View Full Version : Abraham's Onion Burgers downtown

metro
11-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Abraham's brings onion burgers to downtown

By Ja'Rena Lunsford
The Oklahoman

Abraham's onion burgers are back.
Exactly four months after he closed his doors on N Western Avenue, Abraham Essaili has fired up his grill once again with the opening of Abraham's Downtown Cafe, 1 N Hudson.

When Essaili sold his property to Chesapeake Energy Corp. in July he was looking forward to retiring. But retirement wasn't appealing enough to keep Essaili from the business he started 21 years ago.

"I missed the people; I missed the interaction," he said.

Essaili sent e-mails to former patrons saying he was coming out of retirement. He said a steady stream of familiar faces have filled his new location since the Monday opening.

Hank Meyer is one of many Abraham's customers who was eager to see the cafe reopen.

"I've always thought he had the best burger in town," said Meyer, finishing up a late lunch.

Essaili said customer comments, ranging from "We're glad to see you back" to "Finally," show how much the business was missed.

"Thank God for the good people wanting me back," he said. "Thank God for being wanted."

Customers were not the only ones excited for Abraham's return. Waitress Dawn Appleton said although she was surprised when Essaili said he was reopening, she was ready to get back to work.

"I came running," Appleton said.

The first few days at the new location have been a mixture of welcoming back old friends and relearning old skills.

Although Appleton spent more than a year on her feet at Abraham's Western Cafe before it closed, her first days back at work did not come without some pain. "My feet hurt so bad the first two days," she said.

The Abraham's crew also is learning to navigate in a 2,500-square-foot workplace, more than twice the size of the previous location. "Sometimes I feel lost because it's so big," Appleton said.

Essaili said he is finding it easy to adjust to his new downtown location, especially since so many of his longtime customers work downtown. "Ninety percent of my customers over there (at the Western location) were from downtown," he said.

Like Appleton, Essaili said he was a little rusty the first day of business. But that is in the past.

"Truly today I finally got my skills back," he said. "Today nobody waited."

BDP
11-17-2005, 11:48 AM
yummy

HOT ROD
11-17-2005, 11:46 PM
I am so happy about this influx of retail.

Many of you commented that you wanted more upscale. Well, if we cant get a Walgreens or CVS downtown, what makes you think we would get an upscale boutique right now?

They will come, and eateries and stores like this (abraham's) as well as the Cingular announcement, et al, add up and will work to generate a retail engine downtown. The critical mass will build, along with the residents and tourists (which are already there, IMO), and the specialty upscale retail will soon show up downtown.

There is nothing touristy about Abraham's or Cingular, they are there to serve the mainstream OKC - and you need that mainstream in downtown before you will get upscale! You need that critical mass and retail engine (not to mention population) before Walgreens will locate an urban store downtown, not to mention Nordstrom.

I must confess.

I wished for some type of downtown development announcement at least once a week. For the past several months, It seems like we are having a downtown renaissance announcement (of some sort) every other day!

We are seeing a wave of renaissance that might actually exceed the total invenstment in downtown OKC thus far. I hope the momentum continues, and I dont see it stopping.

CONTINUE THE RENAISSANCE!

metro
11-18-2005, 07:37 AM
makes you think we would get an upscale boutique right now?

They will come, and eateries and stores like this (abraham's) as well as the Cingular announcement, et al, add up and will work to generate a retail engine downtown. The critical mass will build, along with the residents and tourists (which are already there, IMO), and the specialty upscale retail will soon show up downtown.

Well, what makes me think that we will get upscale boutiques is that we already have 2 or 3 downtown with others already planned and announced and probably more to be announced in the next few months. Lest us not forget about Firefly, The Denim Bar, Lit Fashion, and some may consider Teena Hicks clothiers upscale although I don't know if you would call it a boutique

BDP
11-18-2005, 10:08 AM
IMO, the key is getting establishments like Abrahams and the stores metro mentioned to locate downtown. This creates an identity downtown and gives people a reason to leave their sleepy suburbs and big box reatail to go downtown to places they can not go to in their areas. In turn, some will be attracted to living by these places as opposed to living in "every suburb, u.s.a" that most of OKC offers. I think uniqueness, not sameness, is what will drive downtown growth, as well as residential occupancy. Dowtown will never be for everyone and it may in its best interest not to try.

