View Full Version : Official kick off for I-40 relocation project

Pete
11-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Crosstown project launched

By Ron Jenkins
Associated Press Writer

Officials kicked off construction Monday of the relocation of Interstate 40 through downtown Oklahoma City, a $360 million project to replace a worn stretch of highway .

The groundbreaking ceremony for the state's largest transportation project is the culmination of more than a decade of efforts by local, state and congressional leaders to replace the Crosstown, a stretch of I-40 originally built to carry 72,000 vehicles per day and now carrying 120,000.

The expressway is being expanded from six lanes to 10 lanes and the project also calls for a new six-lane boulevard through downtown Oklahoma City. Economic development and recreational projects are planned along with the road improvements.

Gov. Brad Henry took note of a wide range of economic activity already under way in Oklahoma City, which he called the state's top economic engine.

"This will fine tune that economic engine and keep it at high speed," Henry said.

Gary Ridley, director of the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, hailed work by U.S. Sen. Inhofe, U.S. Reps. Ernest Istook, Frank Lucas and others in advancing the project. Istook and Lucas attended the ceremony.

Inhofe was unable to attend but sent a representative. In a statement, Inhofe said progress and jobs require a solid transportation system and I-40 is at the heart of the Oklahoma system.

"The Crosstown Expressway is the biggest bridge in the state and it's needed this fix for an awfully long time," Inhofe said. "It's gratifying to play a key role in something that helps so many Oklahomans and will bring so many visitors here."

Istook, in his remarks, said the dedication was a milestone in the city and state's economic development.

He also noted that all of the $300 million committed for the project so far comes from the federal government.

"Governor and mayor, it's time that we have some other people join in the partnership for funding," he said to Henry and Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett. He said state and city officials had been cooperative but "haven't written the checks."

Henry later said the state was fully committed to filling any gaps in funding for the project and seeing that it is finished in a timely fashion.

The dedication was held near the Land Run Monument on the eastern edge of downtown near where one of three bridges will be built over the Bricktown Canal.

Construction of the bridges is expected to take about a year and will allow the city to complete plans to connect the north and south ends of the canal. The next phase of the project will be a temporary railroad bridge for the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway.

Ridley said entire project will take about three years to complete.

Pete
11-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Construction begins on I-40 Crosstown Expressway

OKLAHOMA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Monday, November 14, 2005
PR# 05-063

For more information contact:
Brenda Perry or Terri Angier
(405) 521-6000 or 919-6006 (cell)

With the ceremonial turn of a spade, state and federal officials, along with business and civic leaders Monday, Nov. 14, kicked off construction on the new Interstate 40 Crosstown Expressway. The ceremony kicked off a project that will give commuters 10 lanes of smooth highway and a new boulevard into downtown.

The groundbreaking was the culmination of 10 years of preparation by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation and partnership with city and community leaders, neighborhood groups, congressional leaders and federal transportation officials. The I-40 Crosstown is the state’s largest transportation project and holds national significance as one of the nation’s few all-weather, coast-to-coast routes.

The ceremony was held on the corridor’s east end where the first construction is set to begin. Many dignitaries joined city leaders and state and federal transportation officials for the celebration including U.S. Senator James Inhofe, Congressmen Earnest Istook and Frank Lucas, Governor Brad Henry and Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett.

In his role as Master of Ceremonies, ODOT Director Gary Ridley described this day as monumental and a celebration of the work of many people in preparing for the future.

“Ten years of preparation went into today,” Ridley said. “When you consider all the community meetings, all of the engineering and all of the work to secure funding, literally thousands of people have committed an incredible amount of time and effort already. Now, the real excitement begins as we watch the construction unfold.”

Inhofe said that providing funding for I-40 project took a great deal of effort from the entire Oklahoma Congressional delegation.

“When we began putting together the highway bill, we knew we had certain specific projects that must be included. Needless to say, the I-40 Crosstown was one of those high priority items for Oklahoma,” Inhofe said. “My support for this project dates back to 1997 when I brought Bud Schuster, then the Chairman of the House Transportation Committee, down to Oklahoma City to view the need for this project first hand. I want to commend everyone involved in this process on their hard work and I am pleased that we can now commence construction on this historic project for the citizens of Oklahoma City.”

Istook said the project is necessary, particularly for the state’s economic development efforts.

“Progress and jobs require a solid transportation system, and I-40 is at the heart of that system for Oklahoma,” he said. “The Crosstown Expressway is the biggest bridge in the state, and it’s needed this fix for an awfully long time. It’s gratifying to play a key role in something that helps so many Oklahomans, and will help bring so many visitors here.”

The new ten-lane expressway is designed to carry up to 173,000 vehicles per day, replacing the badly worn stretch of I-40 through downtown Oklahoma City. The existing expressway between May Avenue and the Ft. Smith junction was originally designed to carry 72,000 vehicles per day, although it now carries nearly 120,000 per day.

