View Full Version : Invite Midtowner back???

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick
11-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Hey Premium Members, for those of you who remember Midtowner, we'd like to see what your opinion is of bringing him back to OKCTalk. Let us know your opinion in the poll above.

Karried
11-11-2005, 05:05 PM
I have always respected and enjoyed Midtowner's opinions.

I hope wholeheartedly that he comes back...

mranderson
11-11-2005, 05:28 PM
No way!

sweetdaisy
11-11-2005, 05:33 PM
I always liked Midtowner's input.

I wonder if he'd come back after being "retired"?

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Yes way!

Karried
11-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Scribe, that is by far the shortest post you have ever made! LOL!

I think you and Midtowner would enjoy each other's posts.... I sincerely hope he returns... he offers some great perspectives. He should be a part of the excitement surrounding the Hornets and all of the great progressive strides being made recently - he was here from the beginning. I've always missed him.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Scribe, that is by far the shortest post you have ever made! LOL!
Indeed.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/Smailies%2001-28-08/tweeted.gif

Intrepid
11-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey Premium Members, for those of you who remember Midtowner, we'd like to see what your opinion is of bringing him back to OKCTalk. Let us know your opinion in the poll above.

I don't think I was a part of OKCTalk during Midtowner's existence, but I'm all for giving people another try.

So, yes...invite him back.

Shaggy
11-11-2005, 07:49 PM
No way!
NO WAY!!!
All he did was start arguments with other posters. He was just like Scribe is now. He thinks he knows everything. I hope this is only a poll, and that it doesn't become reality.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Uh oh. Someone has violated TOS... using all caps in his post... something he pointed out to another poster in another thread. Tsk, tsk, tsk. We must practice what we preach.

Shaggy
11-11-2005, 07:52 PM
I don't think I was a part of OKCTalk during Midtowner's existence, but I'm all for giving people another try.

So, yes...invite him back.
You don't even know the guy and you want him back? I don't think your vote should count because you don't know what kind of problems he caused on this forum. That's like saying that you didn't know Hitler, but let's give him another chance. Believe me, this MidTowner character had his chances.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 07:55 PM
NO WAY!!!
All he did was start arguments with other posters. He was just like Scribe is now. He thinks he knows everything. I hope this is only a poll, and that it doesn't become reality.
In going back to read his posts (before he was banned), it seems to me that he liked to challenge ignorance, "just like Scribe" (wait, that's me!).

Shaggy
11-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Uh oh. Someone has violated TOS... using all caps in his post... something he pointed out to another poster in another thread. Tsk, tsk, tsk. We must practice what we preach.
Excuse me? If you will go back and read the TOS, the all caps rule is in the Nose Bleed Section only. You should know, because you have been a major violator. I really don't think you have ever read the TOS, you are just spouting.:poke: Plus, this is about Midtowner, not caps. Please don't hijack the thread.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 07:56 PM
You don't even know the guy and you want him back? I don't think your vote should count because you don't know what kind of problems he caused on this forum. That's like saying that you didn't know Hitler, but let's give him another chance. Believe me, this MidTowner character had his chances.
Why then, I wonder, would one of the moderators around at the time suggest allowing him to come back? Could it be that he wasn't quite as evil as you want to make him out to be?

Shaggy
11-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Why then, I wonder, would one of the moderators around at the time suggest allowing him to come back? Could it be that he wasn't quite as evil as you want to make him out to be?
He wasn't suggesting, he was asking a question. I never said he was evil, he always challenged others' opinions. He wanted all facts, no opinions, like you. Some people just like to gve their opinions, because they don't have all this time on their hands that you and MidTowner have to "research" every post you make. He ran many good posters off. So, knock yourself out and waste your time reading his posts.

Intrepid
11-11-2005, 08:02 PM

Well, I guess it's fortunate then that you have no say in what counts and doesn't count. I'm a premium member, just like you. I have the right to vote how I feel, just like you.

And the fact that you don't want him back, really makes me wish that I could pad the "yes" vote :LolLolLol J/k

BTW, Hitler? You're comparing someone who posts on a message board to someone who set out to erase an entire group of people, and nearly succeeded? Wow, that's pretty strong stuff there Shaggy. Perhaps you should lay off the scooby snacks???

:ohno:

Intrepid
11-11-2005, 08:05 PM
He wasn't suggesting, he was asking a question. I never said he was evil, he always challenged others' opinions. He wanted all facts, no opinions, like you. Some people just like to gve their opinions, because they don't have all this time on their hands that you and MidTowner have to "research" every post you make. He ran many good posters off. So, knock yourself out and waste your time reading his posts.

