View Full Version : New OKC Hornets Site

Patrick
11-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Hey guys, we've been looking at the other locally owned Hornets site (Hornets Central), and we just don't see the growth there (on the forum) that we'd expect from a local Hornets site, especially with all of the latest Buzz (like the pun???) around our new temporary team. We've met with Todd and we think we could create a site that would market the Hornets better and be more dedicated to the message board, whereas the current site is more expansive in its coverage. The new site would be similar to this one, but would just focus on the Hornets.
The name? HornetsTalk.com! Have to stick with the theme here right?

Let us know your thoughts.

mranderson
11-11-2005, 11:03 AM
How about The Buzz around town?

hornetscentral
11-13-2005, 12:35 PM
We've been looking at the other locally owned Hornets site (Hornets Central), and we just don't see the growth there (on the forum) that we'd expect from a local Hornets site, especially with all of the latest Buzz (like the pun???) around our new temporary team.

Promote your site all you want, but there's no need to smear HornetsCentral in an attempt to promote your own site. Why don't you be more specific with your "growth there that we'd expect" allegation?

In a court of law, I could throw numbers at you to show exponential growth in the Forum and the website over the past month. So unless have different numbers than I do, you should retract your statement.

Karried
11-13-2005, 01:14 PM
hornetscentral, that was not a smear on your website. It was merely a statement saying that the growth hasn't taken off as expected. It's not a criticism, just an observation about the traffic on another website.

It's like owning a restaurant and going into a competing restaurant and commenting that this restaurant hasn't had as many customers as we have had or expected - just a statement. This would be an example of a slam - that restaurant sucks, no one wants to visit there because they don't know how to run it and the food is terrible and overpriced - see the difference?

Anyway, I know it's not a good welcome to the board but please don't take offense to something that wasn't meant to be offensive. Many of us do visit at your place - we can work together to support the Hornets and to make it known that our city can support the NBA.

Todd
11-13-2005, 01:22 PM
I agree Karrie!

In fact, I commented at the meeting that the Hornetscentral site was fantastic and well done. I even broached the subject on trying to contact the owner to discuss some type of traffic exchange. Putting together a site like Hornetscentral is NOT an easy job.

Patrick
11-13-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't see any smear tactics there. Just stating the obvious. With the current commercials you guys have on the Sports Animal, and with all of the hubub surrounding the Hornets, I guess I expected you guys to have thousands of members already.

Anyways, I think your site looks very nice. I applaud your use of the blogs, along with the message board! I enjoy reading DaDeucesWild's comments, as he's an old friend of mine from childhood and I know his father very well. Also, I applaud you putting together a comprehensive Hornets forum. In fact, I'm one of your biggest fans! :) And many of our members have gone to your site. If anything we're helping your site, so I don't understand the frustration here.

hornetscentral
11-13-2005, 01:34 PM
The restaurant analogy is innaccurate, because HornetsCentral has generated more posts in its forum in one month that this site has in two months.

Its obvious the moderator's post was nothing but a shameful jab at a leading competitor.

Unless "Patrick" can provide specific traffic numbers for HornetsCentral AND define the use of the word "expected growth", the owners/moderators of OKCtalk have no legal ground to state innaccurate facts and information about a competing website.

hornetscentral
11-13-2005, 01:43 PM
I appreciate the kind words, but I still stand by what I said. I'm not trying to be ****, I just hope you all can see it form the HornetsCentral point of view. In fact, the overall growth of the site in just one short month has been quite remarkable.

Todd
11-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Okay, I was trying to give everyone the benefit of the doubt here but since you're throwing me in the ring I will defend myself.

Where did I personally state inaccurate facts and information about your site? For someone who is complaining about inaccurate facts you should at least get yours correct.

If I were truly worried and viewed you as a competitor I would remove this thread altogether since bad publicity is better than none at all....

"The owners/moderators of OKCtalk have no legal ground to state inaccurate facts and information about a competing website."

PUGalicious
11-13-2005, 01:49 PM
The restaurant analogy is innaccurate, because HornetsCentral has generated more posts in its forum in one month that this site has in two months.

