View Full Version : Funeral Protest

Karried
11-08-2005, 11:26 AM
I was amazed to hear on the radio this morning that the wacked out protestors from Kansas were coming to Edmond to protest at the funeral of our fallen soldier David Martin. Even though I am so horrified at the loss of life in this war, that was just too much... so I went with a friend to offer support to the family by holding an American flag - I wanted to show the family, politics aside, that they have support of the community.

Turns out only 3 members of this group showed up but their signs were brutal.

" Thank God for Dead Soldiers" How sickening.

Motorcyclists show support for fallen soldier

By The Associated Press
EDMOND -- About 200 motorcyclists rolled into Edmond today to support the family of a soldier killed in Iraq and to drown out protests from about a half-dozen members from a Kansas church.

The small group from Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka lined up across the street from New Covenant Methodist Church where funeral services are planned for Army Pfc. David Martin.

Martin and three other soldiers with the 101st Airborne were killed by a roadside bomb while on patrol Oct. 31 south of Baghdad.

Those protesting say God is punishing American soldiers because of homosexuality in the U.S. They're holding signs saying - quote - "God Blew up the Troops."

The motorcyclists revved their engines to drown out the protesters. Edmond police Capt. Tim Dorsey urged the motorcyclists to not confront the protesters and support Martin's family by waving flags.

fromdust
11-09-2005, 08:06 PM
they were here a few weeks ago to protest another funeral. these people are nuts and i wish they would stop coming here, unfortunatley they have a right to do this. ours soldiers are the best and they are heros and i wish these nuts would see this.

Keith
11-09-2005, 08:19 PM
I was amazed to hear on the radio this morning that the wacked out protestors from Kansas were coming to Edmond to protest at the funeral of our fallen soldier David Martin. Even though I am so horrified at the loss of life in this war, that was just too much... so I went with a friend to offer support to the family by holding an American flag - I wanted to show the family, politics aside, that they have support of the community.

By The Associated Press
EDMOND -- About 200 motorcyclists rolled into Edmond today to support the family of a soldier killed in Iraq and to drown out protests from about a half-dozen members from a Kansas church.

The small group from Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka lined up across the street from New Covenant Methodist Church where funeral services are planned for Army Pfc. David Martin.

Martin and three other soldiers with the 101st Airborne were killed by a roadside bomb while on patrol Oct. 31 south of Baghdad.

Those protesting say God is punishing American soldiers because of homosexuality in the U.S. They're holding signs saying - quote - "God Blew up the Troops."

The motorcyclists revved their engines to drown out the protesters. Edmond police Capt. Tim Dorsey urged the motorcyclists to not confront the protesters and support Martin's family by waving flags.
They give baptists a bad name. To me, they are more of a cult. I am thankful that the motorcyclists were there. The small group did not represent good, they represented evil. Unfortunately, like fromdust said, they have every right to protest.

That's why I have an American Flag flying in my yard 24/7. I want to show the troups that this American supports them and their efforts.

PUGalicious
11-10-2005, 04:23 AM

By The Associated Press

As most anyone who reads my posts knows, I don't support this war. However, I honor and support the troops serving their country. And I think both pro-war and anti-war Americans can at least agree on this: This church group is grossly offensive and outrageous. They not only give Baptists a bad name, they give Christians a bad name. Their messages certainly don't reflect Christ's teachings. If they are truly Christians — and it's hard to tell by their "fruit" — they will have much to answer for when they face God on Judgement Day.

sweetdaisy
11-10-2005, 12:08 PM
It amazes me that the media continues to cover this obnoxious group of folks. If people would just ignore them, the "message" wouldn't have the desired impact. (Easier said than done, I know.)

They were talking about this group (CULT!) on the radio yesterday morning. A lady called in and gave some interesting info about them. Apparently, one of the ways they support themselves and their "mission" is by agitating people with their protests and then once they get attacked, the group successfully sues for assault. It's all a huge game to them. Another interesting tidbit of info is that some of these folks are remnants of the Branch Davidian group from Waco. EEK.

I just keep thinking that they'll eventually drink some funky Kool-Aid and go to their great big spaceship in the sky.

Karried
11-10-2005, 12:47 PM
We can only hope Sweetdaisy - I checked out their website - evil incarnate...

fromdust
11-10-2005, 07:01 PM
As most anyone who reads my posts knows, I don't support this war. However, I honor and support the troops serving their country. And I think both pro-war and anti-war Americans can at least agree on this: This church group is grossly offensive and outrageous. They not only give Baptists a bad name, they give Christians a bad name. Their messages certainly don't reflect Christ's teachings. If they are truly Christians — and it's hard to tell by their "fruit" — they will have much to answer for when they face God on Judgement Day.

well put!