View Full Version : Truck Yard

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
10-19-2021, 05:34 PM
Texas-based Truck Yard planned for Bricktown (https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=752-Texas-based-Truck-Yard-planned-for-Bricktown)

A large bar, live music venue and food truck park is being planned for an empty lot along the Bricktown canal.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard7.jpg

The Truck Yard is a popular 'adult playground' in the Lower Greenville area of Dallas. They also have locations in Houston and The Colony, Texas.

It consists of a large indoor/outdoor beer garden, live music venue and food truck park.

The Dallas location has at least three rotating food trucks every day and live music multiple times a week. They also showcase custom trucks and operate from 11 AM to midnight every day.

Truck Yard is family- and dog-friendly but transitions to 21+ after 9 PM.

The location in Oklahoma City would be next to the Oklahoma Land Run Monument, which features 45 oversized bronze sculptures at the south end of the Bricktown Canal. The location is just south of Bass Pro Shops and adjacent to a large parking lot to the east.

Plans show the intent to start work in June of next year and open the following spring.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard9.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard8.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard102521a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard101921ie.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard101921b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard101921d.jpg

Pete
10-19-2021, 05:36 PM
This is a very big deal.

The Truck Yard is very popular and always busy in Dallas and we all know that the south end of the canal is mostly dead.

That will all change once this place opens. Huge get for OKC and the canal.

https://truckyarddallas.com/

PhiAlpha
10-19-2021, 05:51 PM
This is such a massive win for Bricktown and the Canal. If you've ever been to the Truck Yard in Dallas, you know how huge this is. Unbelievable and such a great way to activate that dead part of the canal. Side benefit is showcasing the Landrun Monument which is kind of hidden down there. Though the number of people who attempt to mount the statues is about to increase exponentially lol.

Side Note: Pete's probably going to get some fun FB comments to add to the collection for this one.

Southsider2
10-19-2021, 05:55 PM
WOW. This place kicks a** I am very excited. Agreed this is a very big deal.

chssooner
10-19-2021, 06:35 PM
The sticks in the mud are out in force on Facebook.

Bowser214
10-19-2021, 06:44 PM
This is such a big deal! I loved going to the TY on lower Greenville ave in Dallas I think the BT location is brilliant! So excited for this!

LocoAko
10-19-2021, 06:58 PM

Oh yeah. I'll admit my initial thought was that this felt a bit weird, like putting a massive bar in the middle of a greenspace/park and bringing a ton of noise/cars to an otherwise quiet area, but upon further thought it will probably be nice to activate that part of the canal a bit more as it is very underutilized. Seems like the people who are familiar with TY in Texas are excited, and it's the folks who don't know it who aren't. Between this and the pending development in the SW part of Bricktown (along with the fix-up of the former Tapwerks building) there could be a lot of more life coming to the area in the next few years.

Pete
10-19-2021, 07:01 PM
Also, this is not only the turnaround for the canal boats, it's also the transition where you can jump on the Oklahoma River Cruisers.

This is going to bring a bunch of people to the monument (which is amazing and way over-looked), the canal boats and the river cruise... And the Boathouse District is a short walk under the bridge.

shawnw
10-19-2021, 08:49 PM

let me guess... where will we park for free when there are ball games etc and these parking lots are already full

chssooner
10-19-2021, 08:58 PM
let me guess... where will we park for free when there are ball games etc and these parking lots are already full

Nah, worrying about detracting from the Land Run monument (I honestly didn't know it existed which shows it isn't super talked about). This will bring new recognition to the monument, liek Pete said.

shawnw
10-19-2021, 10:32 PM
I'm just glad to see canal-front development and no new parking

coop2773
10-20-2021, 07:12 AM
let me guess... where will we park for free when there are ball games etc and these parking lots are already fullWhy do you need to park for free? You are going to a ball game, pay like most people do in real towns! This is a good addition for OKC and you are worried about free parking. Guess I don't have to wonder why it's taken so long to develop Bricktown.

Anonymous.
10-20-2021, 07:12 AM
Well this was a pleasant surprise. I did not even know that was a lot there to be developed. Crazy that it hasn't had something with traction before. That sea of parking on the E side of Bricktown has always felt so desolate and cold. This will be a nice spark.

Oski
10-20-2021, 07:13 AM
That's a huge parking lot, why don't they take a piece out and develop this venue in that? I feel bad for the monument when the junk cars (from this venue) are placed just several feet away.

David
10-20-2021, 07:16 AM
Interesting. I would not have guessed that was a lot that was available for development.

Pete
10-20-2021, 07:17 AM
They want to be on the canal and the canal -- especially that section -- desperately needs life.

Ginkasa
10-20-2021, 07:17 AM
My first thought was "awesome" but when I saw where exactly it was I will admit I kind of lamented the loss of a quiet walking area around the Land Run Monument. I've been known to take a chill walk around the path from time to time. But I think the positive overall will outweigh any potential negatives.

shawnw
10-20-2021, 07:26 AM
Why do you need to park for free? You are going to a ball game, pay like most people do in real towns! This is a good addition for OKC and you are worried about free parking. Guess I don't have to wonder why it's taken so long to develop Bricktown.

