View Full Version : IRS Fun

Bill Robertson
10-31-2022, 06:13 PM
We have the app to see what mail we're getting before we get it. I saw that we both were getting a letter from the IRS. Oh boy!! Nothing from the IRS is usually good but we've been to a point of not having enough deductions to itemize for a few years now so how bad could it be. They were identical letters with a long column of changes that we had supposedly requested to our 2021 return. The net tax change was zero dollars. We never requested any changes or filed an amended return so I have no idea what this was about. But since it didn't cost us anything I'm good.

April in the Plaza
11-01-2022, 05:13 AM
That sounds like identity theft. Have you seen a copy of the amended return?

Bill Robertson
11-01-2022, 06:14 AM
That sounds like identity theft. Have you seen a copy of the amended return?No. Nothing but these two letters. I'm going to contact the IRS and make sure they sent them.

Bill Robertson
11-01-2022, 11:21 AM
I'm surprised how easy it is to contact the IRS when it's not the peak of tax season. The letters are from them. They say there was a mathematical error on our joint return. But it's correction didn't change our tax liability. Not sure how there could be a mathematical error when the only three documents were one W-2 each for the two of us and one 1099 from a life insurance payment from a small policy that Mom had through the school board. And I did the taxes on HR Block online. Oh well. I guess all is good.