Opinions should be based on facts, as well as beliefs. Ignoring facts simply undermine one's arguments for/against something.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Excuse me? If you will go back and read the TOS, the all caps rule is in the Nose Bleed Section only. You should know, because you have been a major violator. I really don't think you have ever read the TOS, you are just spouting.:poke: Plus, this is about Midtowner, not caps. Please don't hijack the thread.
Not only have I read the TOS, but when I was a moderator, I helped write some of the TOS, especially for that which is in the Nose Bleed Section.

And, in re-reading the rules specifically in the Nose Bleed Section, it does not reference the usage of ALL CAPS other than in post titles.

But thanks for keeping track of my violations, Sheriff Shaggy. I'm sure the mods appreciate your help, especially since they don't seem to notice or care enough to mention it. Hmmm, I wonder why that is... perhaps because you're the only one that sees it as a violation. Sometimes the truth hurts and feels like being violated.

Shaggy
11-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Opinions should be based on facts, as well as beliefs. Ignoring facts simply undermine one's arguments for/against something.
Wrong. Opinions do not have to be based on facts. Opinions are how people feel about things. Maybe you should read the definition. I don't ignore facts, I just feel everyone has a right to their opinions, but we have others on here that do not respect opinions, they just want to spout facts. They need to loosen up and enjoy life, not be critical all of the time.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks, I did.

Some of us make time to read and "research" so that we have a factual basis that helps support our educated opinion. If you want to rely on pulling opinions out of your butt with little regard to whether or not there is any accuracy to it is entirely up to you.

Based on your description of him and my reading of his posts, he sounds like a pretty great guy. And there are plenty of veterans that have expressed a sincere desire for him to return.

Intrepid
11-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Wrong. Opinions do not have to be based on facts. Opinions are how people feel about things. Maybe you should read the definition. I don't ignore facts, I just feel everyone has a right to their opinions, but we have others on here that do not respect opinions, they just want to spout facts. They need to loosen up and enjoy life, not be critical all of the time.

Please re-read my statement. I said opinions "should" be based on facts as well as beliefs.

Everyone does have the right to their opinions, just as others have that same right to post facts.

Facts can change opinions....opinions cannot change facts.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 08:14 PM
They need to loosen up and enjoy life
Hey, I'm having the time of my life! I enjoy watching you present your factless opinions and bemoan people who tend to respect fact-based opinions more.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Facts can change opinions....opinions cannot change facts.
http://www.okctalk.com/images/Smailies%2001-28-08/congrats.gif
Finely put. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Damn those pesky facts.

Shaggy
11-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Not only have I read the TOS, but when I was a moderator, I helped write some of the TOS, especially for that which is in the Nose Bleed Section.

And, in re-reading the rules specifically in the Nose Bleed Section, it does not reference the usage of ALL CAPS other than in post titles.

But thanks for keeping track of my violations, Sheriff Shaggy. I'm sure the mods appreciate your help, especially since they don't seem to notice or care enough to mention it. Hmmm, I wonder why that is... perhaps because you're the only one that sees it as a violation. Sometimes the truth hurts and feels like being violated.
I knew that I would have to go back and find it and post it for you because you did not read the whole thing. Ok, read this slowly:

"Do not use all caps in thread titles unless something exceedingly important (WWIII, Bush (http://www.oklahomajack.com/republican/index.php) jr. shot) is going on. Don’t use it in replies at all."
Yep, you missed that last sentence (surprise, surprise) Gee, don't you hate being proved wrong? Before you try to prove somebody wrong, you should read the whole rule, not just part of it.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Wait.... wait a minute.... did Shaggy just use facts?

Shaggy
11-11-2005, 08:21 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/Smailies%2001-28-08/congrats.gif
Finely put. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Damn those pesky facts.
I thought you claimed to be a Christian, yet you cuss in your posts. Yeah, double standards, give yourself a hand. What a witness.

Now, please get back to the topic at hand. You have taken this thread way off course (again, surprise, surprise)

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Damn, damn, damn those pesky Christian facts.

A you claim to be Christian, yet spend a lot of time pointing fingers, like in Matthew 7:1-5.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Back on topic...

YES, Midtowner should be invited back.

Intrepid
11-11-2005, 08:24 PM
I thought you claimed to be a Christian, yet you cuss in your posts. Yeah, double standards, give yourself a hand. What a witness.

Wow! That had to have been the smoothest "change of subject" I've ever seen, Shaggy. Congrats on that. I guess since you're not bogged down by facts, you're able to spend more time perfecting that move.

