View Full Version : Changing of the OKC guard

Pete
02-14-2022, 08:12 AM
It's amazing to consider the near-total turnover of OKC leadership in just the last several years.

First, Mick Cornett decides not to run for reelection after 4-terms as OKC's longest-serving mayor.
Not long thereafter, the longest-serving city manager by a wide margin, Jim Couch, steps down after 18 years.
Mike Carrier retired after running the Convention and Visitors Bureau for 13 years.
After 20 years in economic development roles at OCURA and the Alliance for Economic Development, Cathy O'Connor has announced her intention to go into private business.
Roy Williams, 13 years the head of the OKC Chamber of Commerce just announced his impending retirement.
The 13-year director of the OKC Arts Council Peter Dolese is retiring this year.
Angus McQueen recently passed away after 46 years of running Ackerman McQueen which shaped politics and many other aspects of civic life, as well as making a national impact.
Larry Nichols stepped down from Devon and although he is still chairman of both OCURA and the Alliance, his influence on the city seems to have peaked.
With Aubrey McClendon's recent death, his influence on the city came to a halt.
David Boren was forced out as the OU President after an amazing 24-year run.
And even the Gaylords, arguably the most influential family in the history of the state, are now almost completely on the sidelines after divesting the Oklahoman.

It's very interesting when you look at this in the aggregate; it reminds me of similar seismic shifts after the grandiose and largely unfulfilled dreams of the last generation of city leaders back in the '60s and '70s.

GaryOKC6
02-14-2022, 10:20 AM
Let's hope that the next round of leaders were taking good notes.

progressiveboy
02-14-2022, 11:17 AM
This. certainly is a given opportunity for the next civic leaders to shape the future of the city. OKC will need driven, forward thinking and qualified people to make this happen!

soonerguru
02-14-2022, 11:40 AM
I'm very concerned who replaces Roy Williams at the Chamber. I don't always agree with their approach and priorities, but Roy is a very level-headed guy who has influenced a ton of positive change for OKC, and I'm not just talking about development. I liked his predecessor but he was somewhat aloof and very conservative. Roy Williams deserves a lot of credit for the improvement we are seeing in OKC.

Dob Hooligan
02-14-2022, 05:08 PM
I would suggest the Gaylord influence is still strong in Oklahoma, but it is a little more quiet. Which is hard to believe. Clay Bennett has made the Thunder into a model NBA franchise. And, along with Chirsty Everest, has been active on incarceration and criminal justice issues.

Brett
02-14-2022, 07:25 PM
You forgot to mention Bill Citty the OCPD police chief who retired and was replaced by Wade Gourley.