View Full Version : Hotel Info

Curt
11-09-2005, 04:56 PM
I am thinking about staying in or near Bricktown when I come down next month and was wondering if anyone could recomend a decent place to stay for a night so I can go check out the town and not have to worry about driving back to Edmond

Patrick
11-09-2005, 06:15 PM
You're driving in from Edmond? You make it sound like you're driving from San Fran! :) If you live in Edmond, why would you want a place to stay when you can drive back home?

Curt
11-09-2005, 06:17 PM
You're driving in from Edmond? You make it sound like you're driving from San Fran! :) If you live in Edmond, why would you want a place to stay when you can drive back home?
LOL...cuz I am flying in from Detroit...but I like to stay in Edmond...however I want to go out one night and check out the town and dont want to drive when I have been drinking.

Patrick
11-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Anyhow, what's your price range?

Online rates show that the Renaissance ranges from 109.00 - 209.00 (USD) . The Courtyard ranges from 119.00 - 219.00 (USD) . If you go make sure to ask for the Leisure rate and not the corporate rate. The corporate rate is much more.

Sheraton ranges from $109-149.

Curt
11-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Well........I'd like a little cheaper than that...but I could accept $109.00 for a night.
I'll have to check these out..Thanks Patrick.

Patrick
11-09-2005, 06:32 PM
LOL...cuz I am flying in from Detroit...but I like to stay in Edmond...however I want to go out one night and check out the town and dont want to drive when I have been drinking.

LOL! Sorry, I interpreted your email wrong! I forgot you were from Detroit. That makes sense that you'd want to stay downtown.

For now, those are the only hotels downtown. On that list, I'd recommend the Renaissance, with Courtyard coming in a close 2nd.

The new OKC CVB has all of the city accomodations listed.

BTW, do you have accomodations in Edmond yet?

Patrick
11-09-2005, 06:35 PM
If you're wanting to go with something cheaper and stay near downtown instead of right in the middle of downtown, I could make some suggestions.

Curt
11-09-2005, 06:38 PM
LOL! Sorry, I interpreted your email wrong! I forgot you were from Detroit. That makes sense that you'd want to stay downtown.

For now, those are the only hotels downtown. On that list, I'd recommend the Renaissance, with Courtyard coming in a close 2nd.

The new OKC CVB has all of the city accomodations listed.

BTW, do you have accomodations in Edmond yet?
LOL...thats ok..I wish I could just drive in from Edmond and go back home...but this will have to do for now.

I do have a place to stay in Edmond...but what were you gonna suggest?

Curt
11-09-2005, 06:38 PM
If you're wanting to go with something cheaper and stay near downtown instead of right in the middle of downtown, I could make some suggestions.
That would be fine also...even if it is just a short walk or drive.
I do appreciate it.

Patrick
11-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Well, Bricktown Plaza Central is east of Bricktown on Reno. http://bricktowncentralplazahotel.safeshopper.com/

I still don't like how they took the Bricktown name though. It's 2 miles east of Bricktown, and not too far from Douglass High School.

Curt
11-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I was just checking out their site..that could be a possibility.

downtownguy
11-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Patrick, not sure you want to recommend Central Plaza. Have you been there?

Patrick
11-09-2005, 08:22 PM
I figured my last statement about Douglas High School should've settled the issue. :)

Anyways, mariner you probably don't want to stay there.

You might check out I-40 and Meridian! :)

downtownguy
11-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Mariner, try calling the Sheraton. They might have some good rates, and they've improved it quite a bit. The courtyard might also have some specials.

HOT ROD
11-09-2005, 10:07 PM
I've stayed in all of the downtown hotels and I would recommend them all as high class and great value.

SHERATON HOTEL

The Sheraton has the more big city 4-star hospitality feel to it (your wish is my command, in other words) but the hotel is older - even with the renovations. The views are great and it is the hotel most central in downtown. The hotel's restaurant is easily 4 Diamond or higher. In fact, my girlfriend and I stayed at the Sheraton on in Aug05 had their steak and it was the best we ever had - even beat Cattleman's (which has severely declined IMO). True, I spent $160.00 on that meal but it was well, well worth it. Also, I thought it was cool to have a spa in the hotel - although we did not use it. Just added that luxury (Vancouver-type) feel to it (if you've never been to Vancouver, they have the most spa's in hotels of any city in the world).

What I find odd about the hotel is the Century Centre (huh???? what Centre?) and the pool (an outdoor pool, in downtown OKC??? that's on the roof of the conference rooms - you have to walk on rooftop to get to the pool, in the heat. I recommended they change the pool to enclose it and make it more upscale with the renovation. Nobody wants to be in an outdoor pool in a major city downtown).

