View Full Version : Private Chuch Schools

Faith
11-08-2005, 03:01 PM
I had to switch my kindergarten son recently from the public school to a private school. Public schools just don't work out for me. The curriculum isn't as advanced, there are too many students to teachers, and I don't agree with their disclipline practices. The private school I chose was St. John's Lutheran Church Private School. I don't know much about the Lutheran dominiation. When I asked the director she told me I could compare it close to methodist more than baptist. My son loves it here so much better than the public school. In kindergarten they are reading at the chuch school to where the public school is introducing the way the letters look.

Patrick
11-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Lutheran is just another protestant denomination. A tad bit more traditional than a Pentecostal or Baptist church, but similar in doctrine.

Rev. Bob
11-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Glad you got him out of the public school. As Christians, we shouldn't expose our children to such a secular environment.

Rev. Bob
11-08-2005, 06:22 PM
By the way, do you remember this thread?

http://www.okctalk.com/t3372-private-school.html

PUGalicious
11-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Glad you got him out of the public school. As Christians, we shouldn't expose our children to such a secular environment.
That's right. Keep them in the bubble. They can't go anywhere but home, church and church school. Anything other than that would be a "secular" environment.

It is utterly ridiculous to tell a Christian parent that they should not have their children in public school because they shouldn't be exposed to "such a secular environment." What better way can a parent train their child how to handle real-world situations than to expose them to the real-world, a.k.a. "a secular environment." Our children's faith or morality has not be diminished by attending public schools; in fact, it's been strengthened in many ways and they have the opportunity to be a shining witness and example to their unchurched classmates.

I don't criticize any parent that chooses to put their child in a private school; however, it's outrageous to say that "as Christians, we shouldn't expose our children to such a secular environment." Where did Jesus spend most of his time? Among the people (sinners) in the "secular environment." Why? Because that is where he could make a difference.

Keith
11-08-2005, 06:59 PM
I had to switch my kindergarten son recently from the public school to a private school. Public schools just don't work out for me. The curriculum isn't as advanced, there are too many students to teachers, and I don't agree with their disclipline practices. The private school I chose was St. John's Lutheran Church Private School. I don't know much about the Lutheran dominiation. When I asked the director she told me I could compare it close to methodist more than baptist. My son loves it here so much better than the public school. In kindergarten they are reading at the chuch school to where the public school is introducing the way the letters look.
I commend you on your decision. As Patrick said, the doctrine is similar to the baptist and methodist denomination. I really believe your son enjoys it more because of the Christian atmosphere. My son was in a private Christian school from preschool, through Kindergarten. He actually went to an Assembly Of God private school, but they were great.

He was also a very happy boy, and learned very quickly. The only reason we took him out of a Christian School was because of lack of funds. He then started in public school, which was ok, however, it was not as good as the Christian school. I wish there were more parents like you that were interested in putting their children in private Christian Schools.

okiemom
11-09-2005, 07:22 AM
There can be major differences between protestant denominations. My huband is Baptist and I'm Methodist (considering changing to Lutherism). Believe me, the differences aren't trival.
As far as kids in a bubble, that's bull. Our youngest children are homeschooled and totally capable of handling real-world situations.
Parents who choose to use private schools or homeschool aren't hiding their kids or being over protective, they'e simply trying to provide the best education possible.
As far as public schools go, our oldest attended public school and did just fine.

okiemom
11-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Rev Bob, children are exposed to a secular environment everytime they turn on the tv or radio, or walk out the door. That's life. A strong enough family at home and the secular environment won't matter.

PUGalicious
11-09-2005, 07:41 AM
As far as kids in a bubble, that's bull. Our youngest children are homeschooled and totally capable of handling real-world situations.
I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I wasn't criticizing people who homeschool, just Rev. Bob's implication that Christians should keep them out of public school to protect them from "a secular environment."

okiemom
11-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Hi scribe, no offense taken. I actually agree with you about Rev. Bob's comment.

escan
11-09-2005, 12:30 PM
I must really be clueless...I thought Rev. Bob was being sarcastic...that's how I read it...I just thought no one could actually be serious with that comment. Now I get it.....

Patrick
11-09-2005, 12:49 PM
There can be major differences between protestant denominations. My huband is Baptist and I'm Methodist (considering changing to Lutherism). Believe me, the differences aren't trival.
Parents who choose to use private schools or homeschool aren't hiding their kids or being over protective, they'e simply trying to provide the best education possible.
As far as public schools go, our oldest attended public school and did just fine.

It depends on what you mean by "trivial."

The overall major beliefs in Christ, the crucifiction, etc. are the same. Differences lie in areas like the role of women in the church, eternal security, infant baptism, type of baptism, structure of worship, spirtual gifts, value of baptism, value of sacraments, forms of the Holy Spirit, etc. Overall, the Southern Baptists and Prebyterian Church USA are more conservative. Methodists are more liberal....i.e., allow women pastors, deacons, etc., allow gay wedding ceremonies, etc. Lutherans fall somewhere in the middle.

I guess the eternal security issue is a big one. Baptists believe that once you've truly given your life to Christ, you can't lose you salvation. Most of the other protestant denominations believe you can lose your salvation, and gain it back again.

Faith
11-09-2005, 01:49 PM
The decision was easy to make the move. The cost wasn't much more than kindergarten before/after school care, the education is better in my opinion, and the christian values are there.

I know the director at the Lutheran school said there is a difference in the belief of what the bread and wine in the communion actually stand for between Baptist, Methodist, and Lutheran. I'm just not sure of all the differences. As far as the denomination goes it doesn't matter to me. I consider my self non-denominational. I believe in God and the Bible, making the right choices, and raising my children up to be good people.

okiemom
11-09-2005, 05:03 PM
okcgoddess, I'm glad you found a school that works well for your family.

okiemom
11-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Sorry, methodist churches do NOT perform gay marriage ceromonies.

Faith
11-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Sorry, methodist churches do NOT perform gay marriage ceromonies.

What do you mean? Lutheran churches do? And why are you sorry?

sweetdaisy
11-10-2005, 11:59 AM
okcgoddes, I think she was responding to one of Patrick's posts. Patrick indicated Methodist churches are much more liberal used the example that they allow gay marriage

Prunepicker
11-30-2005, 10:04 PM
I know the director at the Lutheran school said there is a difference in the belief of what the bread and wine in the communion actually stand for between Baptist, Methodist, and Lutheran. I'm just not sure of all the differences.

Southern Baptist believe that the Bread is symbolic of Jesus' body (not literally his body) and the Wine is symbolic of Jesus' blood which he shed.
1 Cor. 11:24-25

24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

Also, Luke 22:19-20

Prunepicker