View Full Version : Depot to get shops

Pages : [1] 2

jbrown84
11-16-2005, 10:12 PM
From newsok.com:

Freight docks to be converted into shops

Freight docks attached to the Santa Fe Train Station are being converted into retail shops, and the first tenant, Cingular Wireless, is expected to open by March.
The train station was renovated four years ago by veteran Bricktown developer Jim Brewer and his sons Brent and Brett. Since then, the station has been used by both passengers of the Amtrak Heartland Flyer and rented for special events.

The freight docks, until now, have been used for storage.

Brent Brewer said talks are underway with two other retailers. Designs by Richard Brown Associates show six dock openings will be converted into store fronts, with a new balcony and entry to be built facing the parking lot.

Brewer said the parking will be made available for customers during the day time, and will continue to be used for special events at night.

I like this idea a lot, although I wish it was more upscale stores than a wireless company.

BDP
11-16-2005, 10:29 PM
That's cool.

Doug Loudenback
11-17-2005, 08:59 AM
From newsok.com:

Freight docks attached to the Santa Fe Train Station are being converted into retail shops, and the first tenant, Cingular Wireless, is expected to open by March.
The train station was renovated four years ago by veteran Bricktown developer Jim Brewer and his sons Brent and Brett. Since then, the station has been used by both passengers of the Amtrak Heartland Flyer and rented for special events.

Brent Brewer said talks are underway with two other retailers. Designs by Richard Brown Associates show six dock openings will be converted into store fronts, with a new balcony and entry to be built facing the parking lot.

Brewer said the parking will be made available for customers during the day time, and will continue to be used for special events at night.

I like this idea a lot, although I wish it was more upscale stores than a wireless company.

Did Mr. Brewer ever complete his renovation of the station? Last time I looked (probably a year or so ago) it was pretty much undone. If he has restored it, that would be great news.

metro
11-17-2005, 09:18 AM
This is great news of an innovative way of using an existing structure.

John
11-17-2005, 09:22 AM
I've always thought that the docks being used as storefronts would be a great idea. Hopefully we can get a nice little cafe to open up there with patio seating. I think it'd be neat if one of the flower wholesalers set up a little outdoor flower cart in that area, too.

plmccordj
11-17-2005, 09:38 AM
I am having a hard time picturing where this is. Does it face E.K. Gaylord or what? Seems like that is between Sheridan and Reno facing West?

Paul

John
11-17-2005, 09:44 AM
I am having a hard time picturing where this is. Does it face E.K. Gaylord or what? Seems like that is between Sheridan and Reno facing West?

Paul

You're right on. The stalls are located just south of the actual depot building, right up against the elevated tracks.

brianinok
11-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Does someone have a picture?

jbrown84
11-17-2005, 05:23 PM
I couldn't find any pictures that show the docks. They all seem to be taken from the other end.

Here you can barely see them at the far right.

http://www.rogerbondy.com/51458+.jpg

HOT ROD
11-17-2005, 11:29 PM
From newsok.com:

No, I think this is a GREAT START. You got to get mainstream retail before you get upscale boutiques.

Besides, Every major city has a Cingular Wireless store in its downtown. And on my last visit, it was more than apparent to us that downtown OKC is lacking of even "basic" retail like this.

Personally, I think basic retail is local shoppes, 7-11's, and such. I place Cingular into specialty retail since they offer a high end product and service, analogous to a Versace store (one being single line specialty electronics the other being single line clothing and apparel - albeit absolutely upscale).

Like I said, every big city has a Cingular Wireless store in their downtown, OKC was probably the biggest city in the nation without one.

Once again, JOIN THE CLUB!

It will continue to get better from here!!!

BDP
11-18-2005, 10:14 AM
I don't have anything against a Cingular wireless or any mainstream retailer, really. But, as I stated in the Abraham's thread, I think it's the things that are different, the things you can't find in every downtown or every suburb, that will make downtown grow and eventaully be its strength. I think downtown has enough things that you can find everywhere else in the city. I don't go downtown to do errands and I'm not really interested in doing so.

I think the good thing about this is that it is a "safe" tenant that will motivate the developer to continue developing the docks and mitigate some risk on some unique businesses that will scite and motivate people to visit downtown.

Obviously, once there is a critical mass of people living there, everyday services will naturally move in.