I hope you're kidding and recognized that I was making fun of that crowd because I promise I'm one of the most anti-parking people on this board.

therhett17
10-20-2021, 07:37 AM
This will be really good for Bricktown! Need some more stuff to do down there

therhett17
10-20-2021, 07:41 AM

At Bass Pro, like everyone else... lol

warreng88
10-20-2021, 07:46 AM
I engaged with someone on Facebook yesterday who was asking where everyone was going to park. I said, "Probably by the massive parking lot right next to it..."

Pete
10-20-2021, 07:47 AM
^

*massive almost complete unused parking lot.

coop2773
10-20-2021, 07:51 AM
I hope you're kidding and recognized that I was making fun of that crowd because I promise I'm one of the most anti-parking people on this board.I wasn't kidding, but easily could've misunderstood your comment. For that I apologize. I get fired up quick about people here who don't want OKC to be better! Sorry.

warreng88
10-20-2021, 07:53 AM
^

*massive almost complete unused parking lot.

Exactly. There are about three days a year (not during a pandemic) that lot gets filled up, NYE, July 4th and maybe one other day when the Dodgers and Thunder are playing a home game on the same day.

amocore
10-20-2021, 08:06 AM
Excellent news. BT lacks of nice patios, and totally lack of nice patios open to 21 and under. It will be perfect to take the kids for a stroll and stop for a beer !

kzizok
10-20-2021, 08:25 AM
Pretty cool place as I have been to the one in Houston. And, it connects to the trail system so could be a nice spot for a beer, etc.

shawnw
10-20-2021, 08:33 AM
I wasn't kidding, but easily could've misunderstood your comment. For that I apologize. I get fired up quick about people here who don't want OKC to be better! Sorry.

It's cool. You'd be hard pressed to find bigger advocates for improving the city than many of us on this board, and I'm certainly no exception.

jerrywall
10-20-2021, 08:42 AM
This is neat. Like others, I was mainly surprised that there COULD be development in this area. I've lamented how empty and unused that end of the canal is, and while the monument is nice and the landscaping and park type feel is cool at that end of the canal, there's really not much of a reason for anyone to travel down there.

Bill Robertson
10-20-2021, 09:42 AM
Wow! I don't look at the FB page often but I can't believe the negative nellies on this one.

Pete
10-20-2021, 10:07 AM
Wow! I don't look at the FB page often but I can't believe the negative nellies on this one.

And I already hid a bunch of the worst ones.

But generally, I try not to even look because it makes me fear for humanity.

OkiePoke
10-20-2021, 10:09 AM
Please post some of the good ones. I don't FB.

shawnw
10-20-2021, 10:23 AM
Will the big building have a second floor or is it just high ceilings? If just high ceilings, that is a missed opportunity for cool views (skyline, boathouse stuff [e.g. fireworks], sunsets, etc).

Pete
10-20-2021, 10:34 AM
^

I believe it is just one level.

BridgeBurner
10-21-2021, 12:52 PM
Unbelievably stoked about this! Was just at the Greenville location during OU/TX and talking to my Dallas friends about how Truckyard and Katy Trail are my two favorite bars in their city and that it was a shame that OKC couldn't really figure it out with the Yard and Bleu Garten.
Agree with shawnnw's comment above, surprised they aren't adding one of the two story "towers" (see Pete's second pic on original post) as there should be some cool views from this location. The tower also makes for a great reservation space for large parties and a shade structure for the people underneath where I usually post up lol.

jn1780
10-21-2021, 12:53 PM
Oh yeah. I'll admit my initial thought was that this felt a bit weird, like putting a massive bar in the middle of a greenspace/park and bringing a ton of noise/cars to an otherwise quiet area, but upon further thought it will probably be nice to activate that part of the canal a bit more as it is very underutilized. Seems like the people who are familiar with TY in Texas are excited, and it's the folks who don't know it who aren't. Between this and the pending development in the SW part of Bricktown (along with the fix-up of the former Tapwerks building) there could be a lot of more life coming to the area in the next few years.

Yeah, my thoughts as well. Then I remembered that the parking lot and overpass doesn't look great either so what difference does it make if we lost a little bit of greenspace.

thunderbird
10-22-2021, 07:19 AM
I wonder if any local developers or operators were made aware of this property suddenly being available or if this was just another back room Cathy O’Connell deal that seems to only be offered to copy and paste out of state deals.

Pete
10-22-2021, 07:25 AM
I wonder if any local developers or operators were made aware of this property suddenly being available or if this was just another back room Cathy O’Connell deal that seems to only be offered to copy and paste out of state deals.

As part of his deal that was struck long ago, Randy Hogan has control of that property and the right to develop it.

I know he had been working with the Truck Yard for some time.

