View Full Version : Bed Bath And Beyond

Pages : [1] 2

jn1780
01-27-2023, 06:27 AM
It doesn't look like Bed Bath and Beyond is going to survive another year. Maybe Bed Bath and Gone?

It would be another case of a retailer failing to adapt to an online world.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/business/bed-bath-and-beyond-debts/index.html

corwin1968
01-27-2023, 06:52 AM
I'm a kitchen supply geek but their stores are atrocious. Way too small and crowded for the amount of merchandise they carry.

dheinz44
01-27-2023, 07:18 AM
Its also ridiculously overpriced imo. I can go to target and get the same items for about the same quality and at a better price.

TheTravellers
01-27-2023, 07:46 AM
I'm a kitchen supply geek but their stores are atrocious. Way too small and crowded for the amount of merchandise they carry.

Their latest remodel of the 63rd/May store seemed to take their inventory down a few notches, so there's not nearly as much in the store. But the selection of things they kept wasn't great (only one or two brands of sheets (their own, of course), etc.), and they were actually out of a lot of things when we last went in. So yeah, still not great management of inventory in the physical store.

Jeepnokc
01-27-2023, 08:13 AM
Their latest remodel of the 63rd/May store seemed to take their inventory down a few notches, so there's not nearly as much in the store. But the selection of things they kept wasn't great (only one or two brands of sheets (their own, of course), etc.), and they were actually out of a lot of things when we last went in. So yeah, still not great management of inventory in the physical store.

I was there right before xmas and was shocked at how little diversity of inventory they carried. They like to use coupons heavily but the list of exclusions on the coupons make them difficult to use. They carry a lot of Ugg products though which my family likes which is why I was there. All Ugg products were excluded on coupons.

barrettd
01-27-2023, 08:16 AM
I was there right before xmas and was shocked at how little diversity of inventory they carried. They like to use coupons heavily but the list of exclusions on the coupons make them difficult to use. They carry a lot of Ugg products though which my family likes which is why I was there. All Ugg products were excluded on coupons.

This is the biggest issue I have with them. Anything you'd actually want to buy there is excluded from the coupons. I will say they gave me a heck of a deal on a mispriced Miele vacuum a few months ago.

jn1780
01-27-2023, 08:39 AM
Its also ridiculously overpriced imo. I can go to target and get the same items for about the same quality and at a better price.

My wife and I got very little from wedding registry there in 2015. Got a lot of things from our Target registry though.

April in the Plaza
01-27-2023, 10:01 AM

Exactly. Would much rather get our knives and pots at sur la tablé or culinary kitchen.

Jeepnokc
02-01-2023, 07:22 AM
Closing 87 more stores but none in Oklahoma

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/business/bed-bath-beyond-closures-list/index.html

SomeGuy
02-08-2023, 01:46 PM
Bed bath and Beyond is closing their Moore and Norman stores as well as two Tulsa locations . https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna69570

Jeepnokc
02-08-2023, 07:38 PM
Bed bath and Beyond is closing their Moore and Norman stores as well as two Tulsa locations . https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna69570

I saw yesterday they added 150 stores to be closed in addition to the 87 previously announced a week ago but couldn't find the list of stores added.

chssooner
02-08-2023, 08:31 PM
Man, will any stores survive?

Ward
02-08-2023, 08:54 PM
^^^ Probably not.

I was a fairly loyal Linens'n'Things customer (over by the Belle Isle wallymart area) when they closed up and went gone bye.

I then became a quite loyal Bed Bath & Beyond customer for 10 or 12 years. BB&B had good stock, good choices, decent service, the 20% off coupons were great, I spent a ton of money with them.

They're probably wondering why they're in a hand basket and where they're going, but things change, and they don't have the inventory to sell, Amazong is picking up more customers, etc, many other factors, but I am not optimistic that BB&B will survive.

That's a shame.

Edmond Hausfrau
02-08-2023, 08:59 PM

L.L. Bean, Tiffany, and your corner nail salon will outlive the next 2-3 generations.
If you mean, will BBB stores survive? Nope.

poe
02-09-2023, 03:53 AM
Moore, Norman, and two stores in Tulsa on the list.

gjl
02-09-2023, 09:54 AM

It's their own fault for changing what the stores were pre pandemic. I went to one post pandemic and decided there was no reason to ever go back to one.

bombermwc
02-13-2023, 06:41 AM
Does anyone actually go to BBB anymore? I mean, they were overpriced and had you so crammed in there. They never really made a push to make online a practical thing either.