John
11-18-2005, 10:40 AM
I think two great businesses in the dock space, especially with the expanded patio area, would be a Starbucks and (local chain)Camille's Sidewalk Cafe

HOT ROD
11-18-2005, 01:55 PM
I think downtown has enough things that you can find everywhere else in the city. I don't go downtown to do errands and I'm not really interested in doing so.

BDP,

You may not go downtown for errands but that should not preclude others from doing so.

In fact, is there a Cingular Wireless inside the Inner Loop freeway system of OKC? I dont think so. And to me, that is why we need it downtown.

Not everyone likes going out to the suburbs for, everything. Hopefully, OKC will continue to add things inside the inner loop and I think downtown should remain the focus of inner city development!

Hopefully you will decide to run errands downtown once the business becomes more significant - that will add to the critical mass of downtown and will help make downtown alive 24/7 - which is what we all want!

jbrown84
11-18-2005, 04:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing John about Starbucks and Camille's. Also I brought this up on the the UrbanPlanet forum and someone else mentioned Starbucks.

HOT ROD, I think you're probably right. Cingular Wireless is a good start. I think there probably is a Cingular inside the inner loop somewhere on 23rd around Penn or May, but that would be the closest. I'm excited to see what else goes in there.

HOT ROD
11-18-2005, 11:16 PM
I thought Starbucks already announced a Bricktown location (among other downtown locale's) and that OKC is their largest city for expansion now.

jbrown84
11-19-2005, 03:33 AM
I didn't hear that. What do you mean largest city for expansion?

Patrick
11-19-2005, 10:57 AM
To answer Doug's question.....

The depot building itself was renovated. The exterior was renovated. Compare the pic posted above to the existing appearance. Brewer cleaned up the building. Also, he completely restored the interior. Before, the building was basically boarded up and deteriorating.

BDP
11-19-2005, 01:17 PM
In fact, is there a Cingular Wireless inside the Inner Loop freeway system of OKC?

23rd st.

Belle Isle, just outside the loop.

I live inside the loop and have for awhile. The best part about it is that it's not wall-to-wall chains.

HOT ROD
11-19-2005, 01:46 PM
I never said wall to wall chains was good or warranted.

I said, mainstream retail in the inner city (downtown in particular) is warranted!

HOT ROD
11-19-2005, 01:47 PM
I didn't hear that. What do you mean largest city for expansion?

Do I really have to define this or are you being facetious?

jbrown84
11-20-2005, 10:49 PM
No I'm not being facetious. It wasn't a very clear statement. Do you mean the largest city they are still expanding in? I really don't know. I don't need a definition of largest or expansion, but I'm unclear on what that means.

John
11-21-2005, 01:50 PM
They're opening (or planning to open) more new Starbucks in OKC than in any other city, currently.

HOT ROD
11-21-2005, 01:50 PM
No I'm not being facetious. It wasn't a very clear statement. Do you mean the largest city they are still expanding in? I really don't know. I don't need a definition of largest or expansion, but I'm unclear on what that means.

correct.

jbrown84
11-21-2005, 05:16 PM
See, what John says is not the same thing. Thank you for clarifying.

metro
04-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Good news, after years of not seeing/hearing anything more on this, I drove by tonight with my wife and we noticed that the old freight docks/windows were being replacing by the framing for new ones. The glass wasn't in place but the stainless steel frames for windows were going in. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction into finally getting the promised retail in here!

jbrown84
04-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Wow, I had pretty much given up on this one.

HOT ROD
04-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Its about time.

I wrote a letter to the mayor, I wonder if that has anything to do with this :)

I said, it is ridiculous that this depot is left sitting here in this condition considering Brewer got tax credits to "update it" and that he promised retail (Cingular and others) were interested in it. We should either demand that he upgrade the facility like promised or demand it returned to the city so another developer can be found.

Anyways, if nothing else - my actions (and many of yours) show that we care about downtown and will not let people like Brewer sit there getting rich while their properties look like a freaking dump. He should be ashamed of himself - 2 years later, he finally is upgrading those docks. He must be using the money from the parking for Big XII to get this done.

The city should not settle for this crap, but at least something ist happening now.