:congrats:

Shaggy
11-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Damn, damn, damn those pesky Christian facts.

A you claim to be Christian, yet spend a lot of time pointing fingers, like in Matthew 7:1-5.
I didn't have to point my fingers at that one. You showed who you really are with that post. Wow, you can cuss and quote scripture in the same post. How hypocritical. If you can't live it, please don't claim it. It's embarrassing for the rest of us.

:backtotop Ok, let's try this again, Mr. Scribe. Read what the smiley man is saying. I'll let you have the last word (as always), because I'm about to have a great weekend. I'll show your faults again on Monday, or else you will beat me to it.

NO MIDTOWNER, period

Intrepid
11-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Back on topic...

Absolutely.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 08:34 PM
I didn't have to point my fingers at that one. You showed who you really are with that post. Wow, you can cuss and quote scripture in the same post. How hypocritical. If you can't live it, please don't claim it. It's embarrassing for the rest of us.

:backtotop Ok, let's try this again, Mr. Scribe. Read what the smiley man is saying. I'll let you have the last word (as always), because I'm about to have a great weekend. I'll show your faults again on Monday, or else you will beat me to it.

NO MIDTOWNER, period
Hypocritical? Perhaps. Kind of like telling other posters to get back on topic and then turning around and taking the thread back off topic and then again telling people to get back on topic. But, at least, I admit when I'm wrong. Damn.

To be accurate, I didn't quote scripture, I cited a scripture reference. But you didn't deny that you were guilty of pointing fingers in other posts. Please cite the scripture that tells you to show the faults of others. That will be quite educational.

Back on topic (again):
MIDTOWNER...
MIDTOWNER...
MIDTOWNER....

Doug Loudenback
11-11-2005, 08:35 PM
No way!

Well, MrAnderson, I guess you know we resume our disagreement at this point! While I have my doubts that Midtowner would return to OkcTalk if asked, I would surely love to see him return. And, that you know. He's another who would have come to your defense, don't you know?

Keith
11-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, MrAnderson, I guess you know we resume our disagreement at this point! While I have my doubts that Midtowner would return to OkcTalk if asked, I would surely love to see him return. And, that you know. He's another who would have come to your defense, don't you know?
I miss everything. I gotta quit working so late. I see ole Shaggy gave us another visit, and had some pleasant conversations with others:LolLolLol . Anyway, we are back on topic. Carry on........... I must be getting old..I feel it is already my :bedtime: .

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 08:43 PM
You're getting old, Keith.

Doug Loudenback
11-11-2005, 08:44 PM

Uh oh. A war on the verge, we have! Midtowner's "flaw" was returning assinine comments not only a logical reply but with with the same tenacity that was flung his way. That's my opinion, and I'll stick by it.

Another chance? He should be offered an apology and an invitation, since that's the "zone" you are wanting to venture into. That said, I think that he's probably at peace not having to deal with the crap which was thrown his way, and the crap throwers know who they are.

Intrepid
11-11-2005, 08:48 PM
....not be critical all of the time.

Please practice what you preach.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Please practice what you preach.
There you go again, bringing up history and facts and all. Shame on you.

Intrepid
11-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Uh oh. A war on the verge, we have! Midtowner's "flaw" was returning assinine comments not only a logical reply but with with the same tenacity that was flung his way. That's my opinion, and I'll stick by it.

Another chance? He should be offered an apology and an invitation, since that's the "zone" you are wanting to venture into. That said, I think that he's probably at peace not having to deal with the crap which was thrown his way, and the crap throwers know who they are.

That's probably what offended those that don't want him back. They like to spout off their opinions/comments and then when challenged they come back with "Oh yeah? Well you're ugly" type comments.

Intrepid
11-11-2005, 08:52 PM
There you go again, bringing up history and facts and all. Shame on you.

I'm sorry. I feel so dirty and ashamed.

:tweeted:

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Midtowner's "flaw" was returning assinine comments not only a logical reply but with with the same tenacity that was flung his way.
Oooooo.... Midtowner sounds like a bad, baaaaaad man.

Karried
11-11-2005, 08:59 PM
There are a few members (and I mean a very few) who are convinced that their knowledge base and life experiences are the only reality and truth that is of any importance. No other input, facts, ideas or ways of life are welcomed or acknowledged.

I personally feel that this is a sad and pitiful way to live. The hypocrisy is mind boggling.

Regardless of those who don't want their factless opinions disputed or challenged, there is a enormous majority of people who welcome educated discussions and debates. If you choose not to participate, feel free to refrain from doing so.

