma City’s Asian district, but until now, that gateway has been dominated by a very unethnic-looking CVS Drugstore. Developer Mike Nguyen is hoping to change that view by sandwiching the drugstore with two new shopping centers designed by architect Rob Elliott, whose previous work includes the district’s Super Cao grocery.
Nguyen’s developments include a pagoda and Asian-style information kiosk, and are expected to draw even more Asian-owned businesses to the district. The projects coincide with ongoing planning for a $1.25 million streetscape project — on Classen and on NW 25 from Western to McKinley Avenue — the planners promise will represent the area’s Asian- inspired architecture.

"Most of our staff sees this (Nguyen’s development) as the kind of major project we’ve been looking for," Assistant City Planner John Calhoun said. "It’s what we’ve been looking for for several years as part the Asian district."

ùNguyen said planning for the $3 million development has been under way for more than three years, and construction should begin next month. The project will include Asian zodiac sculptures around one plaza and yin-yang pavers in the outdoor pagoda.

"We’re just hoping with what is going on here and what we’re creating we’ll generate even more traffic," Nguyen said.

ùNguyen is one of thousands of immigrants from Vietnam. He arrived in Oklahoma City in 1980 when he was 16. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Oklahoma City’s Vietnamese population was the country’s 19th largest with an estimated 10,000 members. The projects being planned by Nguyen and his partners are among about a half dozen now on drawing boards.

"We’re really proud of what we’ve been doing here," Nguyen said. "We realize money grows money. So we had to reinvest, and the best way to do that is through real estate. We realize in real estate, we really can’t lose."

Signs promoting competing projects along Classen developments include the $1.5 million Lotus Square, planned for NW 29 and Classen. Developer Vicki Hau reports the 14,000-square-foot shopping center is already 60 percent leased, with tenants including a Thai restaurant, beauty and nail salon and insurance agent.

Hua expects the development will open later this year.

Nguyen’s developments will replace properties built in the past 40 years that were mostly vacant. One remaining tenant at NW 23 and Western — Rent-a-Center — is in talks to move into the new 28,000-square-foot Sun Moon Plaza that will take its place.

The second shopping center, to be built at NW 26 and Classen, will be an L-shaped 14,000-square-foot plaza to be named Sun Moon Court. Beyond providing shopping and dining choices for locals, Nguyen said he wants to draw customers from surrounding states.

"We hope that people in Arkansas, Kansas and Texas, there are a lot of Asians — Vietnamese, Chinese — that this would be the closest place for them to come," Nguyen said. "Hopefully this will be a prime location for them."

jbrown84
07-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah I saw that article. Sounds like this project will add a lot to the area.

BDP
07-27-2006, 09:49 AM
It really is great to see the local business people reinvest so much into the area. I think that helps bring pride and care to the projects. With CVS being the focal point of that corner, anything slightly Asian is going to be more appropriate.

I do hope, though, that long term, some of the older buildings that represent the original architecture the area can also be saved and renovated appropriately for the district.

HOT ROD
07-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Excellent news!! :)

metro
05-03-2007, 01:36 PM
DOWNTOWN UPDATE
Planning continues on shopping center
Staff Reports
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, April 4, 2007
Edition: CITY, Section: BUSINESS, Page 2B
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two Asian-theme shopping centers planned near Classen Boulevard and NW 25 are behind schedule but are scheduled to be under construction this summer.

Rob Elliott, architect for developer Mike Nguyen's Sun Moon Plaza and Court said Tuesday a building permit is pending for the court project at Classen and NW 25.

He said a permit will also be filed within weeks for the plaza project at NW 23 and Western.

Elliott, whose previous work in the area includes the Asian district's Super Cao grocery, designed both of Nguyen's projects to fit into the district's Far East style.

Features will include an Asian style information kiosk and an outdoor pagoda with zodiac sculptures.

Nguyen and Elliott originally intended for construction to start by last fall.

okclee
05-03-2007, 02:29 PM
I love what is going on in the Asian district. I would like to see more done to promote this area. Many of my relatives that live out of state are pleasantly surprised at what Okc has to offer in this area.

BG918
05-03-2007, 02:55 PM
I would hope that future designs in this area place parking behind their buildings and front the sidewalk and street. If they want to make it into a destination they should encourage people to stroll the streets, and you can't do that with parking lots in front of the buildings.

Doug Loudenback
05-04-2007, 07:05 AM
For those interested, I did a blog post on the Asian District awhile back ... Doug Dawgz Blog: Asian District Today ... The Pics (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2006/10/asian-district-today-pics.html) ...