Kerry
04-25-2007, 03:05 PM
In fairness to the city - I think they have had bigger things to worry about over the last 2 years then the loading docks at an old train station. Having said that I am glad they are finally doing something.

Patrick
04-25-2007, 03:19 PM
I've gotten used to Brewer making false claims. How many hotels has he promised us now?

jbrown84
04-25-2007, 03:25 PM
15 or 20, if I remember correctly.

writerranger
04-25-2007, 03:35 PM
In fairness to the city - I think they have had bigger things to worry about over the last 2 years then the loading docks at an old train station. Having said that I am glad they are finally doing something.

I would agree Kerry, except that the loading docks at the depot are framed on either side by the eastbound entrances to Bricktown. It's a pretty prominent location and looks really bad.

-------------

John
04-25-2007, 03:47 PM
You would have thought it would have been open by Big XII Championship time. Brewer's loss...

Patrick
04-25-2007, 03:48 PM
You would have thought it would have been open by Big XII Championship time. Brewer's loss...

He made plenty off his parking lots, so no loss on his part.

John
04-25-2007, 04:27 PM
He made plenty off his parking lots, so no loss on his part.

Yeah, there's always that... ;)

HOT ROD
04-25-2007, 07:59 PM

Kerry, I disagree with your statement - the city should NOT have bigger things to do than develop Downtown into the urban centre we all want. If they dont have time, then its time for them to go (or Brewer to go).

We can't expect (or allow) a complacent government - otherwise, we're no better than we were in 1985!! Don't give the city or these developers ANY slack, especially when it comes to our downtown (image that everyone who comes here will see/leave with).

Its their job. Tell me, if your boss told you to do something and it too you two years before you lifted a finger - that you'd still have your high paying job???

Well, that is my expectation of Oklahoma City government (high paying jobs to tell people what to do) and they should have got off their arse long ago and done something about that eyesore!!! OKC tore down Mercey Hospital for Christ's sake like that was SUCH A BIG DEAL!!! - they surely could demand Brewer clean up his GATEWAY ART DECO Train Station without allowing him 2 years to even do ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

As for Brewer, Im sure the parking from the Big XII is why we're even seeing anything happen with this project - besides my writing the city reminding them about that dump of a Train Station!!!!
:numchucks

okclee
04-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Hot Rod....I agree with you on this. Someone should lose their job especially when they are given so many taxpayer gifts in regards to downtown and bricktown.

Keep those emails coming to the City of Okc and to the Mayor. I must say that you may be the best watch-dog for Okc, and we need more of us to be like you.

metro
05-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Drove by again last night, no new glass/doors have gone in since last time I posted, however they ripped out some exterior stairs and concrete (possible plumbing or utility line work??) and there is now 2 dumpsters on the property and they were full. Perhaps they are finally gutting and remodeling after all. I guess we'll see within a few more weeks.

metro
07-10-2007, 08:51 PM
I drove by again tonight, looks like all the new windows and doors are now in place. Ironically, they still have the original ones cracked and boarded up directly behind the new ones, but alas it looks like progress is being made although slowly. Hopefully we'll see some retail in here by years end. I know previously Cingular Wireless and Camille's had announced locations for here, but that was at least a year ago, if not more.

betts
07-11-2007, 07:38 AM
I've got a friend who's a manager of several of the Starbucks here. I alerted her to the midtown area and she went down to look. She was impressed enough to pass the word on, but said a store there would probably be a couple of years away. The Centennial will have a Starbucks, I believe, so there probably won't be another downtown until there's significantly more population.

Someone told me that Starbucks has done research and people don't like to stand in a line that has more than six people in it. They lose significant business when their lines start getting long, so until that's happening downtown, don't look for another Starbucks.

metro
07-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Yes, betts, the Centennial will have a Starbucks, probably by October at the latest. Also, I really think Midtown could support at lease one Starbucks now along with the CBD or the main part of downtown could support several. The population is already there and growing by the day, not to mention the 40,000 or so that work downtown everyday.

jbrown84
07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I would certainly think that as soon as the Starbucks in the Centennial opens, it will already have lines. Have you seen Marble Slab on any given night?

Now mornings may be a little different.