Intrepid
11-11-2005, 09:02 PM
There are a few members (and I mean a very few) who are convinced that their knowledge base and life experiences are the only reality and truth that is of any importance. No other input, facts, ideas or ways of life are welcomed or acknowledged.

I personally feel that this is a sad and pitiful way to live. The hypocrisy is mind boggling.

Regardless of those who don't want their factless opinions disputed or challenged, there is a enormous majority of people who welcome educated discussions and debates. If you choose not to participate, feel free to refrain from doing so.

But Karried, what you are asking requires the use of logic and an open mind. It's SO much easier to ignore those two things. Ignorance is bliss, remember?

Karried
11-11-2005, 09:06 PM
The funny thing about Midtowner is that he usually always causes an uproar (in a good way) and that 's why I miss him so much...... I don't think I could say the same about a few other members if they decided to leave.

Doug Loudenback
11-11-2005, 09:22 PM

NO MIDTOWNER, period

http://www.dougloudenback.com/pics/shaggy.jpg SIEG HEIL, MIEN SHAG, semi-colon

No way, no way, my mien Shag,
Will I join in your Midtowner rag
He is too cool and you are the fool
To not welcome him back and be glad.

PS. Nominated for the OkcTalk poet of the day award by the author! :irule:

Todd
11-11-2005, 09:25 PM
It's pretty easy to see where the poll is headed.

I'm uncomfortable using the words "invite back" or "second chance". With the click of a mouse the ban could be lifted. If he wants to come back and post-fine. If not that's fine too.

I think our TOS, the moderation, and administration of this site have matured to a point where issues that arise will be handled better. This is coming from the guy who banned him in the first place.

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Deja vu

Intrepid
11-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Deja vu

I actually laughed out loud on that one!

:LolLolLol :LolLolLol :LolLolLol :LolLolLol

PUGalicious
11-11-2005, 09:31 PM
It won't make sense now... he removed the duplicate post. Oh well. It's just my opinion.

Doug Loudenback
11-11-2005, 10:03 PM
It's pretty easy to see where the poll is headed.

I'm uncomfortable using the words "invite back" or "second chance". With the click of a mouse the ban could be lifted. If he wants to come back and post-fine. If not that's fine too.

I think our TOS, the moderation, and administration of this site have matured to a point where issues that arise will be handled better. This is coming from the guy who banned him in the first place.

I concur with your accounting, and give you the tip of me hat! :tiphat:

Doug Loudenback
11-11-2005, 10:22 PM
When I started putting together my downtownOKC pages/images, I think 3/2005, I didn't even know this place existed, but Google produced some image (I forget what, in the "vintage" cagetory here. Checking that out was my first tippy-toe into OkcTalk ... and at the time, Midtowner was a mainstay of this forum ... in terms of posts ... in terms of provoking thought ... and ... of course ... that means controversy. The posts which I read of his were a main "draw" for me to become involved here, which, of course, is the fact today, at least on topics which catch my fancy.

Sure, he was provocative and challenging. Though I don't know why, I've not yet publicly received that label here, though I'm not shy to speak when I care to do so ... but it's probably because I don't do so as often as he did - his interests were and are much broader than mine are. Unless I see something that irks me, or otherwise catches my attention (all may be aware of some recent exeptions vis a vis the Singles forum), I tend to stay put in just a few forum arenas. He ventured well beyond my personal points, and he was was relentless in his discussion. I just spout off and wax ad naseum every now and then. But, truth is, at 62 years of age, I don't have the astonishing breadth of knowledge (and I'm talking knowledge, not just factually unsupported opinions) on such a widely diverse group of topics/subjects as he did, he being only in his early 20s I think. His breadth of factual knowledge amazes me.

That's probably a threat to some, but it's not to me ... I love to learn, and to think, and to discuss, and, even sometimes, to change my mind, on topics that interest me. Those kinds of qualities were what made, and make, Midtowner a very very special person at OkcTalk before he was banned. I think, shortly after that same time, I came pretty close to that happening to me ... the intervention of the Downtown Guy (don't you love and miss him) averted that and the result was that I support and like this place more and more, and more than I ever did at that point in time.

So, Patrick, you asked for points of view that lapsed the old and the new. Now, you have mine ... though you've had it for several months now, don't you know. You have it again, since you asked.

Doug Loudenback
11-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Rev. Bob,

Sorry you feel that way and that you don't have it in you to countenance an aggressive difference of opinion. All you need do, in response to such posts, is to adequately or not defend your point of view. Is that asking so much?

