View Full Version : Gun shots on NYE

Pete
01-01-2022, 09:32 AM
Did anyone else hear people firing guns into the air last night at midnight?

This is something that happened in Los Angeles every New Years Eve and every year there would be warnings not to do it. Bullets that go up must come down and inevitably people were hurt.

I stayed home last night and heard the clear sounds of gunshots ringing out more than once.

Just wonder if others heard the same in other areas, as I hope this isn't something we are going to have more of in OKC.

Plutonic Panda
01-01-2022, 09:37 AM
I heard a bunch of fireworks around Danforth and Bryant in it and Edmond. At one point it kind of sounded like gunshots but I’m not sure.

Bowser214
01-01-2022, 10:36 AM
I think I only hear fireworks on the westside (surprisingly)

Pete
01-01-2022, 10:39 AM
I could hear fireworks too but I could also clearly hear gunshots several times.

Very disturbing.

Jersey Boss
01-01-2022, 11:58 AM
If some freedumb lovers are discharging firearms hopefully it is shotguns and not rifles or pistols.

Bill Robertson
01-01-2022, 11:58 AM
When I was in my 20s (1980s) I knew a lot of people that shot guns in the air on NYE. I didn't think anyone did anymore but in this world who knows.

shawnw
01-01-2022, 01:16 PM
At Regency I really thought I heard at least 3 very close by but wasn't about to go out and check.

Pete
01-01-2022, 01:51 PM
If some freedumb lovers are discharging firearms hopefully it is shotguns and not rifles or pistols.

It wasn't shotguns that I heard. Sounded like some sort of automatic weapon.

It's the first time I've felt unsafe in OKC.

LocoAko
01-01-2022, 02:04 PM
It wasn't shotguns that I heard. Sounded like some sort of automatic weapon.

It's the first time I've felt unsafe in OKC.

I (think) I'm just a bit south of you and while we heard and saw a bunch of fireworks I didn't hear any automated weapons. That would have definitely been quite alarming though. I thought the rain would've kept the fireworks to a minimum but apparently not, ha.

Thomas Vu
01-01-2022, 08:34 PM
Wouldn't surprise me given the area I'm in, having people try and blend that in.

soonerguru
01-01-2022, 10:08 PM
Did anyone else hear people firing guns into the air last night at midnight?

This is something that happened in Los Angeles every New Years Eve and every year there would be warnings not to do it. Bullets that go up must come down and inevitably people were hurt.

I stayed home last night and heard the clear sounds of gunshots ringing out more than once.

Just wonder if others heard the same in other areas, as I hope this isn't something we are going to have more of in OKC.

Yes. Literally every year.

However, this wasn't nearly as bad as previous years. I also heard the distinctly different sound of fireworks. Drives me crazy. I never go out on NYE and probably never will again.

There was one year in which I heard automatic (or semiautomatic; sorry, not a gun guy) gun shots. My daughter had a friend spending the night with us and it made me feel very awkward as a host, like, "Hey, welcome to the DMZ." It is a very unsettling noise and it also really freaks the pets out. The girls were rather unfazed, however.

Brett
01-02-2022, 08:52 AM
Did anyone else hear people firing guns into the air last night at midnight? ...

I live by the elementary school in Pete's neighborhood. I heard two rounds of gunshots. Both were mag dumps. The first one sounded close to 7-10 rounds and the second one was close to 12 -15 rounds. I never go out on NYE and this is commonplace near the schoolyard. I thought that the weather along with the scarcity/price of ammo would prevent this.

Pete
01-02-2022, 09:34 AM
I live by the elementary school in Pete's neighborhood. I heard two rounds of gunshots. Both were mag dumps. The first one sounded close to 7-10 rounds and the second one was close to 12 -15 rounds. I never go out on NYE and this is commonplace near the schoolyard. I thought that the weather along with the scarcity/price of ammo would prevent this.

Hey neighbor!

I live a bit farther south and I think the gunshots were coming from one of the apartment complexes near I-44.

It's a very disconcerting feeling to be sitting inside your house and hearing automatic weapons being fired nearby. I actually made sure to move away from any windows. I never had any problems like this in California.

It's weird to think about such things being so close to a home you love. I recently found out that an AirBnB that I frequently walk past was a trap house for drug sales and consumption until very recently. It was owned by the former Urban Farmhouse guy (who is in all kinds of trouble now with Relax Park) and they let their college-aged son use it a lot. I never knew any of this until after I posted that Relax Park article and people came out of the woodwork with stories; they had no idea I lived very nearby.

That house recently sold and someone shared with me some videos of what went on there and another house they own in Edmond. I'm just so naive about these things... I'd walk by that house in my neighborhood and see this new Porsche Cayenne and lots of young people and I never put 2 and 2 together. I was told there was a shooting there as well.