I'm not going to miss the one in Moore, but i'll go see if they have some things on sale as they close.

oklip955
02-13-2023, 08:32 AM
When people shop TJMaxx/Homegoods/Marshals and get much better prices on a lot ot times better quality then why go there?? Add in Amazon and other large on line shopping with much better selection, then again, why go there? I went a few times lately and they did not have what I needed.

bombermwc
02-27-2023, 07:02 AM
So i went to the one in Moore on Sunday. It's at 20-40% of rates right now. I suspect that they never really restocked the store before it was officially announced that it was closing. There was already about 1/2 the stock in the store that I would normally have expected in a BBB, if not less. And what was there, was less quality. As said above, it seems they migrated to mostly their in-store brand of things and it's cheap. Honestly, i can get nicer stuff for the same price at Target or Walmart these days.

I put a few things in my basket in the search of a good deal, but put most of them back. If they can't be returned, i dont want to be stuck with them at on only 20% off. $300 nonstick nice cooksets are just an OK deal, but it's not Calphalon so I passed. Heck, Marshalls has Calphalon pans for $20 regularly. Had a comforter, but when we went to go try to get some curtains and rods to match, all they had were the 1/4" cheap ones. So back the comforter went on the shelf too.

So I did end up walking out with a 16 place setting of Oneida flatware. And that was a pretty good deal for a quality product, but it was basically all gone after i got my two sets.

I may go back in a few weeks to see if that cookware is on 50%+ off and still there, but otherwise, meh. It was a pretty disappointing first couple of weeks of closing sales. Honestly, i saw more activity as KMarts were closing around town. At least those stores had stock in them when they were closing. BBB (at least the Moore one) had of have been already thin. So it's a "meh" deal.

Just the facts
02-27-2023, 09:01 AM
On a side note, this is how Operation Rolling Ghetto (the natural course of urban sprawl) gets started. When these big box stores close it leaves the shopping centers without an anchor tennant and very seldom do they get back filled because any potential new tennants just go to the new shopping center a few miles away. Then it becomes Halloween stores, close out stores, and eventually Goodwills. In 15 years repeat the process down the street.

scottk
02-27-2023, 05:22 PM
On a side note, this is how Operation Rolling Ghetto (the natural course of urban sprawl) gets started. When these big box stores close it leaves the shopping centers without an anchor tennant and very seldom do they get back filled because any potential new tennants just go to the new shopping center a few miles away. Then it becomes Halloween stores, close out stores, and eventually Goodwills. In 15 years repeat the process down the street.

This is encouraging for the planned Big Box Center at NW178th and Portland, but you're not wrong.

bombermwc
02-28-2023, 07:14 AM
BBB isn't a big box store though. Kmart was a big box store. They're the same size as a Borders/Barnes and Noble/etc. Typical strip mall slot. They are in absolutely no danger of not being able to refill these spots with something that is probably going to be more successful.

Honestly, i think OKC and the burbs have done pretty well in being able to demo or re-fill even those big stores like the old Walmarts and Kmarts. They have either been converted, split up, or razed for something new all over town.

And honestly, if you look at the Goodwill page, most of those stores these days are in just a typical strip mall location. But i would hardly consider BBB an "anchor" tenant anywhere they are.

traxx
03-03-2023, 12:15 PM
I haven't kept up with bbb so I don't know if ownership has changed or leadership/ceo has changed but I went into one a few years back and it was not the same store I remembered.

In the 90s and early 2000s it had decent stuff, the design and layout seemed to be well thought out and items arranged in an appealing manner. After having not been in several years I was surprised to find it looking overstuffed with a lot of what appeared to be junk items. It's as if someone took the the crap you see at the checkout area of stores and made a whole business out of it. There looked to be no rhyme or reason to how the layout was done. Things just jammed in here and there just because.

kukblue1
03-03-2023, 12:50 PM
Went to the one on 63th last Thursday about 3pm and ghost town. I was the only one in there. Also first time in a few years been in one and noticed it's mostly bedding now. They didn't seem to have any cool gadgets all over the place like they used too.

gjl
03-03-2023, 01:56 PM
Like I said earlier in this thread, Pre and post Covid BB&B are two completely different stores as far as the layout and what they stock now. I think the stores completely closed for a while in 2020. I used to go in there with a handful of 20% off one item coupons. They had expiration dates on them but in reality they never expired. You could use as many at one time as you had items and coupons. Haven't been mailed one of those coupons since before Covid. But even if they still sent them out, per what they stock now there is no reason for me to shop there.

