View Full Version : Rail Transit

Luke
09-21-2004, 09:43 AM
I used to not really care either way about rail transit. But the more I think about it, the more it just makes sense.

It would be nice to be within walking distance (or at least biking distance) to a rail stop. I would love to be able to commute via rail to work (From NW 23rd and Classen to Del City). We need some forward thinkers to figure out the best way to do that. To orchestrate a MAPS like program for rail connection all through the metro.

I would imagine that most passengers would use rail in traffic flow patterns that already exist as interstates. For example, a cross pattern from Edmond to Norman and from Yukon to Midwest City. Those would be higher speed rails to get from one major location to another. Rail Branches could then take you to specific areas like the Adventure District, NW Expwy, Westmoore, Capital, and so on...

Las Vegas has a new monorail system that travels up and down Las Vegas Blvd making stops at the major resorts. Having a monorail zig-zag through downtown, Bricktown and on through neighborhoods sure would add a unique flair to rail transit.

I think a monorail would be easier to install on major thoroughfares. Simply build up on medians. Monorail would also be more convenient to maneuver through residential areas. You wouldn't have to tear up streets or widen roads with a monorail system. That would save a lot of money in itselft.

Just dreaming here...

:)

mranderson
09-21-2004, 09:59 AM
I think it should be a combination of monorail and subway.

There are areas where the monorail would not fit, like the downtown streets, which are too narrow and have little easement.

Plus, areas like SW 89 and Pennsylvania where the easement could not allow a monorail.

Run subway in these areas, then run monorail on the freeways. An example could be a subway station, say, I240 and Walker under the former supermarket. Make that a monorail station as well, then run monorails from Douglas to NW 150 and Portland. The main streets would all be subway most of the way with stops every three or so miles.

With the easement problems, this is the only solution I can think of since we have no track system in place in the newer parts of the city. (1950 and newer).

The only other way would be electric trollys like in San Diego. You still have easement problems, however.

Patrick
09-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Obviously, the city should probably start small like Dallas did. Maybe start out with a line from Norman to OKC. See how it does. Then continue adding on as demand supports it.

Luke
09-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Patrick,

I think you're right on the money with that. Norman/OKC and Edmond/OKC should be the first links.

Any government leaders ever push for this?

Patrick
09-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Aaron Highfill, Keith, and myself, along with others from OCART pushed for it several years ago. Humphreys didn't want to have anything to do with it. But apparently the city heard our voices, because in discussions about MAPS III, commuter rail continues to come up.
The city is just tied down with MAPS for Kids right now, and of course commuter rail isn't a first priority, so it's been placed on the vack burner. Unfortunately, other cities are starting to leave us behind. And, at the same time, Ernest Istook hasn't helped us out any. I can't stand that man. He's done so much harm for our city. I think the only reason people vote for him is because he's a Republican. That's sad! I vote for the person, not the party.