View Full Version : OKC a "featured destination"

jbrown84
11-08-2005, 07:34 PM
I noticed Oklahoma City is now listed among 28 US cities as a Featured Destination on the Marriott website. There is even a nice little profile too.

http://marriott.com/city/oklahoma-city-hotels

Karried
11-08-2005, 07:38 PM
woo hoo! Everyday I am hearing more and more positive reports on OKC - it's a great feeling.. not very long ago - we would be hard pressed to find anything positive -

now we are a major league tourist destination!

It is a very exciting time to be watching the progress and growth - thanks for sharing the good news!

HOT ROD
11-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Ya, I think we (OKC) took Portland's "normal" spot.

Woo Hoo, this is just another example of OKC making the big leagues!!!

Continue the Renaissance!!!

Luke
11-08-2005, 10:14 PM
That is cool!

metro
11-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I wish the commentary was a written a little better with not as much western imphasis although some is okay. I wish they would of mentioned a few more modern places downtown and the Hornets

Patrick
11-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I could've done without the focus on the "Old West." I think that's what makes us look hickish. A focus on Native America, our oil history, OKC as the capitol, and our future in Bricktown and a growing downtown area, would've been nice. The first things that come to mind when I read the commentary are hicks, tumbleweed, and teepees.

Unfortunately, many from the coasts actually think we live in teepees around here.

okcpulse
11-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately, many from the coasts actually think we live in teepees around here.

They need to go back to school.

metro
11-09-2005, 01:19 PM
You mean you guys don't live in teepee's?? I must be the only one

Patrick
11-09-2005, 01:33 PM
I just found this post on another forum. Thought you might find it enteraining:

"Wildfire 11-11-2000 03:56 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's Oklahoma like????????

Hi everybody!!!!! Unlike most of you I'm a fairly new Garth fan and now just my luck, he's retiring and I'll never see him in concert. I was turned onto him by my boyfriend who's been a fan of his for years. Now, he's in Oklahoma and retired!!! But I understand his children come first as it should with any parent, and life is too short to spend time away from them, as he would have to do if he continued to tour.

Anyway, to make a long post short,(I know too late for that, LOL!!!) since Garth has moved back to Oklahoma I have been curious what kind of state is it?? Until we had that terrorist bombing in Oklahoma City a few years back when Oklahoma got national attention, I always thought it more of a Cowboy and Indian kind of state. Ya know, the covered wagons and teepees, the little house on the prairie look. I guess my stupidity about geography is shining thru now, huh??? LOL!!!! Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone from Oklahoma is a member or anyone familiar with Oklahoma can post and tell me. Being an Easterner, I'm curious.

Thanks for any info, my enquiring mind would like to know.

P.S.S. Also, can you tell me what Okie means??? My boyfriend says they call themselves that out there. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!N"

---------

metro
11-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Patrick, please tell me you represented us on this one or are going to post the link so someone can

Patrick
11-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Oh, this was from back in 2000; just something I found while I was surfing the web. I doubt posting now would make a difference. But it does show you someone's pre-conceived idea about our state.

HOT ROD
11-09-2005, 09:22 PM
You know, Im not offended by the person's post or curiosity. I think it was a great way to say 'hey, this is what I heard, but Im willing to learn what reality is - can someone in the know inform me?'

Hopefully, someone did. And as ambassadors for OKC, we all should not be so offended by their ignorance but instead be the one to change their view about Oklahoma City.

One person's perception can go a long way, and just think - by informing one - you get PR that shines through the people they know and so on..... Having the NBA in our front yard and the other attractions and progressive movement not only illustrates the desireability of the city but also generates positive pr - hopefully leading to a changed perception, if not a move or visit to the city.

It may take time, but look how far OKC has come in 15 years, not to mention 5!!!! In 2010, I say - re-survey those people about OKC and you will probably have a changed image and perception of the city (than hickville, cowboys/indians, teepees, so on that you all allude to).

Continue the great work of the Renaissance of OKC