Jeepnokc
03-03-2023, 06:21 PM
I haven't kept up with bbb so I don't know if ownership has changed or leadership/ceo has changed but I went into one a few years back and it was not the same store I remembered.

In the 90s and early 2000s it had decent stuff, the design and layout seemed to be well thought out and items arranged in an appealing manner. After having not been in several years I was surprised to find it looking overstuffed with a lot of what appeared to be junk items. It's as if someone took the the crap you see at the checkout area of stores and made a whole business out of it. There looked to be no rhyme or reason to how the layout was done. Things just jammed in here and there just because.

Always struck me as the place you go to find the "As seen on TV" merchandise

LocoAko
03-04-2023, 09:46 AM
Went to the one on 63th last Thursday about 3pm and ghost town. I was the only one in there. Also first time in a few years been in one and noticed it's mostly bedding now. They didn't seem to have any cool gadgets all over the place like they used too.

The only reason we still went was to exchange our CO2 cartridges for our Sodastream, and when we went last weekend to do it they weren't even doing that anymore. It had gotten frustrating in that they did away with all but one manned check out, but you can't do the cartridge exchange at the self-checkout. That's probably the last time we'll ever step foot in there, sadly, as we look for a new exchange option.

catch22
03-04-2023, 09:57 AM
Always struck me as the place you go to find the "As seen on TV" merchandise

True. But they did have some nicer stuff in there as well, between all of the Shark Tank gimmicks. I remember that was my first step up while climbing the economic ladder after stabilizing from moving out. Moving from Walmart and Target household items (bedding, dish sets, silverware etc.) to stuff we could afford from Bed Bath and Beyond.

barrettd
03-05-2023, 01:49 PM
The only reason we still went was to exchange our CO2 cartridges for our Sodastream, and when we went last weekend to do it they weren't even doing that anymore. It had gotten frustrating in that they did away with all but one manned check out, but you can't do the cartridge exchange at the self-checkout. That's probably the last time we'll ever step foot in there, sadly, as we look for a new exchange option.

Good to know. I decided to finally start shipping mine in for exchange since I now have enough canisters to get free shipping.

traxx
03-08-2023, 11:15 AM
Like I said earlier in this thread, Pre and post Covid BB&B are two completely different stores as far as the layout and what they stock now.

Last time I went was pre covid. Maybe 2018 or somewhere around there. It was pretty terrible then. If it's worse now, I can't imagine. Like someone said earlier, it's the kind of place that sells as seen on TV stuff.

gjl
03-08-2023, 12:44 PM
Last time I went was pre covid. Maybe 2018 or somewhere around there. It was pretty terrible then. If it's worse now, I can't imagine. Like someone said earlier, it's the kind of place that sells as seen on TV stuff.

They only had some of that kind of stuff up by the cash registers. The rest of the store always had a large selection of Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom merchandise. Also a good selection of small kitchen appliances, utensils, pots/pans, cutlery. It was a nice store to shop in for years before Covid.

Bill Robertson
03-08-2023, 01:59 PM
I agree with you. Before COVID there was about a 20 by 40 foot area in front of the store that really wasn't home stuff. Just as seen on TV type stuff.

Jeepnokc
04-23-2023, 08:39 AM
Looks like the curtain is dropping on this one

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/23/business/bed-bath-beyond-bankruptcy/index.html

Use your coupons now

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/23/business/bed-bath-beyond-coupon-future/index.html

scottk
04-23-2023, 05:07 PM
This will open three more vacant big box stores.

Edmond - 2nd and Bryant
OKC - 63rd and May
Norman - I-35 and Lindsey/Main

Party City also announced bankruptcy earlier this year.

Kohls had their debt rating downgraded by Moody's.

Yet, we continue to build big box stores, including a brand new big box center at 178th and Portland.

SomeGuy
04-23-2023, 05:45 PM
The weird thing is they just remodeled that May Ave location not too long ago.

bombermwc
04-24-2023, 07:14 AM
The weird thing is they just remodeled that May Ave location not too long ago.