HOT ROD
11-18-2005, 02:00 PM
what about the people that "dont live in the sleepy suburbs"?

why should inner city residents have to go to the suburbs to visit a Cingular Wireless store?

true, the pop outside of the inner loop is larger than that in the inner city - BUT those 280,000 people in the inner city need to have options inside the loop and not have to go to the sleepy suburbs just to get a cell phone.

In almost every big city I've been to (aside from OKC), a person has a choice of downtown or the suburbs for stuff. In OKC, the ONLY choice has been the suburbs until now.

I personally am shocked at the responses thus far. You all speak of desiring retail and national exposure - well, you getting it - and you still aren't happy???

I bet downtown Omaha has a Cingular Wireless store and they are happy to have it.

HOT ROD
11-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Well, what makes me think that we will get upscale boutiques is that we already have 2 or 3 downtown with others already planned and announced and probably more to be announced in the next few months. Lest us not forget about Firefly, The Denim Bar, Lit Fashion, and some may consider Teena Hicks clothiers upscale although I don't know if you would call it a boutique

METRO,

I was just in OKC in August and did not see any upscale retail in downtown other than Firefly, and it was empty.

sometimes, I think you all need to remember these key things:

1) not everybody lives in the suburbs nor wants to
2) inner city people dont really like to go to the suburbs to shop, they'd rather stay in town
3) tourists (like me) dont like to have to go to the suburbs to shop. We'd rather shop downtown and the inner city

In other words, you always have to think of the big picture. Isnt that what we always say when we start talking about getting an national anchor store downtown? Well, they aint coming until there is a critical mass downtown - and mainstream stores downtown will 1) give inner city residents the option to run errands downtown and 2) give tourists multiple reasons to spend $$ downtown.

When I was in OKC, my girlfriend and I spent over $1000 on retail purchases alone. Most of that was in the suburbs, because there was NOTHING downtown (although I did forget to take her to Firefly - because I thought it was closed as every time we were by there it was empty).

If there was stuff downtown, we would have easily out spent that! I mean, that's what we do when we travel - we SHOP! And we Patronize!

Oh, and I have a Cingular service so a store downtown probably would have meant some purchases there by me and my girlfriend.

You have to remember the big picture (which is NOT the sleepy suburbia perspective).

windowphobe
11-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Cingular doesn't own a store in downtown Omaha; I ran a search using a downtown address and the closest they came was more than six miles (7624 Dodge St.) away.

Authorized dealers are slightly closer, but only slightly. (And nothing in Council Bluffs, across the river, either.)

Patrick
11-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Nice to see they decided to move to downtown!

BDP
11-19-2005, 01:11 PM
I mean, that's what we do when we travel - we SHOP! And we Patronize!

You shop at Cingular stores when you travel????

My point is that you just seem to want stuff that is everywhere else to move downtown. I contend that this makes it so there is no reason to go downtown. There are unique shops downtown (see Metro's list) and imo that's what will bring people downtown and is what out-of-towners are looking for. Personally, i don't give a crap if every downtown has a Cingular store, as I'm never going to go to a phone shop in any other town that I visit.

But what defines the inner loop? I live below 39th. Is that the "inner loop"? There are cingular stores (plural) very close to me. I live there not becuase of Cingular stores, but because there is the biggest concentration of unique shops and resturants, unique neighborhoods, and it's not blighted by as many chains and big boxes. If that concentration moves downtown, that's where I'll go, but a Cingular or CVS give me no reason to make a change. If it taks the suburbs moving downtown to make people live there, I think a lot of the developers agree with you, so don't worry too much about it.

HOT ROD
11-19-2005, 01:17 PM
i might. I just bought a new $500.00+ SmartPhone in September.