You have been aggressive; you have been aggressive against MrAnderson; MrAnderson has been aggressive; and Shaggy has been aggressive. You have wrongfully (IMO) chastised MrAnderson on moral grounds in another thread; I haven't followed Shaggy's posts except here. But, it seems that the 3 of you have common cause.

Perhaps it would be good for the three of you to discuss your views, arrive at a past and present consensus, and then venture into the arena debating a common position ... or would that not be appropriate?

I'm also curious, since you label yourself a "Rev", what are your credentials in that respect and of/in what denomination? Are these fair questions, Rev. Bob?

Jay
11-12-2005, 12:05 AM
I think he should come back. I will admit he always annoyed the living @!#? out of me but, in restrospect I took his posts personally and took them as if it were an attack on me.

His style of arguing is not one I care for because he has a way of making you feel stupid for believing in your points of view. Not to mention he always has to have the last word.

However, with that in mind I do not think that is grounds to keep him from coming back. He strongly belives in his points of view and he has a right to express them. That is what this board is all about (people's opinions)

I think he would give Scribe, Shaggy and Rev. Bob a run for their money. No offense guys but, sometimes some of the things you do remind me of midtowner.

The most important lesson I learned from my midtowner expierence is this.

This place is just a discussion board when you get fed up stop posting on that topic and pick something else to talk about. No need to take anyone person or topic too seriously.

Doug Loudenback
11-12-2005, 12:15 AM
I think he should come back. I will admit he always annoyed the living @!#? out of me but, in restrospect I took his posts personally and took them as if it were an attack on me.

His style of arguing is not one I care for because he has a way of making you feel stupid for believing in your points of view. Not to mention he always has to have the last word.

However, with that in mind I do not think that is grounds to keep him from coming back. He strongly belives in his points of view and he has a right to express them. That is what this board is all about (people's opinions)

I think he would give Scribe, Shaggy and Rev. Bob a run for their money. No offense guys but, sometimes some of the things you do remind me of midtowner.

The most important lesson I learned from my midtowner expierence is this.

This place is just a discussion board when you get fed up stop posting on that topic and pick something else to talk about. No need to take anyone person or topic too seriously.

OklaCity_75, I think that you've summed it up well. Perhaps in the future he will avoid having to have the "last word". But, as to those who assume to think they will make "unchallenged" posts as to mores, morals, religious and/or political views which are "safe" to say (will not evoke a challenge, e.g., Rev Bob), Midtowner would not be a guy you'd want back here, because that wouldn't happen.

As it is, Midtowner is not here.

And, so, without such controversy, Rev Bob is about to post is credentials, I am sure.

Rev Bob ... the floor is yours.

Jay
11-12-2005, 06:18 AM
I think it might be a good idea for the political forums to be moved into the Nose Bleed Section. Then people would know before they enter that if they present a point of view it will be challenged by other members who disagree.

This would also allow you people that love to go ten rounds a place to duke it out without having anyone getting offended.

I personally choose to stay away from the political issues on here. I get my fill of politics on talk-radio and TV news. After I get my daily dose, I cannot handle anymore of it because what it always boils down to is this; the left thinks the right is wrong, the right thinks the left is wrong and those in between think everyone else is wrong.

My question on politics is this: When are we all going to meet each other halfway and start solving some problems?

Since the last election all politicians and political junkies do is, complain. Nobody takes any action.

I am a moderate conservative. I vote in every election big or small. I educate myself on every issue I am asked to decide on at the polls. Most of the time my vote supports conservative efforts sometimes my vote supports liberal efforts. I decide every issue and choose each canidate by how it will affect me.

I do not come to this discussion board to pound my chest and scream I am right you are wrong; however, I do think that those of you do need a place you can do so without restrictions.

Jay
11-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Did I miss something today? My last post has been deleted so I am assuming it must of started something.

Mods can you please IM or email me about what happened to my post?
If I posted something foul I need to know about so I can prevent it from happening in the future.

Patrick
11-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Whoops, sorry oklacity75. I was deleting a couple of posts that users asked me to delete, and I hit yours by mistake. I'll reinstate it.

Intrepid
11-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Whoops, sorry oklacity75. I was deleting a couple of posts that users asked me to delete, and I hit yours by mistake. I'll reinstate it.

Several of my posts were deleted as well.

Patrick
11-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Intrepid, did you read the PM I sent you?

Jay
11-12-2005, 09:53 PM
No problem....... I just making sure everything was cool and nothing bad happened.