Henry noted building the artery will generate economic benefits for the state and nation.

“This is a great day for Oklahoma. This historic initiative will vastly improve a vital link in the state’s and the nation’s highway system, generating both short-term and long-term economic benefits for Oklahoma.

“From its very beginning some 10 years ago, this project has been a partnership involving many different entities and people on the federal, state and local levels. While this critical national highway link is not yet fully funded, the state of Oklahoma is committed to finding the resources necessary to finish the project. Make no mistake; the Crosstown project will be completed in a timely manner, with the state of Oklahoma continuing to work closely with its local and federal partners to make sure the job is done right.”

The very first construction is a $6.8 million contract to build three bridges over the Bricktown Canal. Muskogee Bridge Co. is the contractor. Construction of the bridges over the Bricktown Canal is expected take about a year and will allow the city to complete plans to connect the north and south ends of the canal. The next phase of the project, a temporary railroad bridge for the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe, is expected to go to contract in early 2006 for an estimated cost of $7 million.

Cornett said the groundbreaking opens a new era in the development of downtown Oklahoma City. He said the highway is vital not only to Oklahoma but also to the nation.

“I am excited to see the dirt turning on this long awaited project. This groundbreaking helps mark the beginning of a new era in downtown planning and development,” Cornett said. “I-40 is a significant transportation corridor for, not only Oklahoma City, but for the United States. My thanks to the many, many people who have been involved in the engineering, land use planning and funding of this vital project.”

The four-mile stretch of new highway will be a combination of on-the-ground or semi-depressed roadway, rather than the elevated thoroughfare. In addition, the existing bridge will be replaced with a newly constructed downtown boulevard.

As currently planned, the new boulevard will give commuters 12 access points to the downtown area. It will be a tree lined strip that planners expect will provide a good first impression for visitors.

“The I-40 Crosstown Expressway project is crucial to business development in Oklahoma City,” said Fred Hall, Chairman of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber. “This highway is at the very heart of our city, at the crossroads of the nation. By strengthening that center, we make a commitment to supporting the growth of commerce for many years to come. This highway is a primary artery for our burgeoning downtown, the Oklahoma City National Memorial and our worldwide corporate headquarters.”

The I-40 Crosstown, estimated at $360 million, is expected to be complete in 2008 with construction of the new boulevard taking an additional two years. The timetable could be affected by availability of funding.

BDP
11-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Could this be our "big dig"?

Obviously not as big a project as that, but what are the chances we get all of the money and get it done on time?

I'm fearing a successful move of the freeway, only to be left with the old one decaying on its own.

I know that's pessimistic of me, but I am always skeptical of DOT projects.

jbrown84
11-14-2005, 04:41 PM
What is a "big dig"?

windowphobe
11-14-2005, 04:50 PM
The reference is to Boston's Central Artery/Tunnel Project, which really was much, much bigger.

Background here:
http://www.masspike.com/bigdig/background/index.html

Pete
11-14-2005, 05:00 PM
I've come to peace with this...

It's going to happen, so I'm starting to look forward to that old, ugly structure coming down and think with so much positive momentum in the downtown area, the boulevard will get built and done right.

It's a strange feeling to have some trust in local leaders. :)

writerranger
11-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Three years? Anybody here like to wager on that?

Like Malibu, I have finally accepted the new Crosstown is going to happen. I liked some of the alternatives better, but hopefully the boulevard will be nice and I'll end up thinking I was wrong.

travis
11-14-2005, 07:56 PM
There is no way they can get this done in three years. I would say at least five. My understanding is that the final design isn't even complete. And they don't have near the money they need yet. I think they are just starting the bridges now because the city really wants to extend the canal through. Funny they said three bridges though, last I heard it was going to be one wide bridge "the tunnel of love". Doing three makes a lot more sence though.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new boulevard too. However, a lot of the existing elevated portion (from Classen to the west) is going to remain in place for it. If the city takes possesion of it, they better budget the extra money to maintain it.

jbrown84
11-14-2005, 08:42 PM
I don't know a whole lot about what the alternatives to this were. Can anybody tell me a little about that?

Also, I'm unclear on something. Is Union Station being torn down for the new crosstown or is it just the rail yard behind it?

travis
11-14-2005, 09:19 PM
There were originally several alternative alignments when this project was first brought up about ten years ago. The paper showed quite a few, all of which ran to the south of the current I40. Alternate "D" was picked fairly quickly, probably because the ROW was cheapest and there would be fewer displacements. From what I understand, the city didn't like it because it reduced access to downtown. To get them to sign off, the boulevard was proposed.