BoulderSooner
10-22-2021, 07:41 AM

okc doesn't own this property ..

this is Hogan

shawnw
10-22-2021, 08:33 AM
Does Hogan own land run? Could he bulldoze it if he wanted? Or would the city get involved?

BoulderSooner
10-22-2021, 09:41 AM
Does Hogan own land run? Could he bulldoze it if he wanted? Or would the city get involved?

he doesn't and it sits on the city easement ...... the same as him not being able to demo the canal

jerrywall
10-22-2021, 10:21 AM
I had always assumed that the stretch of the canal south of the crosstown was pretty much undevelopable, because of how curated it looks through there. I think it's great to get something along the canal there. Is there more available space that could be developed that is controlled by Hogan (or anyone else), or is this about the extent of it?

BoulderSooner
10-22-2021, 10:34 AM
I had always assumed that the stretch of the canal south of the crosstown was pretty much undevelopable, because of how curated it looks through there. I think it's great to get something along the canal there. Is there more available space that could be developed that is controlled by Hogan (or anyone else), or is this about the extent of it?

there are a lot of small spots that are ripe for development on the canal in south bricktown .... i have heard that they are all now being looked at ..

catch22
10-22-2021, 12:05 PM
This looks like a great activation of that part of the canal. It's dead down there.

shawnw
10-22-2021, 12:09 PM
Great that they're all being looked at. And kinda cool that MAPs I stuff is still spurring economic development 30 years later.

GoGators
10-22-2021, 02:20 PM
I'm hopeful this development will help give the Boathouse District a little bit of life. This project is going to bring a lot of new activity to an area that is a 5 min walk to the Chesapeake Boathouse.

shawnw
10-22-2021, 03:19 PM
What could really help boost carry-over traffic (from LBT to RiverSport) would be renovating the former river cruise ticket booth area into something else, maybe a food stand or something. IDK.

But also better maintenance of the underpass. Lights keep getting taken out and aren't repaired fast enough IMO.

amocore
04-29-2022, 03:27 PM
Any update or timeline for this project ?

I hope it is still a go.

Urbanized
04-29-2022, 03:33 PM
^^^^^
I had a conversation last week with a reliable third party who said it's all still very much a go.

Pete
05-02-2022, 04:24 PM
I was told they performed some environmental studies and got an all-clear, so we should start to see some movement soon.

Pete
06-09-2022, 01:32 PM
Nothing happening quite yet. Such a nice spot.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard060922a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard060922b.jpg

Pete
07-20-2022, 11:31 AM
There was just a filing to split off this property, so hopefully we'll see building permit applications soon.

Pete
08-09-2022, 03:18 PM
Truck Yard has filed a design-review document that mainly deals with signage:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard080222a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard080222b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard080222c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard080222d.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard080222e.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard080222f.jpg

Bowser214
02-21-2023, 11:25 AM
Drove by the location Sunday and still nothing.

Pete
02-21-2023, 11:30 AM
Just last week, there was an OCURA agenda item to transfer ownership of the underlying property to Truck Yard.

This project is still moving forward and I suspect construction will be starting soon.

Bowser214
02-21-2023, 04:37 PM
Awesome! Bricktown and downtown were busy Sunday afternoon.

unfundedrick
02-21-2023, 09:11 PM
Awesome! Bricktown and downtown were busy Sunday afternoon.

Very true. I was downtown to see a show at the Civic Center. When I left traffic was really bad. There were lanes blocked off in some areas with police directing traffic. There had to be something more than just normal happenings.

Pete
03-05-2023, 06:41 AM
Building permits have been filed and work is set to start on a bar, live music venue and food truck park along the Bricktown canal.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard030523d.jpg

The Truck Yard is a popular 'adult playground' in the Lower Greenville area of Dallas. They also have locations in Houston and The Colony, Texas.

It consists of a large indoor/outdoor beer garden, live music venue and food truck park.

The Dallas location has at least three rotating food trucks every day and live music multiple times a week. They also showcase custom trucks and operate 11 AM to midnight every day.

Truck Yard is family- and dog-friendly but becomes 21+ after 9 PM.

The location in Oklahoma City will be next to the Oklahoma Land Run Monument, which features 45 oversized bronze sculptures at the south end of the Bricktown Canal. The location is just south of Bass Pro Shops and already has a large parking lot to the east.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard030523a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard030523b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard030523c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard030523e.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard030523f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/truckyard030523g.jpg

Jeepnokc
03-05-2023, 08:27 AM
Interesting the marque in the sign drawing says that the band playing is Cross Canadian Ragweed. CCR broke up in 2010 and as far as I know have no plans of reuniting.

Will Dearborn
03-05-2023, 05:16 PM
Looks like a cool spot and will definitely give it a chance but afraid its location is just going to attract more Bricktown knuckleheads.

TheTravellers
03-06-2023, 08:40 AM
Looks like a cool spot and will definitely give it a chance but afraid its location is just going to attract more Bricktown knuckleheads.

Yeah, I can see a bunch of drunk idiots all over the statuary, roaming around, etc. - they might want to hire twice as much security as they think they need.