View Full Version : $50 OK History Center opens near state capitol

Pete
11-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Really wish this would have been built somewhere downtown...

Oklahoma History Center opens 'treasures of heritage'

By The Associated Press

Like a time capsule for the state, the Oklahoma History Center opened its doors Tuesday to tell the story of Oklahoma from early American Indian families to the space capsule that carried American astronauts on the first space walk.

The $50 million museum, located on 18 acres near the state Capitol, houses 2,000 artifacts and 200 multimedia, interactive exhibits covering Oklahoma's contributions to aviation, geology, commerce, culture, transportation and the arts.

"The magnificent Oklahoma History Center is a fitting tribute to the men and women who have built our great state," Gov. Brad Henry said.

More than 1,500 people were expected at the opening night gala, where a trick roper, Indian fancy dancers and historic re-enactors entertained guests. The Oklahoma History Center opens to the public on Saturday.

"As visitors arrive, they will truly experience Oklahoma at one site, from Guymon to Broken Bow and from Miami to Altus," said Bob Blackburn, executive director of the Oklahoma Historical Society.

"The Oklahoma History Center is an architectural masterpiece a decade in the making that captures the people of Oklahoma, our diverse terrain and indigenous trees, flowers and plants," Blackburn said.

The 215,000-square-foot research and learning center, with almost 40,000-feet of exhibit space, features an 80-foot glass atrium where a replica of the Winnie Mae, flown around the world in only eight days by Wiley Post, is suspended from the ceiling.

Other exhibits include an 1830s Red River commercial riverboat, a Civil War cannon, a Land Run covered wagon and the Gemini 6 space capsule commanded by Oklahoman Tom Stafford.

"It is wonderful to have this world-class museum open now so families and school children can explore and learn more about Oklahoma's unique and exciting history as we approach our centennial in 2007," said Blake Wade, executive director of the Oklahoma Centennial Commission.

The Oklahoma History Center is affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution.

Luke
11-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Very cool. I'll have to check this out.

HOT ROD
11-16-2005, 08:18 PM
I disagree.

I dont think it belong'd downtown, I think the Capitol Campus is perfect for it.

Not everything should be downtown, and certainly we dont want a whole lot of state government downtown. That is actually one thing I like about OKC (and Denver), that downtown cBD is separated from the State Government.

That way, commercial business can be a truly separate sector than state government.

Besides, the area around the capital needed fixing up as well - to create (or Renaissance) the entire inner city.

Downtown should continue to focus on commercial business and big city attractions. Leave the state stuff to the capital campus, modeled after the national capital campus, of course.

metro
11-17-2005, 09:26 AM
I agree with HOT ROD's disagreement. It doesn't belong downtown. If you go to Washington DC, in the Washington Mall, you don't see the Lincoln Monument or the Smithsonian in their business district. It makes sense to keep touristy/government things like this with a government type complex. It also gives visitors one more reason to visit the capitol complex after spending time in the CBD.

I disagree.

I dont think it belong'd downtown, I think the Capitol Campus is perfect for it.

Not everything should be downtown, and certainly we dont want a whole lot of state government downtown. That is actually one thing I like about OKC (and Denver), that downtown cBD is separated from the State Government.

That way, commercial business can be a truly separate sector than state government.

Besides, the area around the capital needed fixing up as well - to create (or Renaissance) the entire inner city.

Downtown should continue to focus on commercial business and big city attractions. Leave the state stuff to the capital campus, modeled after the national capital campus, of course.

swake
11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
I agree with HOT ROD's disagreement. It doesn't belong downtown. If you go to Washington DC, in the Washington Mall, you don't see the Lincoln Monument or the Smithsonian in their business district. It makes sense to keep touristy/government things like this with a government type complex. It also gives visitors one more reason to visit the capitol complex after spending time in the CBD.

Washington has a business district?

Oh, you mean Reston and Gaithersburg.

metro
11-17-2005, 11:55 AM
yeah and possibly even Baltimore

Pete
11-17-2005, 12:09 PM
What is the difference between this museum and the Native American center, or the OKC Art Museum or the Land Run Monument? It's loose government affiliation? What does that have to do with anything?

We're desperately trying to create critical mass downtown, with hotels, convention space and a reason for people to come down there and stay.

Why spread out attractions -- especially new ones -- when he still have huge holes to fill in and around downtown?

HOT ROD
11-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Washington has a business district?

Oh, you mean Reston and Gaithersburg.

Actually DC does have a central business district, and its called downtown.

its around the near NW sector, just outside of the government sector (the Capitol MALL), and quite venerable. Its also all low rise, NO skyscrapers.

The only skyscraper, traditional CBD downtown, in the Metroplex is Baltimore, followed by Reston/Arlington as you noted.

HOT ROD
11-17-2005, 11:39 PM
What is the difference between this museum and the Native American center, or the OKC Art Museum or the Land Run Monument? It's loose government affiliation? What does that have to do with anything?

We're desperately trying to create critical mass downtown, with hotels, convention space and a reason for people to come down there and stay.

Why spread out attractions -- especially new ones -- when he still have huge holes to fill in and around downtown?

Because this is a STATE museum and we want to create a STATE campus, in addition to a big city downtown.

DC is a great model to follow, with its prominent govt buildings and museums at or near the Capitol Mall. OKC is following that model, and I think it will work nicely. And downtown OKC is not that far away.

By the way, OKCMOA is NOT a government organization! That's why its downtown, as is all other Art Museums in other major cities.

Yes, we need more museums downtown but let's get private ones downtown and leave the state run ones at the complex.

metro
11-18-2005, 07:39 AM
By the way, OKCMOA is NOT a government organization! That's why its downtown, as is all other Art Museums in other major cities.