A midtown location would probably do the opposite--better in the morning and at lunch, but not as good at night.

metro
07-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Back to topic of the shops in the Sante Fe train depot.

okclee
07-11-2007, 02:49 PM
This project is dragging along , who is the contractor on this job??

metro
07-26-2007, 08:01 AM
I drove by the other day and the project is showing more signs of progress. Looks like the old doors behind the new ones have been ripped out as well as the old windows. All the new windows and doors are now in place. Steel studs have been put up on the interior and it appears they are ready to start drywalling. Hopefully we'll see some stores or some sort of announcement soon. I know originally 2 years ago when this was supposed to be done, Cingular and Camille's had announced a location here. I wonder if they are still in the works.

metro
11-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Train station set for retail
The Journal Record

November 20, 2007

OKLAHOMA CITY – In 1998 Bricktown developer Jim Brewer purchased the old Santa Fe Railway Station in downtown Oklahoma City. At the time, passenger rail service had not come to the city in nearly two decades, and the station itself was neglected and dilapidated. Built in 1934, the 20,685-square-foot, art deco-style station maintained a stop for different rail routes, including a Chicago-to-Houston Amtrak line. Then passenger service discontinued in the city in 1979.The station fell dark and was largely ignored until Brewer purchased the building from the railroad for $374,667 after nearly seven years of negotiations.“

It took a long time to get and a long time to renovate it,” Brewer said. “I felt like it was something I wanted to keep a part of downtown, and I wanted to control it; I didn’t want someone else getting it.”

After a $3.1 million renovation in recent years, the station’s south end is now being fitted for retail space.The Heartland Flyer Brewer said the money for the initial renovation came when Oklahoma Department of Transportation officials came to him in the late 1990s and wanted to know if they could use the station to service an Amtrak passenger line. That line came in the form of the Heartland Flyer, which since 1999 has departed Oklahoma City daily for Fort Worth, Texas, with return trips in the evening.“I said yes, you can use it if you can come up with some money,” Brewer said. The money came from ODOT through the city of Oklahoma City, which in turn paid Brewer to complete renovations and do some necessary upgrades. Brewer said nearly $2 million of the money was spent solely on making the station compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, installing an elevator and rebuilding the overhead on the platform. Other repairs included duplicating some of the rotted art-deco molding, redoing the floors and walls and replacing two 40-foot-high lights that disappeared sometime after the station closed in the 1970s.

Downtown OKC Inc. President Brett Hamm, who worked for former U.S. Sen. Don Nickles when passenger train service returned to Oklahoma City, applauded the public-private partnership for the renovation of the Santa Fe Station and for returning rail service to the city.“Projects such as this require a public-private partnership for success,” Hamm said. “The Heartland Flyer and the station is another example of that.”Retail ready with the initial renovations complete, Brewer submitted plans to the city in November 2005 – then a revised version in 2006 – to remodel the south end of the station for retail. The main part of the station is rented out for private parties and receptions.

The plans, drawn by Rick Brown & Associates, call for the renovation of four docks into retail suites, one with 689 square feet, one with 794 square feet, one with 842 square feet and the largest with 1,280 square feet. Brewer is overseeing the renovation of the spaces and said they will be completed and available in the near future. The costs submitted to the city for renovating the spaces ranged between $30,000 and $40,000 each. Brewer said those renovations will likely be more costly in the end.

Leasing has not begun on the spaces but Brewer said there is interest from a car rental company and from food and clothing retailers. “It’s getting pretty close to ready,” Brewer said.

The station was zoned in the Bricktown Core from 1993 to May 1, 2007, when it was rezoned as a part of downtown. But many still consider the station the gateway to Bricktown.

Jim Cowan, executive director of the Bricktown Association, said he welcomes the station’s potential to be both an area of retail leading into Bricktown as well as an important train stop for future extended passenger service. “The potential for that as being a gateway to the rest of the country from a transportation standpoint is enormous,” Cowan said. “A lot of people might be skeptical, but they might be the same ones who said MAPS would never pass.”