Fortunately, the new owners seem to be responsible.

Urbanized
01-02-2022, 04:33 PM
I definitely heard at least some semi-automatic gunfire somewhere north of 23rd and Classen, probably 2-3 emptied clips, mixed in with many dozens of home-launched fireworks in neighborhoods.

Bill Robertson
01-02-2022, 05:14 PM
In my defense. As I said before many people I knew in the 80s shot guns at midnight on NYE. It was ALWAYS shotguns with bird shot. Hot gonna hurt anything coming back down.

tvkokc
01-03-2022, 12:55 PM
We live over just west of 36th & Portland so not too terribly far from Pete & Brett. I like Brett heard the clip dumps and then just pistols randomly going off. In my like 8 years of living in our house it was the most gunshots I've heard on NYE.

Pete
01-03-2022, 01:41 PM
^

I fear this is an escalating and troubling trend.

Zuplar
01-03-2022, 03:47 PM
I highly doubt you heard an automatic weapon. Some idiot rapidly discharging a semi-auto sure. I’m sure this is a hot take but none of the areas described are areas that I would consider good or safe areas, and if someone told me they heard gunshots I can’t say that I’m surprised.

Pete
01-03-2022, 04:08 PM
I highly doubt you heard an automatic weapon. Some idiot rapidly discharging a semi-auto sure. I’m sure this is a hot take but none of the areas described are areas that I would consider good or safe areas, and if someone told me they heard gunshots I can’t say that I’m surprised.

That's a lot of negativity and judgment in three sentences.

Plutonic Panda
01-03-2022, 04:24 PM
The neighborhood around NWE and Penn? Those are some of the best neighborhoods in the metro.

Jersey Boss
01-03-2022, 05:16 PM
There is no place in this country that you are safe from gun fire

Edmond Hausfrau
01-03-2022, 08:47 PM
"It's a very disconcerting feeling to be sitting inside your house and hearing automatic weapons being fired nearby. I actually made sure to move away from any windows. I never had any problems like this in California."

I'm guessing you never spent NYE in Fresno then.

Zuplar
01-04-2022, 08:46 AM
The neighborhood around NWE and Penn? Those are some of the best neighborhoods in the metro.

If that is the are being referenced, then no, that's not that area I'm talking about.

I don't know everybody's history and where they live, but the area I'm referring to was the one mentioned slightly above my original comment which were Portland from NW23rd to NW36th and the neighborhoods in that area.

Zuplar
01-04-2022, 08:47 AM
There is no place in this country that you are safe from gun fire

Okay, never said anything to the contrary. Maybe you quoted wrong person?

TheTravellers
01-04-2022, 08:54 AM
If that is the are being referenced, then no, that's not that area I'm talking about.

I don't know everybody's history and where they live, but the area I'm referring to was the one mentioned slightly above my original comment which were Portland from SW 23rd to SW36th and the neighborhoods in that area.

Pete lives just south of Mayfair (NW 43rd-ish/Penn-ish/May-ish).

tvkokc
01-04-2022, 10:08 AM

I never stated in my response that I heard an automatic, sorry, let me say this - to me it was just a really fast pistol.

My area and subsequently where Pete is at are certainly very safe. I own several properties in NW OKC and they're all about the same level and they're all in good spots. I think we're just as likely to experience crime here as opposed to Edmond.

I saw in a later post you're speaking about southwest 23rd and Portland ish. I'm NW 36th, its very safe over here but yeah the gunshots you aren't getting away from.

tvkokc
01-04-2022, 10:13 AM
^

I fear this is an escalating and troubling trend.

It seems to have picked up more, my next door neighbor found a bullet on his dinning room table and called me to come over to look, It came through the roof and bounced off his table. This was around July 4th, I can't remember if it was 2020 or 2021 they all run together now.

My dad lives off 16th between Portland and Meridian and he said it was very quiet this NYE down there which is very surprising to me.

Zuplar
01-04-2022, 11:45 AM
I never stated in my response that I heard an automatic, sorry, let me say this - to me it was just a really fast pistol.

My area and subsequently where Pete is at are certainly very safe. I own several properties in NW OKC and they're all about the same level and they're all in good spots. I think we're just as likely to experience crime here as opposed to Edmond.

I saw in a later post you're speaking about southwest 23rd and Portland ish. I'm NW 36th, its very safe over here but yeah the gunshots you aren't getting away from.

The reference to the auto fire was directed at Pete. Apologize if that was confusing. You are right with how fast people can fire pistols nowadays, I can see why people would be confused.

And I mis-typed, I did mean NW23rd to NW36th. I'm glad you are satisfied living there and feel safe. We all have different risk tolerances and that's fine, I was just sharing my opinion. I also do not live there, but I do frequent that area. So again this is my perception.