But what the company has been putting into the stores for the last 5 years has been crap. They didn't pivot well during COVID. They lowered the quality of their product offerings and to be honest, you can get the same stuff at Target/Walmart these days in a lot of the cases. They became a brand that no longer differentiated themselves from the competitors. Think KMart. Bad management and poor offerings comes out as bankruptcy.

I think Kohls will still be able to bounce back, but it really depends on if they maintain a certain level of product. If they do what Penny's did and start cheapening things, then they also won't stand out and will suffer the same fate. I think they over planned that having people come in for Amazon returns was going to get them more in sales as people walked out (it didn't happen). I used that coupon a couple of times to get a couple small things here and there where I spend $1 or 2, but the can't survive on that scrap. I mean when i get workout gear that's already on clearance, for $1....hey that's a win for me :)

But before we go panicking about big box spaces being empty, there really are very few of these left empty for long around the city. They're either razed and rebuilt as something else, split up, or just flat re-leased. But I wouldn't consider BBB a big-box either. Walmart is a big box. BBB is an oversized strip mall slip. Michaels, for example, would easily fit into that space. So i'm not worried in the least about the handful of BBB spots being gobbled up.

mugofbeer
04-24-2023, 12:29 PM
I always liked BBB. But the products can be bought elsewhere.

kukblue1
04-24-2023, 01:03 PM
Kohl's next? Went in there for the first time in about 2 years. Their prices are crazy expensive selection is so so.

Ward
04-24-2023, 02:14 PM
I'm surprised that Penney's is still in business. Shocked, actually.

soonergolfer
04-24-2023, 02:40 PM
I wish the PGA Superstore would consider going in this location instead of Memorial & May/Penn area.

Jersey Boss
04-24-2023, 03:10 PM
This will open three more vacant big box stores.

Edmond - 2nd and Bryant
OKC - 63rd and May
Norman - I-35 and Lindsey/Main

Party City also announced bankruptcy earlier this year.

Kohls had their debt rating downgraded by Moody's.

Yet, we continue to build big box stores, including a brand new big box center at 178th and Portland.

The Norman BBB was closed the last downsizing.

OKCisOK4me
04-24-2023, 08:16 PM
Looks like the curtain is dropping on this one

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/23/business/bed-bath-beyond-bankruptcy/index.html

Use your coupons now

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/23/business/bed-bath-beyond-coupon-future/index.html

I'm a hoarder of BBB coupons cause even with, their crap is too expensive. Big Lots all the way!

Jeepnokc
04-25-2023, 07:37 PM
Interesting article

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/25/business/bed-bath-beyond-share-repurchases/index.html

TheTravellers
04-25-2023, 08:36 PM
Interesting article

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/25/business/bed-bath-beyond-share-repurchases/index.html

Sadly, happens all the time now, capitalism run amok.

Plutonic Panda
04-25-2023, 09:59 PM
Kohl's next? Went in there for the first time in about 2 years. Their prices are crazy expensive selection is so so.
The Kohl’s thing saddens me the most. They used to be really good. Clean stores. Happy employees. Cool products. The Kohl’s cash and coupons were very useful. It’s like they just stopped caring. I was shocked last time I went to the Edmond location.

Just the facts
04-26-2023, 07:51 AM
Sadly, happens all the time now, capitalism run amok.

Wall Street isn't capitalism. It is a virus destroying any economic system it touches.

TheTravellers
04-26-2023, 08:12 AM
Wall Street isn't capitalism. It is a virus destroying any economic system it touches.

Yes, agreed, that's why I added "amok". :)

Rover
04-26-2023, 08:21 AM

Sorry, but it isn’t Wall Street, it’s poor management of companies, cheap money, and greedy demands from certain shareholders. Wall Street provides a necessary function for capitalism to work. The fact that greedy people play the system or make stupid decisions, and shareholders keep allowing them to do it is an indictment of everyone. It’s like people blaming the government when they keep voting in stupid and corrupt politicians because they are too lazy to work to find good representation. They problem is we all are complicit in making it happen and we keep wanting to just blame others and the institutions we barely even understand.

Just the facts
04-26-2023, 09:47 AM
They were spending all their money to prop up their stock price to keep institutional investors happy. How is that not Wall Street?

