View Full Version : $2 million building planned for Automobile Alley

Pete
11-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Construction planned for Automobile Alley

http://www.newsok.com/tempimages/n16plans.jpg

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City's Urban Design Committee will review plans today for a $2 million headquarters to be built on Automobile Alley next year for the Oklahoma City Community Foundation.

The construction would mark the first new office building along Broadway in at least 40 years. The property, at NW 10 and Broadway, was last occupied by a Kerr-McGee service station and Studebaker dealership but has been unused for decades.

Nancy Anthony, the foundation's executive director, succeeded where many others have failed: convincing Kerr-McGee to sell the property to the organization for $175,000.

"I've had several real estate people smile and say, 'We've been trying to get that piece for the past 15 years, how did you get it?'" Anthony said. "Kerr-McGee was very supportive of us, by agreeing to sell it and working with us on the price."

The designs by architect David Hornbeek show that the building will be two stories high, 18,000 square feet and will feature a brick facade. Construction is expected to start by summer and last about a year.

Dave Lopez, president of Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., applauded the deal, saying NW 10 is becoming a key corridor between St. Anthony Hospital, the Oklahoma Health Center and downtown.

"It will be an anchor for the area," Lopez said. "We had Dave Leland, an urban planning and development expert from Portland, doing a helicopter tour recently, and he said the most critical intersection for downtown is 10th and Broadway."

As the building is on such a critical corner, the designs may prompt some debate at today's meeting.

A staff report on the project, submitted by city planner John Calhoun, reports an oval-shaped plaza at the corner of NW 10 and Broadway may counter guidelines that call for building frontage to abut the entire front property line.

"The guidelines are quite clear that the building line should be all the way across the front and side on corner properties," the report stated. "Under these provisions, a plaza could be located only on the back or middle of the property."

The report also states a corner plaza will have to be considered a significant contribution to the vitality of the streetscape to be exempted from the guidelines.

Other concerns include the use of "EIFS" -- an Exterior Insulation and Finish System, or a type of stucco on the building's plaza colonnades, tower top and window caps. The report notes the material is unacceptable to other Automobile Alley property owners.

Anthony said her organization made the building two stories to fit in with surrounding buildings and hopes the plaza will enhance the gateway into downtown.

"This will be our space to do something to honor the donors we've had over the years," Anthony said.

"We've really tried to make it a strong statement and have something that will be attractive. We're committing to a high level of landscaping with it."

The new headquarters will double the building space and parking of the organization's current home.

"The community spaces are the single biggest addition," Anthony said. "We have 23 employees now, and we'll probably be able to accommodate 35 to 40 in the new space."

Anthony said her foundation likes Automobile Alley because it is central to the city -- near downtown -- yet convenient to volunteers.

PUGalicious
11-16-2005, 07:34 AM
That looks really cool!

metro
11-16-2005, 07:50 AM
It's so vital and close to the CBD though, I hope they will give it more thought before jumping on the first offer. I would like to see it 3 stories minimum and a better, time tested facade.

BDP
11-16-2005, 09:47 AM
I think I will continue to question the building of office space when there is so much vacancy. Can $2 million not renovate space, too?

John
11-16-2005, 11:08 AM
That's a nice building and all, but I don't think that building belongs on 10th & Broadway.

A perfect location for that would be the intersection of 13th & Broadway.

Pete
11-16-2005, 11:35 AM
I will continue to question the building of office space when there is so much vacancy. Can $2 million not renovate space, too?

Good point.

Although it is nice to see a long-vacant piece of property developed in such a nice way.

Pete
11-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Here's the location...

It is directly between St. Anthony's and the HSC, although I'm not sure why that's important for this particular organization:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/autoalley2.jpg

jbrown84
11-16-2005, 04:35 PM
I like it but I'd like to see them replace the EIFS with yellow limestone. I don't think it would add to much to the cost. And I like the plaza. I think it should be allowed.

Doug Loudenback
11-16-2005, 05:07 PM
That's a nice building and all, but I don't think that building belongs on 10th & Broadway.

A perfect location for that would be the intersection of 13th & Broadway.

It may well have something to do with OKC's committment to Saints to improve the surrounding area, particularly the east-west corridor on NW 10th to the Lincoln, etc. medical complex.

Personally, I'll take what I can get, particularly in those parts of near-downtown that need work, and this should fit in nicely with the corresponding improvements along 10th & Walker ... particularly the city's 1st "shopping center", the name escapes me at the moment ... but which is being upgraded as we speak... other threads at OkcTalk cover that development ...

I'd look it up but it's time for me to go to get my Hornets ticket for this evening! Seeeee yaaaah ...

windowphobe
11-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Tenth and Walker would be Plaza Court.

I'm wondering why Kerr-McGee is selling off all these pieces of property, personally.

jbrown84
11-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Intriguing question windowphobe...

John
11-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Tenth and Walker would be Plaza Court.

I'm wondering why Kerr-McGee is selling off all these pieces of property, personally.

It could just be that they want to see more development downtown, with the sale of land, along with their announced condo units. The more 'buzz' downtown, the better it is for everyone.

metro
11-17-2005, 09:21 AM
windowphobe that is an intriguing thought I have been wondering about also. It almost makes you wonder if they are planning on moving to Houston after Corbett retires but it marks them as being a good corporate citizen while they are here? just a thought

Pete
11-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Could be a simple as liquidating unneeded properties at a time when values have finally taken a turn up.

Pete
11-17-2005, 09:08 PM
BTW, KM divested itself of $3 billion worth of North Sea assets it was announced today.

They are definetly up to something!

metro
10-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Just drove by. Looks like the boards were going up for the foundation. Once that's poured, I imagine the building will go up pretty quickly.

Spartan
10-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Newsflash: KM no longer exists.

Pete
10-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Spartan, it existed when those posts were made -- check the dates.

metro
10-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Yes Spartan, and besides, this thread is not about KM, but about the progress of the OKC Community Foundation

metro
11-16-2006, 09:00 PM
I drove by today and it looks like the steel frame has started to go up!

MrZ
11-16-2006, 09:48 PM
What company is going to be in this building?

metro
11-17-2006, 10:27 AM
As you will read in the original post at the top of this thread. It is not a company but a nonprofit known as the Oklahoma City Community Foundation.

metro
06-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Just a quick update. The OKC Community Foundation building in Automobile Alley is nearing completition. The exterior is getting finishing touches and already features nice signage, landscaping (trees), and sidewalks.

okclee
06-22-2007, 10:15 AM
I too drove by this today and I must say that this project is coming along nicely. It is good to see a project anounced and completed in such a timely manner. An excellent addition to the Auto Alley.

Pete
07-15-2007, 07:19 PM
OKC Community Foundation prepares for new facility (http://www.okcbusiness.com/article.asp?aID=727655802.9240476.579137.6533142.8 936761.325&aID2=44540)

http://www.okcbusiness.com/images/photos/Community-Foundation-(web)-.jpg