View Full Version : Chelino's closed?

Boop
07-15-2022, 01:07 PM
I saw Chelino's took the sign off on 19th street, is it moving to the 12th street location soon?

Roger S
07-15-2022, 01:50 PM
I saw Chelino's took the sign off on 19th street, is it moving to the 12th street location soon?

Last I heard the 12th Street location is dead and it will be a car wash.

Boop
07-16-2022, 09:46 AM

Really? That is surprising, I thought it is a great location and space for it, that is a shame

bombermwc
07-22-2022, 06:51 AM

Agreed, the signage changed. Although nothing is really happening there.

Boop
07-30-2022, 06:51 AM
I guess I will have to drive to Norman to get Chelino's now

bille
09-16-2022, 12:01 PM
Really? That is surprising, I thought it is a great location and space for it, that is a shame

Rumor going around is that while getting the location ready Chelinos was unable to secure a liquor license due to the proximity to the church next door, which is something you'd think they'd have checked into before purchasing the property. Part two of the rumors is that they were offered a substantial amount more for the building by somebody looking to open a car wash there. Seems crazy to think somebody would pay that much for a building to install a car wash. Surely most/all of the structure would have to go away for that to happen...

Either way, as you know, nothing has physically changed to the space since Chelinos quit getting it ready..

Boop
09-16-2022, 04:00 PM
Rumor going around is that while getting the location ready Chelinos was unable to secure a liquor license due to the proximity to the church next door, which is something you'd think they'd have checked into before purchasing the property. Part two of the rumors is that they were offered a substantial amount more for the building by somebody looking to open a car wash there. Seems crazy to think somebody would pay that much for a building to install a car wash. Surely most/all of the structure would have to go away for that to happen...

Either way, as you know, nothing has physically changed to the space since Chelinos quit getting it ready..

Thank you for the update, it looks like I will be driving to Norman to eat at Chelino’s

Bunty
09-17-2022, 01:33 AM

It's legal for a church to move next door to a bar, so to be fair, it should be legal for a restaurant serving alcohol to locate close to a church. Years ago, in Tulsa there was a gay bar in a strip center that was located next door to a Baptist church.

Pete
09-17-2022, 05:38 AM
Regarding bars near churches or schools, the limitations only apply to ABC-3 permits.

For ABC-2 -- which is what is needed for a restaurant like Chelinos that also serves alcohol -- there are no restrictions.

bille
09-26-2022, 11:24 AM
FYI these restrictions on getting liquor licenses in close proximity to schools/churches is a City of Moore ordinance. I'm not familiar with out of the City of Moore I just know this has what has kept the Old Town/downtown area of Moore from gaining any kind of ground in regards to a space that sells any alcohol.

Pete
09-26-2022, 11:56 AM
FYI these restrictions on getting liquor licenses in close proximity to schools/churches is a City of Moore ordinance. I'm not familiar with out of the City of Moore I just know this has what has kept the Old Town/downtown area of Moore from gaining any kind of ground in regards to a space that sells any alcohol.

It's a state statute.

The restrictions only apply if more than 50% of the revenue comes from alcohol. So it shouldn't stand in the way of a restaurant with alcohol vs. a pure bar.

drinner-okc
10-18-2022, 07:19 PM
Well the old Western Sizzlin was torn down today (10/18) we'll see if it's a car wash soon enough.