View Full Version : Concrete Sidewalk

Zuplar
11-15-2022, 10:29 AM
I have a concrete sidewalk around my house, and one of the sections has sunk some, becoming a tripping hazard. I called Vesta Solutions because I saw their commercial that uses foam to push it up. I've seen this on the internet and it seemed to work well and be affordable for those people. Unfortunately for whatever reason Vesta is what I would call, unreasonable. They quoted $1700 to fix what is maybe a 2 foot by 2 foot section of sidewalk. I got to imagine someone would chip it out and repour for cheaper or the very least the same price.

But this leads me to the question, does anyone know of a reasonable priced solution? Thanks in advance for any insight.

DowntownMan
11-15-2022, 10:36 AM
I have a concrete sidewalk around my house, and one of the sections has sunk some, becoming a tripping hazard. I called Vesta Solutions because I saw their commercial that uses foam to push it up. I've seen this on the internet and it seemed to work well and be affordable for those people. Unfortunately for whatever reason Vesta is what I would call, unreasonable. They quoted $1700 to fix what is maybe a 2 foot by 2 foot section of sidewalk. I got to imagine someone would chip it out and repour for cheaper or the very least the same price.

But this leads me to the question, does anyone know of a reasonable priced solution? Thanks in advance for any insight.

I had a 5 by 4 concrete pad added on side of my house for my garbage bins and it was $400 I think
Your cheapest option would be to have a section of sidewalk replaced and then it will just be a couple hundred dollars.

Pete
11-15-2022, 10:40 AM
I had a 5 by 4 concrete pad added on side of my house for my garbage bins and it was $400 I think
Your cheapest option would be to have a section of sidewalk replaced and then it will just be a couple hundred dollars.

Who did you use?

Would you recommend them?

Zuplar
11-15-2022, 11:00 AM

Yeah sounds like it. Baffling that tearing out and repouring as opposed to just raising is cheaper. If you have a recommendation I'd appreciate it. I don't know who to call and the other people I called said end of January before I could get an estimate.

DowntownMan
11-15-2022, 03:50 PM
https://alexsconstruction.com/

It was a few years ago shortly after I built my house it held up well and have no complaints.

catch22
11-15-2022, 05:19 PM
They probably didn’t want such a small job, so that is pricing in the opportunity cost of them tying up a crew for a few hours when they could be working a larger job with better margins. I bet if you had an entire driveway the cost would probably be similar to just that small section.

gjl
11-15-2022, 05:25 PM
A few years ago I used Vesta to level multiple sections of my driveway and fill all the joints and multiple cracks within the sections with a special caulk they use. This is a 100 ft long straight driveway and a rather large circle drive. Some sections were a full inch or more higher at the joints. They grind out the cracks before they fill them. They also filled some cracks in my front porch. it took 2 workers two days to complete the job. Cost was right around $11K. I am really happy with the results and the caulk is holding up extremely well and is still bonding to all the sections everywhere it was used. I got an estimate on removal and replacement of the entire driveway and circle drive and my good guy deal from a friend that does concrete work was going to be $28K.

Bellaboo
11-15-2022, 06:01 PM
The state had someone go around the capitol complex a few years ago and every place that was a trip hazard on a sidewalk was ground with a planning tool of some kind. Just a single man spent about a month and it worked fine.

GaryOKC6
11-17-2022, 08:20 AM
About 3 bags of quickcrete and a couple hours cost about 15 bucks is you like to DIY. I have done several at my home.

Zuplar
11-17-2022, 10:09 AM
About 3 bags of quickcrete and a couple hours cost about 15 bucks is you like to DIY. I have done several at my home.

I had really thought about that, but I'm afraid I'm not able to finish it as well as someone who does this, and my wife isn't going to accept it not matching considering it's on the front of my house.

Rover
11-17-2022, 10:18 AM
I had really thought about that, but I'm afraid I'm not able to finish it as well as someone who does this, and my wife isn't going to accept it not matching considering it's on the front of my house.

It isn't hard.

Zuplar
11-18-2022, 12:58 PM
I wanted to follow up for anyone that may have something similar.

Someone further up suggested that maybe I wasn't giving them enough business and I may be paying for missed revenue. This was an incorrect assumption as I also had Vesta quote me on a much larger section that is sunk as well.

Job = 2 sunken pieces of concrete, 1 sidewalk, 1 driveway

Vesta = $3800 (leave existing concrete and lift)
Richards custom concrete = $1700 (tear out and replace with new concrete/rebar)
4 Brothers = $1650 (tear out and replace with new concrete/rebar)

It's a no brainer to me, I'll be picking one of the concrete guys. Maybe if I had a custom stamped concrete or something fancier than standard concrete, it's possible Vesta would be the cheaper option. But IMO their solution makes zero sense for my situation.

Bill Robertson
11-18-2022, 02:21 PM
I wanted to follow up for anyone that may have something similar.

Someone further up suggested that maybe I wasn't giving them enough business and I may be paying for missed revenue. This was an incorrect assumption as I also had Vesta quote me on a much larger section that is sunk as well.

Job = 2 sunken pieces of concrete, 1 sidewalk, 1 driveway

Vesta = $3800 (leave existing concrete and lift)
Richards custom concrete = $1700 (tear out and replace with new concrete/rebar)
4 Brothers = $1650 (tear out and replace with new concrete/rebar)

It's a no brainer to me, I'll be picking one of the concrete guys. Maybe if I had a custom stamped concrete or something fancier than standard concrete, it's possible Vesta would be the cheaper option. But IMO their solution makes zero sense for my situation.This us helpful. There's a about a two foot wide "transition" from an expansion joint to the garage floor the whole width of our two car garage. The garage side has sunk to the point there's about a inch and a half to two inch step up to get in the garage. It's annoying. I'd seen Vesta ads and thought about contacting them but now I won't bother.

Cowboy99
11-18-2022, 10:34 PM
FYI, OKC has a sidewalk replacement program that could help with the cost of repair. https://www.okc.gov/departments/public-works/resident-community-resources/sidewalk-repair-replacement-program#:~:text=OKC's%20Sidewalk%20Repair%20and%20 Replacement,of%20repairing%20or%20replacing%20it.

Teo9969
11-20-2022, 07:45 PM
In my experience, Vesta is INCREDIBLY proud of what they offer. They couldn't get below like 175% the cost of Ram Jack for piers on my 1923 house.