RENAISSANCE HOTEL OKC CONVENTION CENTRE

The Renaissance is probably what I'd rank the best mostly because it is a new, tall atrium hotel. Although the staff tends to be modern, trendy, and therefore not quite as hospitable (for a 4.5-star hotel standards), the amenities of the hotel are second to none. Also, a great convention hotel as its connected to the Cox Convention Centre, but I think it should be double in height just for that reason, convention hotels need to be BIG. I just dont think 311 hotel rooms should be called convention hotel for a major city, IMHO.

I only wish that bricktown.com would spell Marriott correctly, when they advertise the hotel. They always use one t (as in Marriot Renaissance) even though they correctly spell it for the Courtyard hotel (and on the same web page). I know this is not the fault of Renaissance but is something that irks me in relation to this hotel. Other than that, no real faults other than being rather small for a convention hotel.

COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT

Last but not least, Courtyard is the newest and most modern of the existing hotels. The staff is young and trendy but it looks like they read my (and other patron's) feedback - as they did a 180 degree change in service from non-existent teenagers to people geared for service. In fact, I would not have given them a 2 Diamond rating last year but after the service coaching (and expectations delivered), I would easily bump them to a 4 now. The rooms are nice and modern, the amenities are well thought out and plentiful, and the decour gives the hotel an upscale feel. This could definitely be OKC's trendy hotel and should be popular anyone who stays or drives by - as it's not your "common" courtyard hotel.

The hotel still has one main fault - the restaurant is almost non-existent. Yes, I know they want you to go to Bricktown and everything; but full-service hotels need to have ... FULL Services! There clearly was a restaurant and it looked good, but it was closed almost every time I came down. Not sure if something was going on (and this was when the staff service was less than par so no explanation from them) or if it has changed now but I found this strange for a major city downtown hotel.

I can't wait for the other hotels to be added to OKC's downtown portfolio. I expect the HILTON SKIRVIN HOTEL will once again become the focal point of downtown. I am sad to hear they are not shooting for 5 Stars/Diamonds, though ... I mean, OKC needs at least one 5-Star hotel, it would be the only such in the state. Hopefully, AAA will come in and rate it 5-star anyways, which certainly would guarantee exceptional return on room rates for the investors/city. The COLCORD HOTEL should be interesting. OKC's first boutigue hotel and first conversion of an office tower to hotel use. Im glad this is happening and should be a great stay since it is the closest hotel to one of the best central parks in the nation - Myriad Botanical Gardens and Park. I will reserve judgement for the new bricktown hotels, but hopefully the RESIDENCE INN BY MARRIOTT will be more upscale than the renderings we saw, especially since it will be on the canal. Im sure the HAMPTON INN BRICKTOWN will be quite upscale and Im glad it is more vertical than most. I hope they follow the model of Vancouver's HAMPTON INN AND SUITES DOWNTOWN, often rated the best value hotel in downtown Van (check out tripadvisor Vancouver for the details).

I like others, hope the EMBASSY SUITES DOWNTOWN HOTEL is in the Central Business District and is VERTICAL!!! I also hope it is >500 suites. I think we need a hotel in the NW quadrant of downtown given there is NONE and there are so many attractions. Perhaps the Embassy Suites might be better suited for, say, the lot occupied by that FORD dealership; hopefully OKC will soon have another announcement of (say MARRIOTT HOTEL, 600 rooms) in the Arts District of Downtown. We need a HOLIDAY INN DOWNTOWN and a few other 3-star mainstream hotels as well as a few more boutiques in AAlley and Westowne.

I also hope OKC can land some upscale properties, I think a PARK (or GRAND) HYATT or FAIRMONT HOTEL on the SE corner of the Galleria would be an exceptional idea. I always liked the vision of twin mixed use towers on the SW and SE corners, with the existing fountain remaining intact or made larger/more impressive.

These ideas combined with new high rise residential should create a brand new OKC in the next 5 years. I know my next visit will be better than the most recent (as it was better than the one b4 that). Whatever the case, I do hope the city leaders GET RETAIL in downtown!!! They need to require developers (and redevelopers) add street side storefront retail to their projects. Talk about pedestrian activity, I hope to see some of it on my next visit.

Karried
11-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Try Priceline - you might get a great hotel for a good price.. when are you coming out?

Curt
11-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Thank you everyone for your help..I will be checking on all these places and find out which one works best for me..I really appreciate all the info.

Curt
11-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Try Priceline - you might get a great hotel for a good price.. when are you coming out?
Karrie..I am comming out the tuesday after Thanksgiving..so like the 29th or 30th.