Who knows, if OKC had the Cingular store downtown, I might have shopped there! I mean, I do have Cingular service.

HOT ROD
11-19-2005, 01:36 PM
You shop at Cingular stores when you travel????

I shop at a lot of places when I travel. I guess I have a large amount of disposable income (you must not). In fact, while I was in OKC (Aug 27 - Aug 30), I spent over $800.00 in hotel (downtown), over $600.00 in food, and $2500.00 shopping in your malls. On the road trip from Seattle, I did similar in Denver and Flagstaff; So, yes, I shop and spend at many places - as do many with a little cash. [that's just myself by the way, my girlfriend spent also - Im sure we lifted your economy when we were there]

My point is that you just seem to want stuff that is everywhere else to move downtown. I contend that this makes it so there is no reason to go downtown. There are unique shops downtown (see Metro's list) and imo that's what will bring people downtown and is what out-of-towners are looking for.

We were there and I didnt see anything! We saw lots, fields, and blight everywhere downtown except the new Bricktown areas and the four blocks surrounding our hotel. And in those areas, there was NO RETAIL (or it was hidden). We walked and tried to find it, I was embarrassed that such a big city was ... EMPTY.

Personally, i don't give a crap if every downtown has a Cingular store, as I'm never going to go to a phone shop in any other town that I visit.

Suite yourself. But that might not bode for everyone.

One question, Is downtown OKC active right now? I say NO, because there are no "common stores." OKC is not a resort city, so it needs to have what other downtowns have and not be so unique as you put it. Your numbers already prove the unique theory DOES NOT WORK!

But what defines the inner loop? I live below 39th. Is that the "inner loop"? There are cingular stores (plural) very close to me. I live there not becuase of Cingular stores, but because there is the biggest concentration of unique shops and resturants, unique neighborhoods, and it's not blighted by as many chains and big boxes. If that concentration moves downtown, that's where I'll go, but a Cingular or CVS give me no reason to make a change. If it taks the suburbs moving downtown to make people live there, I think a lot of the developers agree with you, so don't worry too much about it.

You must have recently moved to OKC. Most of us long time OKCers know the inner loop is the inner city areas inside of I-44 and I-240.

And actually, my post is not so much about Cingular but instead is more about retail in downtown. Im not sure what your motive is but if you disagree with me then I dont understand what you are doing on this forum. Most on this forum want retail downtown and (Im sorry) but there just not that much unique stuff in Oklahoma that I'd want to see in downtown! I want Big City stuff, what other big cities have - along with carefully thought out local amenities and attractions. Most successful downtowns have that mixture, but OKC IMO has neither!

Its beginning now, but the city has a long way to go before you can get on your high horse and debate about whether a Cingular store is warranted downtown.

HOT ROD
11-19-2005, 01:42 PM
For those of you who dont know me,

I was born and raised in OKC but moved to Seattle for college. I have since become an executive at a major aerospace company and still live in the Seattle area. I am a frequent traveler and often come to my hometown. I love OKC and always knew it had potential. It's just too hot for me!

I have always been a big booster for OKC. Many people have changed their views on the 'hickville' image of OK thanks to information I have provided. And since I lived there for 18 years, I know the REAL OKC. I was there (albeit a little kid) when downtown had retail (and BDP, the current version of downtown can't touch a candle whether you consider local unique attractions or mainstream - no comparison!).

Although I am a big booster of the city, I also know where it is failing. We've had lots of announcements lately (and I am happy for that) - and I dont think OKC should turn down anything retail that wants to come downtown. Anything can be implemented, just as long as the design is urban and as upscale as it can be. Does anyone not agree with that?

You talk about wanting to be major league, well get stuff that major league cities have! Then people will change their image about OKC even more and put you in the big league tier of cities.

IMHO, BDP is thinking too small time for me. OKC has much better potential than just serving as an urban "bedroom" enclave (where locals from the suburbs only come for local unique attractions).

