View Full Version : Pink Plates for DUI Culprits

PUGalicious
11-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Here's a great idea that I can agree with: According to the St. Petersburg Times (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FL_DUI_LICENSE_PLATES_FLOL-?SITE=FLPET&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT), a Republican senator in Florida wants a law to require bright pink license plates on vehicles driven by people convicted of DUI. > Read more (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FL_DUI_LICENSE_PLATES_FLOL-?SITE=FLPET&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

(Unfortunately for those members who want to see the whole article, I could not include the text here due to the copyright restrictions: "© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.")

Faith
11-17-2005, 12:13 PM
I agree with this as well as long as it had a time limit to it.

Karried
11-17-2005, 12:25 PM
I think they need to be bright jail cell orange..

sweetdaisy
11-17-2005, 12:44 PM
While I'm sure this is an appealing notion to folks, I think it's a really terrible idea. As the cousel from the ACLU in Florida states, it opens people to both punishment and ridicule, and it's inappropriate.

I think most people think of really drunk people swerving all over the road when they think of someone with a DUI. Remember, the legal limit is now 0.08, which could mean 1 drink to some folks. Anyone that has ever gone out for 1 drink after work with a friend or at dinner, etc. has the potential to end up with a pink license plate with the letters DUI at the beginning? Hmmm...I just don't think it's right.

The shame of 1) receiving the ticket, 2) going to court, 3) paying the fine, 4) doing the community service, 5) spending time in jail (even if brief), 6) paying the legal fees is bad enough. Notifying everyone on earth about it? That ranks up there with the "Scarlet Letter". Letting everyone else judge someone who made an error. That's just wrong.

I could see it being more feasible for repeat offenders.

PUGalicious
11-17-2005, 12:44 PM
I like that idea too!

PUGalicious
11-17-2005, 12:47 PM
I could see it being more feasible for repeat offenders.
I would support that idea too, starting with the second offense.

MadMonk
11-17-2005, 01:19 PM
I would support that idea too, starting with the second offense.
Ditto. The first time they get to pay their debt to society in relative anonymity (its still a matter of public record after all). After that they're becoming a public nuisance and deserve a little ridicule.

Good idea. Pink could be confused with the breast cancer tags I've seen around.

Faith
11-17-2005, 01:26 PM
I think it would probably be best for second offenders as well. We have a system that notifies the public of sexual offenders so why not have the same type of system to warn us of possible dangerous drivers that travel on the same roads as we do with our families.

dirtrider73068
11-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Its should be 3 strikes your out, how many people have been caught at least two times and then not do it anymore. The tags I agree but disagree like it was stated that just wrong and sets that person for embarrasment. How would like to have soemthing done to like that and have your friends or people ridacule your for punishment.

escan
11-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Perhaps we should start having bright green tags for those who speed too much...maybe red ones for people who get parking tickets.....

What color should we use for people who don't buckle their seat belts repeatedly?

I understand the premise, but we can't just slap a label on every person who has ever committed a crime....it just isn't right.

Karried
11-17-2005, 02:29 PM
What color should we use for people who don't buckle their seat belts repeatedly?

That one would have to be Bright Red - like the color of their face after it goes out and comes back through the windshield.

Regarding the license plates - I think a second time offender is the best idea.

I don't necessarily agree with labeling offenders either but if it prevented someone from getting hurt or killed by a repeat drunk driving offender then I'm all for it.

There are times when the person committing crimes gets more compassion than the victims or families of victimes.

PUGalicious
11-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Perhaps we should start having bright green tags for those who speed too much...maybe red ones for people who get parking tickets.....

I understand the premise, but we can't just slap a label on every person who has ever committed a crime....it just isn't right.
I don't have a problem slapping a label on every repeat offenders. However, I've not seen too many deaths resulting from parking violations.

sweetdaisy
11-17-2005, 02:49 PM
How about those who cause wrecks and injury because they're on their cell phones? What color would their license plates be? Oh, that's right. Even though studies have shown they are just as dangerous as drunk drivers, it's not illegal everywhere.

I do believe there is a major problem with drinking & driving in the U.S. I think it's great that states are lowering intoxication levels and stepping up punishments for offenders. However, I do believe this proposed law is extreme.

Punishment for a crime should be left to the judicial system. Unfortunately, our judicial system fails sometimes...same would go even if the license plates were instated. Some repeat offenders would not end up with the plates, some people who don't deserve this severe punishment would.

Huh...I wonder if license plate theft would go up? Who would willingly drive around with that plate on their car? I wonder if they'd be inclined to snatch it off and find something else to put on there.

In addition, there's another piece of this law that doesn't sit well with me. The possibility that these folks should be able to be pulled over for no reason...just because they have a DUI plate. So add constant harassment by law enforcement to the list of "punishments"...it seems a little overboard to me.

dirtrider73068
11-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Well I do know for repeaters here in oklahoma they install a breathalizer in the car and the operator has to breath in it for it to start if its over a set limit, car won't start. I know my aunt has one on hers. Those should used more often then just fineing people and giveing them jail time.

sweetdaisy
11-17-2005, 02:57 PM
I completely agree, dirtrider. I think the breathalyzer in the car is brilliant. THAT is something I could support.

dirtrider73068
11-17-2005, 02:59 PM
And she only offened twice like what was metioned. I think it would be great to see a drunk trying to start there car with one on it. Would force them to walk home or sober up, thats fro sure.

Karried
11-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Oh Lordy Dirtrider - :cheersmf:
I hope your aunt won't be visiting this board anytime soon! :LolLolLol

dirtrider73068
11-17-2005, 03:02 PM
No she won't she is not very bright at all, in actuallity she is dumbfounded about everything, she has to have stuff done for her cause she can't do it on her own, but that can be only thanked to her previous husband, he done everythign and wouldn't let her do stuff on her own. I kinda feel sorry for her cause she is a good aunt and cares for everybody. But she must learn from her mistakes.

rxis
11-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Nay for the labels.
Breathalyzers are hard to use but I still like the idea of using them more often. I tried using one it it determined that I was intoxicated. Those things are hard to use. Perhaps the technology has improved.

What is so hard about not driving after getting drunk?

Man I'd hate to share cars with a DUI offender. Having a plate would be worse. Can you imagine driving to high school with one of those or getting the heat from cops?

I heard about a woman on the radio who got caught taking a whiz by a trash can. She is supposedly a registered sex offender now.