I've definitely heard my fair share of perceptions that I consider negative about where I live from outsiders, and I admit at first glance it's taken personal. But I know the area I live better than these people and feel safe and okay with that. At the same time I find it interesting as to why they'd think that way.

I said what I said because that's my perception, and quite frankly in my circle of friends and family they would tend to agree with my perception. All sorts of nuances and biases go into these perceptions. Anyways I did not mean any disrespect by my comments, just a different opinion.

tvkokc
01-04-2022, 12:54 PM
The reference to the auto fire was directed at Pete. Apologize if that was confusing. You are right with how fast people can fire pistols nowadays, I can see why people would be confused.

And I mis-typed, I did mean NW23rd to NW36th. I'm glad you are satisfied living there and feel safe. We all have different risk tolerances and that's fine, I was just sharing my opinion. I also do not live there, but I do frequent that area. So again this is my perception.

I've definitely heard my fair share of perceptions that I consider negative about where I live from outsiders, and I admit at first glance it's taken personal. But I know the area I live better than these people and feel safe and okay with that. At the same time I find it interesting as to why they'd think that way.

I said what I said because that's my perception, and quite frankly in my circle of friends and family they would tend to agree with my perception. All sorts of nuances and biases go into these perceptions. Anyways I did not mean any disrespect by my comments, just a different opinion.

Fair enough, and I'm also not a gun expert by any means but I've heard semi and automatic weapons go off. It is crazy to me how fast someone can discharge a clip in a pistol.

I was taken back because our area is actually really good, its got it normal issues but like I said prior I have 3 rental houses in NW OKC and there all in "better" areas then where I personally live. I'm on next door and watch crime reports (vested interest afterall) and the crime is just the same where my other homes are lol. There are some spots of the city where I'm not exactly jazzed about being at but honestly my areas of "no fly" zones in the city is really small after having traveled the world lol. That's fine though if you don't like it over here I'll keep my good BBQ & street tacos :D

TheTravellers
01-04-2022, 01:36 PM

I live in Venice, and never feel unsafe. I generally don't feel truly unsafe most places I go in OKC, but it does get somewhat iffy the closer you get to NW 23rd and also west of May.

Zuplar
01-04-2022, 01:50 PM
Fair enough, and I'm also not a gun expert by any means but I've heard semi and automatic weapons go off. It is crazy to me how fast someone can discharge a clip in a pistol.

I was taken back because our area is actually really good, its got it normal issues but like I said prior I have 3 rental houses in NW OKC and there all in "better" areas then where I personally live. I'm on next door and watch crime reports (vested interest afterall) and the crime is just the same where my other homes are lol. There are some spots of the city where I'm not exactly jazzed about being at but honestly my areas of "no fly" zones in the city is really small after having traveled the world lol. That's fine though if you don't like it over here I'll keep my good BBQ & street tacos :D

At the end of the day the type of safety I think we are talking here is different than safety elsewhere in the world. I don't personally have any no go zones in OKC, I would just have heightened awareness in areas I perceive as less safe than the areas I'm familiar with. That familiarity I think goes hand in hand with perception.

Bullbear
01-05-2022, 06:23 AM
I hear gunshots annually at NYE unfortunately. lots of Fireworks as well but definately gunshots.

thunderbird
01-13-2022, 08:39 AM
This is a sad story on so many levels.

“She said her husband used her AR-15 and fired into the air as they heard their neighbors firing guns into the air, too. He does not have a concealed carry permit, but she does, she said, adding that the gun belongs to her.

"We do this every year because it was New Year's Eve," she said. "Everybody (in the neighborhood) was shooting. It was a tradition. Everybody shoots on New Year's Eve."”

http://https://www.cantonrep.com/story/news/2022/01/03/wife-canton-man-killed-police-during-new-years-eve-celebration/9078516002/

TheTravellers
01-13-2022, 08:52 AM
This is a sad story on so many levels.

“She said her husband used her AR-15 and fired into the air as they heard their neighbors firing guns into the air, too. He does not have a concealed carry permit, but she does, she said, adding that the gun belongs to her.

"We do this every year because it was New Year's Eve," she said. "Everybody (in the neighborhood) was shooting. It was a tradition. Everybody shoots on New Year's Eve."”

http://https://www.cantonrep.com/story/news/2022/01/03/wife-canton-man-killed-police-during-new-years-eve-celebration/9078516002/

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. However, having said that, hopefully the cop who shot him will be reprimanded, fired, whatever is necessary, because he *also* played a stupid game (no announcement, etc.).

thunderbird
01-14-2022, 09:59 AM
I’m beyond unqualified but my gut says it’s ok to kill a man whose firing indiscriminately in a neighborhood. Announcing yourself seems like a good way to get shot in an active shooter situation. Hopefully this puts an end to that particular neighborhood tradition.