Future plans Brewer said when the retail space is done he has additional plans for the station, and is ready for the call that Oklahoma City will host more passenger lines requiring a manned station similar to the station in Fort Worth. “We’re ready at any time they hook this up to other lines,” he said. For the time being, Brewer is tight-lipped about future plans for the station, but promises something great when all is said and done.“It will be the shining bright light right there,” he said. “It will be the highlight of Oklahoma City.”

http://journalrecord.com/_images/articles/labsrailroad%20depot%20-%20sante%20fe%201%20-%20JP.jpg

The Sante Fe Railway Station near Bricktown is undergoing renovation to bring retail business to the station’s south end. (Photo by Jennifer Pitts)

jbrown84
11-20-2007, 08:42 AM
A car rental company makes a lot of sense. Hopefully that goes through.

mecarr
11-20-2007, 08:52 AM
wow, I began reading this thread not knowing that the original post was years ago. It's amazing how slow things seem to move sometime. Nevertheless, it's nice that something is happening.

metro
11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Actually most of the retail space is complete and has been for awhile from what I've been able to tell, the new glass front facade and doors have been in place awhile and they've redone the utilities and wiring, put up new interior walls, etc. As the article said, tenants should be in here soon.

soonerguru
11-20-2007, 10:18 AM
"It's getting close to ready." WTF does that mean? And, wow, great English there.

The "shining light" of Oklahoma City? Doesn't that strike you as hollow boosterism?

Why is this redneck controlling so much of our urban landscape?

mecarr
11-20-2007, 01:28 PM
yea...I dont know if I have much faith in this guy.

BDP
11-20-2007, 02:32 PM
It's amazing how slow things seem to move sometime.

Unfortunately, I think this is because we have a lot of people in control of this stuff that have no prior experience in doing it. Things move much faster in larger markets or where expertise trumps local affiliation. It's a hard balance, because you can get experienced outsiders controlling it where it's only a small part of their portfolio and it can get lost in the shuffle. But I think what we have is just small timers who are using some of our best properties to cut their teeth in terms of redevelopment.

metro
03-05-2008, 10:59 PM
For Lease signs finally went up this week:

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/SanteFe_Docks_-retail1.JPG

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/SanteFe_Docks_-retail2.JPG

jbrown84
03-06-2008, 08:34 AM
makin' progress...

okclee
03-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Whoa, slow down there Brewer.

mecarr
03-06-2008, 08:56 AM
DOes anyone want to predict when the first shop will move in? I think they'll announce a new tenant by May, and then that tenant will move in around October, and open for business around January.

metro
03-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Well, I know they originally had Camille's and Cingular Wireless lined up, but this was about 2 years ago when these were supposed to open. I do imagine these will be easier to lease now that the Ford Center tax extention passed and given the proximity of these to the Ford Center, cheap fast-food joints or clothing retailers would do extremely well here being so close to the convention center and Ford Center.

Pete
03-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm sure one of the reasons he's been so slow is that he makes good money off the parking directly in front of those spaces. Also, I was told by someone in their offices that they are only a partner in the retail space.

I went all around that building on Friday because I thought it might be a good venue for a class reunion I am planning for the summer. I couldn't get inside because they were setting up for a wedding, but I was really disappointed in the condition of that building.

There was garbage blowing around, all the exterior stonework needs to be at least cleaned and some of it repaired, the light fixtures need work and there are rust and water stains on a good part of the exterior. Even the one Amtrak sign looks really crappy. And, there were cars parked right on top of the stairs which looked really trashy.

Does Brewer own this outright or is he just operating it for the city? Whatever the case, at the very least the exterior needs to be improved -- it's an embarrassment.

I took a few photos:

http://images18.fotki.com/v87/photos/1/1131078/5988524/IMG_0056-vi.jpg

http://images31.fotki.com/v1087/photos/1/1131078/5988524/IMG_0060-vi.jpg

http://images32.fotki.com/v1092/photos/1/1131078/5988524/IMG_0061-vi.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/depot1.jpg

http://images36.fotki.com/v1155/photos/1/1131078/5988524/IMG_0053-vi.jpg

http://images18.fotki.com/v328/photos/1/1131078/5988524/IMG_0054-vi.jpg

http://images30.fotki.com/v476/photos/1/1131078/5988524/IMG_0055-vi.jpg

Kerry
03-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Maybe we can all pitch in and buy them some vowels for the sign.

wsucougz
03-09-2008, 09:02 PM
It's pretty obvious that Brewer does the bare minimum. Who in their right mind would open a business there?

okclee
03-09-2008, 09:56 PM
What is the nicest project / building in Bricktown that Brewer owns??