Rover
04-27-2023, 02:48 PM
What exactly is "Wall Street" in your mind? It is a huge aggregation that includes all kinds of necessary and well functioning financial services and infrastructure. The fact that individuals abuse the system to their own advantages is not an indictment of the entire system. That's as lazy as calling things "woke" because you don't exactly know what it is or what it includes. Individuals and organizations scam not only each other and their constituents through mechanisms included in in the financial system, but it doesn't damn the system, it damns those that are bad actors and those that sit around and allow it to happen. Gun owners love to say guns don't kill people, people kill people. In the same way, Wall Street doesn't harm people, people IN Wall Street harm people and people who USE Wall Street to carry out their nefarious deeds harm people. This country loves to point fingers and discredit whole institutions instead of policing the people USING the systems in an unethical or illegal way.

jn1780
04-27-2023, 03:22 PM
This is actually a case where the free market is working. If they were a major bank we would be paying for their mistakes with a bailout.

Jersey Boss
04-27-2023, 06:22 PM
Nm. Kerry already posted the point I was going to make.

Ward
04-27-2023, 06:55 PM
What we need is a really good Bird Bath & Beyond store.

Bird Baths, bird feeders, nesters and such, giving us a much larger and better selection would be awesome.

Sort of like Spatula City.

scottk
04-28-2023, 05:30 PM
Hobby Lobby is supposedly already eyeing locations to take over from Bed Bath and Beyond.

If the school voucher program passes in Oklahoma, I could see them easily expanding their Mardel brand that caters to small private and home schools.

bombermwc
05-01-2023, 07:30 AM
That one doesn't help the Moore location, since Mardels and Hobby Lobby are in the same shopping center as BBB lol. But i'm not worried at all about something coming in to fill it.

SomeGuy
05-02-2023, 07:20 AM
On a related note Tuesday Morning is closing down all their stores https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2023/tuesday-morning-shuts-doors-retail-bankruptcies/amp/

barrettd
05-02-2023, 08:45 AM
On a related note Tuesday Morning is closing down all their stores https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2023/tuesday-morning-shuts-doors-retail-bankruptcies/amp/

This one is unfortunate, more than BB&B, for me. We have one near my house, and it's great for random stuff. We've bought small pieces of furniture from there, as well. I'm guessing the Crate store near me might be on the way out, as well, if the business model of reselling overstock stuff is also going by the wayside.

Just the facts
05-02-2023, 09:08 AM
This one is unfortunate, more than BB&B, for me. We have one near my house, and it's great for random stuff. We've bought small pieces of furniture from there, as well. I'm guessing the Crate store near me might be on the way out, as well, if the business model of reselling overstock stuff is also going by the wayside.

I recently read an article on the financial troubles at Big Lots and I'm sure it applies to the entire overstock and discount retail industry. Inflation has simply made their discounted items to expensive for an increasing percentage of their customers.

bombermwc
05-03-2023, 07:20 AM
I recently read an article on the financial troubles at Big Lots and I'm sure it applies to the entire overstock and discount retail industry. Inflation has simply made their discounted items to expensive for an increasing percentage of their customers.

I dont think the Marshalls/Homegoods/Ross company is having the same issue. For that matter, i dont THINK Burlington is either. My issue with BigLots is that it's always so inconsistent on being half empty and crammed where you can barely walk. And the products there tend to be cheaper. I haven't experienced the same thing at the other places. I've gotten so much Calphalon cookware at Marshalls for sooooo much less than at Target. I mean 1/4 or 1/5 of the price. Now, can i walk in and get the pan i am looking for today? No. I have to make multiple trips to see what shows up. But danged if i haven't been able to create an entire line myself over the last year that way for 1/5 of the market price. :)

Anecdotally, the stores of these brands that I have been in, are consistently busy. I have not regularly visited the 240 Burlington (it's inside floor space was reduced by quite a bit from the full KMart footprint with some temporary wall structures), but even that rough one is pretty busy.

Like department stores, i think it's a matter of what range you're in and how you're managed.

Just the facts
05-03-2023, 08:50 AM
Granted it seems a little counter-intuitive because in times of higher prices it seems like off-price and close outvretailers should do better, and certainly every financial news outlet touts that point of view, but reality isn't complying with it as multiple retailers in the segment are going out of business

Sales at Ross are down 3.9% in the first quarter and that is with inflated pricess so actual number of units sold is way way down.

Inflation hits the bottom of the income earners the hardest and that is the core customer of these chains. Add on top of that, these consumers have no where else to go except the Goodwills and yard sales.

On a final note, Ross is following BB&B strategy of buying back stock so we'll see how that works out once they have to replenish their inventory with higher priced items.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-ross-stores-rost-down-153003388.html