Metro, do you know if the permit mentioned for the "NW 2rd & Western" project is this one, the Sun Moon Plaza, which is not really at Western but is a little east of Western? I'm anxious to see this one get started ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/asian/asian05a.jpg

metro
05-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Yes, the Sun Moon Plaza will anchor that corner on 23rd and Western, where the old boarded up Chinese restaurant currently is. I'm told construction will start by this summer on both of these projects. I'm glad to see people using more Oriental designs in the Asian District. Only if Walgreens and CVS would have the district would have already had a whole other feel. I'm glad to see the Nguyen's behind this project. You know it will be good just like there newer Super Cao Nguyen asian market.

BG918
05-05-2007, 03:20 PM
^ Maybe CVS will close and that great location right there at the NE corner of 23rd and Classen will be redeveloped into something a) more urban and b) Asian in design. That would be a perfect location for some kind of mixed-use housing right at the "entrance" to the district.

OKC PATROL
05-06-2007, 05:12 AM
Ya- Being a grad from OCU- I have seen so many improvements that you really cant complain. But, I think the street signs are pathetic and were a waste of money. They are very cheesy. No arch or anything that was expected happened. Time will tell.
Let the asians figure out their own community, it doesnt need a DISNEY/Okie approach to design. If some building is way wacky or has cheap looking architecture , then let the city decide. I would rather see it remain a bit dirty and have them add some store fronts with hanging ducks in the windows. Like all the other china towns in the world.

jbrown84
05-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I would prefer it not have a polished "Disney" feel as well.

HOT ROD
05-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Those "hanging ducks in the windows" are delicious!!

If you'd venture to try one, you'd discover why they're hanging - and not be so stereotypical!!!

I hope OKC does get more of those TRUE cantonese style restaurants!!! and the Asia District is the perfect location as it is - our Chinatown!!!

metro
08-16-2007, 07:44 AM
OKC Urban Design committee approves design for landmark gate in the Asian district

By Stefanie Brickman - 8/15/2007
OKC Business

At today’s monthly Urban Design meeting, board members approved the design for an ornamental gate in the Asian District, pending material presentation at the September meeting.

What architect Rob Elliott termed more landmark than functional gate, the structure would be built on the southeast to northeast corner of NW 25th and N. Military Ave. The landmark would arch over the street from behind the Little Saigon shopping center that houses the popular Lido restaurant to the parking lot of Super Cao Nguyen supermarket.

The 2000 bond issue which included money for an Asian District streetscape project along Classen Ave. did not include a plan for the NW 25 and Military Ave. intersection, nor does the 2007 bond plan.

Although the Urban Design committee approved the design, the City of Oklahoma City’s traffic and public works departments would also have to OK the gate’s plan as well.

Separately, the committee approved plans for a retaining wall as part of the project.

jbrown84
08-16-2007, 09:07 AM
I really wanted it to cross Classen. That doesn't sound like a very noticeable place.

metro
08-16-2007, 10:05 AM
jbrown, I could be wrong, but I believe there eventually will be one crossing Classen. I believe that is being paid for out of the 2007 bond plan and won't be implemented until around 2009. You may scroll back to the first page of this thread or do a search. I'm pretty sure those plans are somewhere on this site.

CrimsonOberon
08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
jbrown, I could be wrong, but I believe there eventually will be one crossing Classen. I believe that is being paid for out of the 2007 bond plan and won't be implemented until around 2009. You may scroll back to the first page of this thread or do a search. I'm pretty sure those plans are somewhere on this site.

I hope that's the case. A lot of people just drive down Classen, never stopping to explore the rest of the Asian District. Building them across Classen would make them substantially more visible to everyday OKC drivers.

HOT ROD
08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
I think another very simple thing the city could do, is use ornamental street lighting that is painted red. A good example of this is Vancouver's Chinatown. You know you are there not just because of the businesses and people, but because of the red streetlights (and there is a gate across Pender Street, the main drag). The red streetlights give the district character and promotes the use of asian theme in any building/business.

I think the same would do well in OKC;s Asia District. Certainly would allow for somewhat of an identity not to mention sprucing up of the neighbourhood - esp since some of you had a problem with the recent writeup in the NY Times (where he said the hood was very good for culture and eating but was 'run-down').

Besides, the red streetlamps (and sidewalks) would promote pedestrianism which would FURTHER enhance the appeal of the area. The red lamps alone would DEFINE the Asia District in a way MUCH BETTER than the 'english' signs that read Asian District. ..

SOONER8693
08-16-2007, 07:23 PM
My hats off to you Hot Rod, you sure have a lot of good ideas.

