View Full Version : CVS Drugstores

Pete
11-18-2021, 01:16 PM
CVS will close 900 stores (about 10% of their locations) over the next 3 years.

They have not revealed which stores will shutter, but given the high number, you can expect at least a few to be in Oklahoma.

The drug store business is yet another heavily impacted by online shopping and Amazon.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/18/investing/cvs-store-closures/index.html

Plutonic Panda
11-18-2021, 04:31 PM
I hope they don’t shut the one at danforth and Bryant down but wouldn’t be surprised

HOT ROD
11-18-2021, 04:32 PM
would LOVE for the Asian District location at 23rd and Classen to be repurposed.

Bill Robertson
11-18-2021, 04:54 PM
I try to feel guilty about using Amazon but for instance I take generic Tylenol Arthritis like candy. BTW, with my doctors blessing. But in my 60s I have to make every dollar go as far as possible and Amazon is WAY cheaper than CVS, Walgreens or even Walmart.

chssooner
11-18-2021, 05:01 PM
would LOVE for the Asian District location at 23rd and Classen to be repurposed.

Isn't that a Walgreens?

Pete
11-18-2021, 05:06 PM
Isn't that a Walgreens?

Both CVS (NE) and Walgreens (SW) are on that corner.

scottk
11-18-2021, 06:14 PM
I hope they don’t shut the one at danforth and Bryant down but wouldn’t be surprised

That store was recently built. I imagine most of the locations closed will be older stores that are still a part of strip malls and also served by another CVS close by or are competing directly with a Walgreens across the street.

Pete
11-18-2021, 06:31 PM
CVS also recently took over the pharmacies inside Target and in many cases they have free-standing stores almost next door.

That is the case at NW 50th & May as there is a Target right across the street.

Mississippi Blues
11-18-2021, 06:55 PM

I have this thought every time I go past it. Not that every building has to be inspiring but that CVS in particular has always looked pretty rough to me.

Plutonic Panda
11-18-2021, 07:16 PM
That store was recently built. I imagine most of the locations closed will be older stores that are still a part of strip malls and also served by another CVS close by or are competing directly with a Walgreens across the street.
The pharmacy stays pretty busy but do you not think it’s kind of empty sometimes

oklip955
11-19-2021, 03:59 AM
I use the one at Danforth and Sante fe. Add in there is another at Bryant and 15th plus others such as Target at 2nd and Bryant. I never could understand why they build so many stores in Edmond. Most of their store items seem way over prices with smaller sizes and higher prices. Unless you are using their coupons it doesnt seem worth shopping their. I get the idea of grabbing some milk if one is there to pick up a prescription but other wise the prices are way too high.

poe
11-19-2021, 04:32 AM
Just think how closing these stores will help the environment. There will be less of those hilariously long receipts to throw away.

Bill Robertson
11-19-2021, 04:54 AM
CVS also recently took over the pharmacies inside Target and in many cases they have free-standing stores almost next door.

That is the case at NW 50th & May as there is a Target right across the street.I just learned that recently. An employee went to that CVS for her booster shot. The free standing store didn't do whichever vaccine she wanted but the in Target one did.

Plutonic Panda
11-19-2021, 10:34 AM
I use the one at Danforth and Sante fe. Add in there is another at Bryant and 15th plus others such as Target at 2nd and Bryant. I never could understand why they build so many stores in Edmond. Most of their store items seem way over prices with smaller sizes and higher prices. Unless you are using their coupons it doesnt seem worth shopping their. I get the idea of grabbing some milk if one is there to pick up a prescription but other wise the prices are way too high.
I live right around the corner so it’s nice for me having that CVS Plus it’s nice and new

scottk
11-19-2021, 06:02 PM
I never could understand why they build so many stores in Edmond.

It's one of the few commercial things that can be built in Edmond without the NIMBY's showing up to city council meetings crying and yelling over development in a town of almost 100k people. However, I know there were concerns about some of the CVS's being 24 hours in Edmond City Limits and bring in the "riff raft" in the overnight hours. :p

Bunty
11-20-2021, 12:34 AM
I try to feel guilty about using Amazon but for instance I take generic Tylenol Arthritis like candy. BTW, with my doctors blessing. But in my 60s I have to make every dollar go as far as possible and Amazon is WAY cheaper than CVS, Walgreens or even Walmart.

Since Amazon had to start charging sales taxes, I feel less guilty about using it. But I'll try to go local by buying at Best Buy, Lowes, and Wal-Mart and others if they have it and so I can have it nearly immediately.

Plutonic Panda
12-22-2021, 11:04 PM
Walgreens closing 200 stores:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/06/walgreens-to-close-200-stores-in-us.html

citywokchinesefood
12-23-2021, 11:01 AM
Walgreens closing 200 stores:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/06/walgreens-to-close-200-stores-in-us.html

Looks like everything is not all right in Perfect.

DowntownMan
12-23-2021, 12:15 PM
Looks like everything is not all right in Perfect.

This article on Walgreens is from 2019

Plutonic Panda
12-23-2021, 01:33 PM
This article on Walgreens is from 2019
Indeed it is. I really need to remind myself to check the dates on news articles. That is something I usually forget to do. My mistake.