View Full Version : Why not a Walgreens (or similar) downtown?

Pete
11-10-2005, 06:54 PM
I know there has been much clamoring for a grocery store downtown, but how about a Walgreens or Rite Aid as a first step?

They have some food and most the necessities which would be very convenient for workers, residents and hotel guests. You'd think the perscription business would be very strong.

I'd love to see something like that happen at the Century Center or on the ground floor of one of the big office buildings.

If they had some success (and I think they would) that would pave the way for other retailers.

fromdust
11-10-2005, 07:15 PM
i like the idea.

jbrown84
11-10-2005, 08:43 PM
I've always thought that we ought to be able to get a Walgreens down there. Or better yet a CVS, because then we know Walgreens will come in too and build a second drug store. This should be much easier than getting something like Whole Foods or even Albertsons.

http://visitmylasvegas.com/components/com_galleria/alben/1/1108746463_0.27074300_ms_%23_walgreens.jpg

http://walkeastwood.org/Walgreens.Bolyston.Boston.JPG

http://www.universityunited.com/WalgreensCincinnati.jpg

http://www.fpse.com/news_pages/news_images/news_cvslg.jpg

Pete
11-10-2005, 09:37 PM
How about in the ground floor of the Park Harvey building?

Great location and I'm sure they'd love to have the retail presence.

However, the Century Center has better visibility.

Pete
11-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Another retail step would be a full-fledged convenience store.

A nice 7-11, Circle K or similar would be very successful and provide needed services to that area. When I worked in downtown LA, we had a full-scale AM/PM in the basement of my building and that place was packed. If it had been at street level, it would have stayed busy in the evening too.

The more I think about it, I'd like to see downtown promoters aggressively pursue these types of options, as intermediate steps towards a grocery store or other types of retail.

HOT ROD
11-10-2005, 09:44 PM
I'd rather Walgreens/CVS be in Park Harvey.

Century Centre should be saved for high end IMO. I mean, its right smack in the middle of all of the downtown excitement and the closest retail to the convention centre.

Just imagine how "" we'd look if we had an :anchor: store as a pharmacy. ....

But definitely, I had suggested earlier that I hope Park Harvey (and now the KM developments) in the CBD will have retail storefronts on the street levels. Definitely, CVS/Walgreens would be an excellent retail tenant for the inner CBD buildings, along with restaurants, grocers, and convenience (I mentioned 7-11 earlier).

But keep Century Centre available for a high end anchor. IMO.

John
11-10-2005, 11:01 PM
I think a Walgreens would do very well downtown.

Here's an idea: How about one of them buy the Bus station downtown? That would be a great location for a Walgreen's and there would be sufficient parking, plus, the city/Greyhound/etc would have some cash to build a newer station somewhere else in town. It would be easy walking distance from all the hotels, close to the Montgomery and the Park Harvey. It is a very neat building that needs to be saved, but I think that the building and its location have outlived its purpose for today. I know there is a need for a bus station, but perhaps a location closer to the relocated I-40 might be better for it...

Thoughts? Opinions?

writerranger
11-12-2005, 08:46 PM
I second the Walgreen's idea. They have a history of locating in urban environments. I'm not sure CVS does. I think it's a superb idea. I hope somebody is sending Walgreen's a packet full of information and pictures of downtown Oklahoma City and Bricktown. This would help alleviate the lack of general retail. Walgreen's urban locations look cool too.

Pete
11-17-2005, 12:21 PM
FYI, I fired off an email on this subject to a commerical real estate broker that I know indirectly in the area.

He focuses on retail properties and I'm sure he has a contact at Walgreens.

I'll give you an update when I hear back from him.

Pete
11-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Well, I contact the real estate brokers for both CVS and Walgreens and they both said the immediate demograhics would preclude the stores from considering a downtown location.

Most retailers look at population and income in a 1-, 3- and 5-mile radius.

As we all know, there is very little in terms of population in a 1-mile radius from anywhere downtown.

Also, Walgreens feels they serve some of that market with their relatively new location at 23rd & Classen.

So, not looking good for this idea. :(

HOT ROD
11-17-2005, 11:21 PM
what population demographic are they looking for???

isnt 4000 people within 1 mile good enough for them?

metro
11-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Not to mention the 40,000+ workers that work downtown daily and tourists in hotels

Pete
11-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Why don't you guys contact them directly?