CrimsonOberon
08-16-2007, 07:42 PM
I agree.

Excellent ideas, Hot Rod.:congrats:

okclee
08-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Once again I nominate Hot Rod for the Mayor of Okc.

metro
08-16-2007, 09:35 PM
HOT ROD, I could be wrong, but I don't recall the NY Times review saying anything negative about OKC's Asian District.

jbrown84
08-17-2007, 11:56 AM
No he's right. It did mention that the area was very grungy essentially.

But isn't that the case with most Chinatowns?

dismayed
08-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Here's a picture of San Francisco's Chinatown when I was there earlier this year. Wouldn't it be great to see something like this in OKC?

Notice the original ornamental lighting.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/chinatown.jpg

metro
08-18-2007, 08:08 PM
dismayed, any recommendations for places to see in S.F's Chinatown? I'll be there in 2 weeks.

HOT ROD
08-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the support everyone. I wish I could be the mayor of OKC, but I will at least submit the aformentioned ideas to them.

I think there is a HUGE opportunity to develop synergy among OKC's inner city neighbourhoods. Not only will this be a HUGE boost to OKC's cosmopolitan cultural offerings but it will also be a boon for the inner city itself, as a new wave of cash coming in will assist those who most need it.

Its amazing, something as "simple" as painting the lightposts RED in the Asia District, could be the biggest contributor to the fabric and continued success of the neighbourhood. For once, OKC would finally have a neighbourhood that has an identity!!!

And RED is good luck in asian culture, so that would spill into the district and hopefully into OKC itself. I hope we could do these simple ideas quickly, especially before the NBA (and national attention) really arrives permanently!!!

Asia District should be yet another attraction for OKC! And the red light posts help identify it as such.

I will send this to the city and appreciate your contact to them as well.

metro
08-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Call me crazy, but I don't see any red lightposts in the S.F Chinatown picture above.

CrimsonOberon
08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't see any red lightposts in the S.F Chinatown picture above.

Hot Rod mentioned the red lightposts being in Vancouver's Chinatown, not San Francisco's.

metro
08-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Hot Rod mentioned the red lightposts being in Vancouver's Chinatown, not San Francisco's.

Actually Crimson, I was referring to dismayed's post with the picture. Here is his quote:

dismayed

Here's a picture of San Francisco's Chinatown when I was there earlier this year. Wouldn't it be great to see something like this in OKC?

Notice the original ornamental lighting.

Since dismayed posted the picture and stated San Francisco, I assumed it was San Francisco, thus my post.

SpectralMourning
08-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I figured dismayed was talking about the blue/green post on the far left. He only said it was original and ornamental. Pretty cool either way.

I think it'd be nice if OKC had direct relationships and trade with far-East countries. That make for interesting back offices if the headquarters were located in Beijing, hah.

John
08-20-2007, 05:18 PM
dismayed, any recommendations for places to see in S.F's Chinatown? I'll be there in 2 weeks.

Gotta eat at this place. Amazing food and a beautiful restaurant.

Empress of China

Empress of China (http://empressofchinasf.com/)

dismayed
08-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Spectral/Crimson/Hot Rod:

Yeah, in SF's Chinatown the light posts are cyan colored and have a little gold dragon wrapping itself around the top of the post. These are the colors of the "Azure Dragon" or the Dragon of the East. It's representative of the East in general.

Gold and red are traditional good luck colors. You see them a lot in Vietnamese culture, especially during wedding ceremonies and things like that.

I was fortunate enough to be there during the Chinese New Year, which is why the streets were so busy.

Metro:

Honestly, I couldn't tell you the names of any of the places I visited that day as I don't read Mandarin. :) Just wonder around and see where the day takes you. There are farmer's markets, a fish market, several Asian grocery stores, Asian DVD rental places, souvenir and t-shirt shops, etc.

I'd start out at Fisherman's Wharf and check that whole area out. Take the Red and White ferry out to the Golden Gate Bridge. It's $25 bucks, you get to see the bridge and Alcatraz up close from the bow of a boat. It lasts about an hour. When you get back there are some great places for a snack or lunch on the Wharf. Then I'd pay $5 and take a cable car ride up to Chinatown, and then wander around there for an hour or two. Then you can hike it over to Lombard Street (it's not far), the hilliest and crookedest street in the US. If you're feeling fit after that you could walk back towards the Wharf area (it's a looong way up and down those hills). Finally I'd recommend wrapping the day up at Ghirardelli Square. It's where Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory is. The best part is everyone who visits gets free samples.

metro
08-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks dismayed.