TStheThird
11-19-2005, 03:43 PM
All the typical retail stores are also necessary for those living downtown. I am more concerned with developing downtown to make it livible than to make it attractive place for people from Edmond to come shop.

Karried
11-19-2005, 06:42 PM
I wonder if anyone has contacted Abraham and asked him to advertise his onion burgers on this site?

Guys, it's nice to see the passion regarding OKC -

metro
11-20-2005, 04:43 PM
METRO,

I was just in OKC in August and did not see any upscale retail in downtown other than Firefly, and it was empty.

1) not everybody lives in the suburbs nor wants to
2) inner city people dont really like to go to the suburbs to shop, they'd rather stay in town
3) tourists (like me) dont like to have to go to the suburbs to shop. We'd rather shop downtown and the inner city

In other words, you always have to think of the big picture. Isnt that what we always say when we start talking about getting an national anchor store downtown? Well, they aint coming until there is a critical mass downtown - and mainstream stores downtown will 1) give inner city residents the option to run errands downtown and 2) give tourists multiple reasons to spend $$ downtown.

When I was in OKC, my girlfriend and I spent over $1000 on retail purchases alone. Most of that was in the suburbs, because there was NOTHING downtown (although I did forget to take her to Firefly - because I thought it was closed as every time we were by there it was empty).

If there was stuff downtown, we would have easily out spent that! I mean, that's what we do when we travel - we SHOP! And we Patronize!

Oh, and I have a Cingular service so a store downtown probably would have meant some purchases there by me and my girlfriend.

You have to remember the big picture (which is NOT the sleepy suburbia perspective).

Interesting you call me out on this but I am one of downtown's biggest advocates. I never remotely said anything about the suburbs but was merely offering a few "upscale retailers" that were in downtown. I understand how OKC politics and how business works, and didn't say anything otherwise. I'm still confused what any of this has to do with onion burgers though?

Doug Loudenback
11-20-2005, 05:14 PM
... I'm still confused what any of this has to do with onion burgers though?
Actually, I'd like to know when the new onion burger place will open and what it's hours will be. Got any info (or did I miss that in your earlier post)?

metro
11-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Its already open and its in the post, scroll back

HOT ROD
11-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Interesting you call me out on this but I am one of downtown's biggest advocates. I never remotely said anything about the suburbs but was merely offering a few "upscale retailers" that were in downtown. I understand how OKC politics and how business works, and didn't say anything otherwise. I'm still confused what any of this has to do with onion burgers though?

Metro, I wasnt calling you out.

metro
11-21-2005, 03:00 PM
HOT ROD, I apologize then, it sure seemed like it considering you used my screenname

METRO,

HOT ROD
11-30-2005, 05:48 PM
na, I was just responding specifically to a quote you made. Only the first sentence was in specific reference to your quote..

I should have used a cut-off line or just posted another post. :)

BailJumper
03-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Well, it looks like Abraham's downtown location was a bust.

It's closed and the phone number on the awning is disconnected.

Too bad, that was a great place. Never as good as its original location on Western but still quite good.

I would imagine the overhead killed him.

I went in one time and bought myself and a friend each an omlette and probably drinks. It was around $18!!!!!!! When I said something he commented on the high rent and slow traffic.

Anyone heard anything about maybe a new location?

jbrown84
03-02-2007, 09:26 AM
What building was it in?

BailJumper
03-02-2007, 09:30 AM
1 North Hudson. Near the Lunch Box.

jbrown84
03-02-2007, 10:06 AM
doesn't help me

BailJumper
03-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Hmmm, picture the corner on 1 North Hudson - now look up!

Okay - NW corner of the myriad botanical gardens as a reference.

NW is 1 North Hudson (tall building with glass green houses at the top). NE corner is a parking lot. SW corner is the arts center with the funky box structures. SE corner is the Myriad Gardens.

jbrown84
03-02-2007, 10:36 AM
that helps me. thanks

BDP
03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah, that's a bummer. I loved that place.

John
03-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Hudson and Sheridan