View Full Version : Restaurant Happenings

imafish
11-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Im fairly new at this so bear with me.

Shorty Smalls which was previously located at 3601 S. Broadway has closed. Its new location will be on I240 & Penn. :ohno: Im not sure what happened there. I thought they had good business there. If anyone knows about it share your knowledge.

On a more positive we are getting a new restaurant to open in december. It is called Yellowtail, specializing in seafood. I think it is going to be where the old Santa Fe Cattle Company used to be on Broadway.

Karried
11-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks for sharing, Imafish and welcome! Why are you a fish by the way?

jbrown84
11-08-2005, 07:40 PM
I've noticed the south Broadway area doesn't seem to be good for restaurants. Marie Callender's, Perkin's, Santa Fe Cattle Co., Shorty Smalls, Cocina De Mino, and others have all gone out in recent years.

I think maybe it's because this area is kind of between the Quail Springs area and the rest of Edmond.

TheImmortal
11-12-2005, 10:55 PM
It is also alot harder to get across to those restaurants form the oppostie side of the road. I barely ever go to Outback or chili's because it is just a pain. Broadway just isn't very pedestrian friendly once you get sounth of 2nd, and just isnt pedestrian friendly what so ever past 33rd.

ccsokc
11-20-2005, 09:27 PM
I completely agree with "TheImmortal" comments on South Broadway

There are currently 3 noticeable problems:

1.) Lack of access
2.) Speed of traffic on Broadway
3.) Extremely high traffic count in the area

Part of the problem, besides the already discussed lack of access, is the HUGE amount of northbound traffic that, at most instances, is still going 55 - 60, (not the 45 as posted) almost all the way to the Chili's. This is due probably to the increase again to 6 lanes and no stoplight between the end of the Broad. Ext. and SE. 33 in Edmond. On the Southbound side, people start excelerating to 60 plus after SE 33rd. I have noticed, though, that OKC and Edmond police have stepped up patrol of that area with more police and more recently a "radar-sign" northbound that tells you how fast you are going. The Daily Oklahoman even did a story in the business section a while back on that part of Broadway. If anybody has that link, or if its posted in on the site somewhere, that would be great to add to this thread. Edmond is a thriving city, but will have to fix the problems in this area especially since the old Wal-mart at 33rd and Broadway will close next year, and that corner will be redeveloped. That intersection has the highest traffic count of any in Edmond and needs unqiue planning at the city level to help it prosper once again.

jbrown84
11-20-2005, 10:06 PM
There are supposed to be some changes to the Broadway/Memorial/Kelly interchange but I can't remember if they include anything to impove the transition from Broadway Extension to Broadway.

sschindler3@cox.net
01-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Haven't heard it for a while, but they were going to put in a fly-over on Broadway north that would cross over to Kelly and continue north. Edmond wants to get rid of the interchange at Kelly,Memorial, Broadway. A stoplight is also going in at the intersection there by Golden Corral. That hopes to stop the speeding idiots on their cell phones rushing home at night at 60 MPH about where Yellowtail is now. I am going to try Yellowtail tonight as a matter of fact.
Any updates on these happenings is appreciated.

sschindler3@cox.net
01-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Marie Callendar and Santa Fe Steak House closed because no one couold get across Broadway at dinner hour.

Patrick
01-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Haven't heard it for a while, but they were going to put in a fly-over on Broadway north that would cross over to Kelly and continue north. Edmond wants to get rid of the interchange at Kelly,Memorial, Broadway. A stoplight is also going in at the intersection there by Golden Corral. That hopes to stop the speeding idiots on their cell phones rushing home at night at 60 MPH about where Yellowtail is now. I am going to try Yellowtail tonight as a matter of fact.
Any updates on these happenings is appreciated.

That stop light should definitely bring highway traffic to a screaching hault. I'm glad to see it.

TheImmortal
01-16-2006, 09:38 AM
I heard a little rumor from a very dependable source that Primo's Italian Resturaunt was looking at the I-35 area to build. This was a few months back, but I predict that this will be a continuing trend withthe huge retail center being built along 15th and the service road, and with the possibility of a new hotel/convention center which could possibly be placed in the area.

sschindler3@cox.net
01-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Highly possible there. Primo's just put in a restaurant accross from Tinker in the fairly new hotel/restaurant convention center complex there.
Wonder where on I-35 a new one would go??
Need some more choices in the Edmond area, particularly in the growing west area.

Jack
01-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Very nice. Primos in Yukon has been a favorite of mine for years.