Yes, we need more museums downtown but let's get private ones downtown and leave the state run ones at the complex.

Ditto, I second that!

Pete
11-18-2005, 11:35 AM
We're talking about a museum here, so I still don't see why proximity to government office buildings has any relevance. It's not on a 'campus'... It's east on 23rd street and not within walking distance of anything else. Unless you are seeking it out specifically in your car, you won't be going.

If it was somehow linked to the capitol or in the middle of a more tourist/visitor-friendly area, I'd be more convinced.

Considering this complex has a pricetag of $50 million and is already open and I haven't seen one post about it on these boards -- yet there have been hundreds about a much less ambitious American Indian Center that has yet to break ground or even release detailed plans -- tells me this massive investment and resource will go vastly under utilized both in attendance and in contributing to other businesses such as restaurants and hotels. Especially since there are pretty much none at 23rd and bloody Kelly.

swake
11-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Actually DC does have a central business district, and its called downtown.

its around the near NW sector, just outside of the government sector (the Capitol MALL), and quite venerable. Its also all low rise, NO skyscrapers.

The only skyscraper, traditional CBD downtown, in the Metroplex is Baltimore, followed by Reston/Arlington as you noted.

It was a joke, I grew up in the DC area, Rockville, Brookeville and Frederick. My Grandmother lived in Chevy Chase and I had other family in Falls Church.

metro
11-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Technically this has not yet opened to the public, it opened tuesday for private tours but does not open until tomorrow to the public, FYI

HOT ROD
11-18-2005, 02:17 PM
It was a joke, I grew up in the DC area, Rockville, Brookeville and Frederick. My Grandmother lived in Chevy Chase and I had other family in Falls Church.

oh ok swake.

I lived in Alexandria (and Herndon/Dulles) for a while, and I thought you really didnt know.

DC's downtown doesnt really look like a traditional CBD with skyscrapers, so most tourists dont really realize it exists. But yes, since you grew up there - you know.

HOT ROD
11-18-2005, 02:20 PM
We're talking about a museum here, so I still don't see why proximity to government office buildings has any relevance. It's not on a 'campus'... It's east on 23rd street and not within walking distance of anything else. Unless you are seeking it out specifically in your car, you won't be going.

If it was somehow linked to the capitol or in the middle of a more tourist/visitor-friendly area, I'd be more convinced.

Considering this complex has a pricetag of $50 million and is already open and I haven't seen one post about it on these boards -- yet there have been hundreds about a much less ambitious American Indian Center that has yet to break ground or even release detailed plans -- tells me this massive investment and resource will go vastly under utilized both in attendance and in contributing to other businesses such as restaurants and hotels. Especially since there are pretty much none at 23rd and bloody Kelly.

It actually is on the Capitol campus ..... And they are following the DC Mall model. In fact, I thought it is right across the street from the capital building itself (that's what I remember from my visit to the city in August, right across the street). ??

HOT ROD
11-18-2005, 02:22 PM
the museums of the Adventure District are not near restaurants or hotels either, but they are doing ok (I think). In fact, they are ON 'even bloodier' MLK Avenue.

Yet isnt the Adventure District still OKC's #1 tourist area?

jbrown84
11-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Hot Rod, you are correct. The museum is directly across from the capitol at 23rd and Lincoln. I have seen it several times. You would have to cross Lincoln to get to it from the Capitol, but I don't think that's any more walking than you have to do downtown to walk from the Ford Center to Bricktown. Seems like a good fit to me.

And malibu, I don't see how the American Indian Cultural Center is LESS ambitious than the history museum. It's costing more than twice as much and has a pretty amazing design if you ask me. Personally I don't like the design of the new History Museum but it sounds like they have some cool exhibits.

Patrick
11-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Before Brad Henry took office, this project was in danger of being cut, and not being completed. Similar to education. But, like with the education shortfall, and other state shortfalls, Brad Henry found the money. Now if we could only get the dome paid for. We have Keating to thank for all of the debts we're left with.

Pete
11-21-2005, 08:51 PM
I apologize for being so testy and antagonistic on this thread.

I just get frustrated with a lot of the decisions that are made regarding how the city is developed and was in the middle of a couple of bad days.

It sounds like OKC is lucky to have the museum at all and I hope it sees good attendance.

jbrown84
11-22-2005, 12:38 PM
I am planning on going this week when I have family down from Milwaukee and Wichita. I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

ccsokc
11-26-2005, 02:36 AM
I went to the Okla. History Center, the Sunday after it opened. It was free both those two days. The admission price was either 5 or 6 dollars per person. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 6.5 to 7 overall. It took me about 2.5 hours to just walk through and GLANCE at the exhibits, with the crowds there, so I would suggest if you want to see the entire museum, including ALL the films, expect to stay a good 4-5 hours. It has 4 main galleries, 2 on the 1st floor and 2 on the 3rd. The view of the capitol building was great. It is only one of 18 museum's in the country that is a Smithsonian Institute Affiliate, which is awesome. It does not look like a museum you would find in Oklahoma at all, more like Chicago to be exact. I would highly recommend going. If anybody else has gone, your comments of the museum would be appreciated. And as for the fact of the location- it's perfect. It doesn't belong downtown, and being where it is, hopefully will help the whole 23rd street/Lincoln Blvd. area. (BTW, I felt very safe there... :) )

jbrown84
11-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Your review seems to be very positive but you only give it a 6.5 to 7 out of 10?

metro
11-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Yes I would probably give it a 7 maybe 7.5, it was nice, don't really care for the exterior design but the interior is fairly nice. Quality is par or slightly above par for most museums.