The station building itself is going to stay, but the rail yard will go except for one or two tracks. Unfortunately, I think the rail line that goes from this station to the Stockyards and on to the airport will be cut off.

jbrown84
11-14-2005, 09:36 PM
At least the building will survive. Is it just empty or is it in use?

BG918
11-14-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm interested in seeing renderings of this new blvd. through downtown. I hope it is 4 lanes max. like Reno and heavily landscaped, with urban buildings lining it on both sides of the street like other downtown avenues. This will be one of the main access points for people coming into downtown/Bricktown, it should be done right.

jbrown84
11-14-2005, 10:01 PM
I believe the articles say it will be tree lined, which is good. I would like to see a nice wide median and maybe a traffic circle somewhere along it, and Myriad Gardens expanded south to meet it. I also think I read that it will be six lanes.

travis
11-14-2005, 10:04 PM
COPTA currently owns it and uses as their office. I got a tour of it last year; it looks pretty good on the inside. They put some offices in the middle of the old lobby, but they look like they could be removed pretty easily.

I recently saw a schematic of the boulevard. It was a couple of years old, but showed there to be two lanes per direction, with various right and left turn lanes. It had signalized intersections at all of the major downtown streets from Classen to Shields, and merged in to the existing crosstown bridge after that. The median was pretty wide, and the current COPTA fixed guideway study shows possible light rail or streetcars running in it.

okrednk
11-15-2005, 02:37 AM
city to complete plans to connect the north and south ends of the canal.

What kind of plans are there? Anyone have any pics?

As currently planned, the new boulevard will give commuters 12 access points to the downtown area. It will be a tree lined strip that planners expect will provide a good first impression for visitors.

Are there any drawings or plans available to look at on this one?

Decious
11-15-2005, 04:19 AM
Here are some pics.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/public-info/i40-okc/pictures/I40-Relocation-Land-Use.gif

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/public-info/i40-okc/pictures/new-i40Alignment.gif

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/public-info/i40-okc/pictures/comparison.gif

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/public-info/i40-okc/pictures/New_I-40.gif

poe
11-15-2005, 08:08 AM
there was an article about this in today's amarillo paper. i'm glad it's happening...everytime i drive 40 through oklahoma city to go to fort smith, it seems even more in need of a change.

BDP
11-15-2005, 12:40 PM
I think the freeway gets done, but without all the money in place, I can see the Boulevard being the casuality if the state really kind fill in the gap. Hopefully, it all gets done and the Boulevard is as nice as it is being sold, but it is an area that I see legislators skimping on.

okrednk
11-16-2005, 02:44 AM
OKC is on the right track to improvements. I really hope I-44 will follow suite shortly after.

okcpulse
11-16-2005, 06:06 AM
The reason ODOT is looking at three years for completion is because the freeway will actually be built in a clear right of way. A typical freeway project involves widening of the freeway already in place, which involves building switch lanes so traffic can use the service roads while work is being done, putting temporary lighting in place (if required), and moving those temporary lanes as needed.

This project leaves the current I-40 inunterrupted until the connections are made to the current route. Then work can begin on bridge demolition and boulevard construction.

plmccordj
11-20-2005, 02:51 PM
What is this boulevard I keep hearing about? Is this just a renaming of the current I-40 bridge? I wish there was a zoomable map so we can see exactly the streets that our new freeway will run parallel to. All pictures that I have seen to date are hard to see exactly what streets are what.

I would like to go see exactly where the construction is beginning.

Thanks,
Paul

plmccordj
11-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Is this going to join at the Dallas junction and end at the Amarillo junction? If so, the Dallas junction could be quite large when it is done.

JOHNINSOKC
11-20-2005, 03:30 PM
It seems as thought the entire Dallas interchange would have to be totally rebuilt to accommodate the new freeway. That area needs many flyovers. When they reconstructed the Ft. Smith interchange, they made a mistake by having all the traffic coming southbound towards the Dallas junction have to get in the left lane to get onto I-35 southbound. If you are going eastbound on I-40 out of downtown on a Friday at rush hour, the traffic on westbound I-40 is jammed up between the FS junction and the DJ trying to go southbound on I-35. It's ridiculous to have that bottleneck. I hope when they rebuild the interchange at the DJ, they take that into consideration. One of these days, the construction will be on par with population growth in this city. I hope it happens sooner rather than later or we will have gridlock around here like we've never seen in OKC before.

poe
11-20-2005, 08:02 PM
i always thought the dallas interchange was somewhat smaller compared to other 'major' interchanges in other cities similar to oklahoma city's size. hopefully the traffic situation will improve and okc's freeways won't end up like austin's.

jbrown84
11-20-2005, 10:42 PM
plmccordj, I believe a small portion (west end) of the boulevard will still be elevated, but most of it will be ground level, tree lined with a median, and with stoplights at the major streets like Hudson, Harvey, Robinson, E.K. Gaylord, etc.