Its obvious the moderator's post was nothing but a shameful jab at a leading competitor.

Unless "Patrick" can provide specific traffic numbers for HornetsCentral AND define the use of the word "expected growth", the owners/moderators of OKCtalk have no legal ground to state innaccurate facts and information about a competing website.
Methinks thou dost protest too much.

hornetscentral, this is not a court of law. Perhaps you can establish legal precedent that demands "legal ground to state innaccurate (sic) facts and information about a competing website" within an opinion post on a privately-run message board, whether or not its a direct competitor.

I find your protests more shameful than anything said by the moderators or others to this point.

jdsplaypin
11-13-2005, 05:07 PM
He's probably from Tulsa! Haha, just kidding, i love tulsa. I have just been humored by the threads dedicated to tulsa vs. OKC

Doug Loudenback
11-14-2005, 07:08 AM
Actually, there's at least one other local Hornet's site, http://www.okchornetsbuzz.com/ ... I show OkcTalk, HornetsCentral and HornetsBuzz links at http://www.dougloudenback.com/oklahomacity.htm, as well as the NBA & HornetsReport (NOLA) links. They are all worthwhile. I've even added the schedule shapshot and game pics pages there, too.

But, there's nothing wrong with OkcTalk beefing up its Hornets area. We are all supporting the Hornets, don't you know? I intend to cross post and support 'em (us) all.

Karried
11-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Really, the last thing we need right now is to have OUR city fighting over the Hornets.. we have enough of that from some in NO!

TStheThird
11-14-2005, 07:47 AM
HornetsCentral... give me a break. He stated his opinion, get over it.

Todd
11-14-2005, 07:50 AM
I agree Karried.

Patrick
11-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey guys, we actually found out that one of the owners of HornetsCentral is a friend of ours. So disregard this thread!

Doug Loudenback
11-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Huh, Patrick? Do you mean to say that would make a difference? Everyone should be treated the same way, i.e., with the same courtesy and respect, me thinks!

Patrick
11-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Well, what I mean by that, is we might be more willing to link up with them as a sister site. We might offer them free ad space (in exchange for ad space on their site), etc. Something we wouldn't offer to someone we didn't know.

wallyboy75
11-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Thats a good idea, working together with the other website we can make it where all of the hornet fans feel welcomed whereever they are.

NOLA
11-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Really, the last thing we need right now is to have OUR city fighting over the Hornets.. we have enough of that from some in NO!

The vast majority of us New Orleans Hornets fans have no interest in waging "war" with the good people of OKC - just those OKCers who would basically stomp all over the Crescent City/Gulf South people just because they opt to disobey the terms of service at a message board dedicated to the New Orleans Hornets. We sincerely thank OKC for providing Shinn a fine TEMPORARY home; however, we just want our team back as soon as feasibly possible. :)

BDP
11-24-2005, 08:08 AM
The vast majority of us New Orleans Hornets fans have no interest in waging "war" with the good people of OKC

This may be true, but they don't post on the internet. We are happy to provid ea temporary home for teh Hornets. It has been great. But you know as well as I do that it has been NO posters bashing OKC more than anything else.

NOLA
11-24-2005, 09:36 AM
This may be true, but they don't post on the internet. We are happy to provid ea temporary home for teh Hornets. It has been great. But you know as well as I do that it has been NO posters bashing OKC more than anything else.

BDP,

Very inaccurate. PLENTY of 'em post on the internet. I should know as I have been a charter member of a NOH board from the day George Shinn got approval to move to Louisiana. Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of OKC posters who post here on OKC Talk (what little I've seen of it thus far) as well as those who continue to post on the main New Orleans Hornets site have been classy and professional in their treatment of both the Hornets franchise and us fans back here in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. But let's be honest here. Of the numerous troublemakers I have among all the Hornets boards, it's been by far the other way with the most radical OKC posts stemming from those who could not or would not adhere the terms of service of the N.O. message board. Not splitting hairs but calling it like I see it. :cool25: